Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA DL HH
Anytime a fed gets fired for telling the truth, we all lose. This ruling is absurd, it means the TSA can cover up malfeasance, even retroactively, by designating the information SSI. Whistleblower protection is a myth.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:28 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I guess I read this incident differently. From the limited knowledge I have it would appear that he did went directly to the media with the information rather than first make attempts to change the direction the TSA moving. Failure to attempt change before whistle blowing would seem to make the board decision and his firing reasonable.
He didn't go straight to the media. This was in the bad old days in the FAMS. Director Quinn's dictatorial style refused to take into any input from the field. FAMs tried and tried, but the media was the only option available to them.

Bobby tried to do it internally (many, many FAMs did) but only the media listened. And shortly thereafter, this ridiculous policy was changed, directly because of this media exposure.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gofast
Anytime a fed gets fired for telling the truth, we all lose. This ruling is absurd, it means the TSA can cover up malfeasance, even retroactively, by designating the information SSI. Whistleblower protection is a myth.
Except we don't have wrongdoing here that he was blowing the whistle on. We have a decision he didn't agree with and took it to the media, in the process revealing information detrimental to our security.

I agree with protecting whistleblowers but he isn't one.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Except we don't have wrongdoing here that he was blowing the whistle on. We have a decision he didn't agree with and took it to the media, in the process revealing information detrimental to our security.

It was a decision that he, and many others, felt put civilian aviation at risk. He felt it's wrong to make decisions that endanger people's lives. One might disagree with his assessment, but it was more than just he disagreed with a decision.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:27 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
He took the action necessary to "blow the whistle" on a practice he considered dangerous/bad/whatever. If the policy was sound; so what if he revealed it? He did not reveal any confidential info; the person(s) who sent that info "in the clear" did that.

If this guy is not a "whistleblower", who is? Any policy that does not interpret the term as broadly as possible loses any real meaning.

The guy works for the government. Government should be as open to the people as possible; how are we to make voting decisions if we are not allowed to know the policies enacted by the people for whom we vote? A postal employee telling the public that his delivery route is inefficiently designed may not be a whitsleblower, but he should certainly not be fired for telling the public this information.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Fredd
Methinks he was actually fired for the crime of embarrassing his bosses.
+1.

typical government behavior. Because they can.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
And shortly thereafter, this ridiculous policy was changed, directly because of this media exposure.
So, I guess, in the end, he paid a price for everyone else's safety. So it goes. I hope he can find good work elsewhere-- seems like his heart was in the right place, anyway. He looks young enough, too, to start a new career. Hopefully this wont tarnish his record too much.

I have to ask, though, what if they didn't reverse the policy? Then wouldn't all would-be terrorists know that certain flights were FAM-less?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i happen to agree. maybe i read the decision wrong but but the former fam did go thru proper channels and got nowhere. if it had been a nuclear reactor or something similar that could pose a threat to public safety and the person was stonewalled in their attempts to get the situation rectified, what avenues are left?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Ari
I have to ask, though, what if they didn't reverse the policy? Then wouldn't all would-be terrorists know that certain flights were FAM-less?
We only have the TSA's word the policy was in fact reversed. Don't know about you, but that means diddly to me.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
We only have the TSA's word the policy was in fact reversed. Don't know about you, but that means diddly to me.
The TSA would never lie to us.

I trust law dawg's post here on a blog more than I trust the TSA statement . . . so sad.

But there is evidence that the policy was reversed other than the TSA's claim:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...agreement.shtm
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmg...ip/t269614.htm
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: TSA
Wow

The really bad thing is that after something like this comes out, it cannot be considered ssi anymore. I would have to agree that he pissed off the wrong people.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
The TSA would never lie to us.

I trust law dawg's post here on a blog more than I trust the TSA statement . . . so sad.

But there is evidence that the policy was reversed other than the TSA's claim:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...agreement.shtm
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmg...ip/t269614.htm
It was reversed.

And yeah, your question is accurate as to what would have happened if they hadn't reversed the policy, but it was a 99.9999999999999% chance they would. Congress wouldn't have stood for it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goalie
i happen to agree. maybe i read the decision wrong but but the former fam did go thru proper channels and got nowhere. if it had been a nuclear reactor or something similar that could pose a threat to public safety and the person was stonewalled in their attempts to get the situation rectified, what avenues are left?
The Washington Post and the New York Times.

This why the failure of Congress to enact protection for whistleblowers is so short sighted and stupid. It forces people to leak to the press.

Which is probably what they want, oddly enough.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
True enough, but the TSA, by definition, is an embarrassment to all connected with it, be they employees, scumbags "in charge" of TSA, or those who must deal with this disgusting, un-American agency each time they fly.

Time to wipe this embarrassing mistake out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.