Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
10-4 my friend ;-)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
AA 522 ABQ - DFW out of B1 @ ABQ.

2 smurfs & 1 smurfette show up about 15 mins before boarding is supposed to start.

GA makes the announcement about carry-ons, etc. Screener starts prowling the gate area demanding ID & BP.

One screener plants himself next to the BP reader so he can, AGAIN, demand BP & ID.

Third screener plants himself next to the bag sizer & makes a production out of eyeballing everyone's carry-ons (since nothing ended up being gate checked, that was yet more 'theater').

When do the TSA sequestration cuts take effect??????

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I think the sequester will catch up with them in July. Right now they've cut all new hires and training, the revolving door of TSA clerks will have them eventually lose a lot of staff by summer. So expect the gate searches and 2x2 walk patrols to end, and unmanned checkpoints to be exaggerated.
I don't agree. TSA will cut the checkpoint functions first because one of the goals is to make the sequester as painful as possible on the public, with the Administration hoping that doing so will cause the public to complain, hence forcing Congress to restore their funding.

They would rather spend more time trying to convince the public that sequester is a bad idea than they would spending small amounts of time to improve efficiency & live with the sequester.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:28 pm

I remember 1 or 2 international flights going from London to Detroit where gate searches were done prior to departure even though we had questions at check in then normal security thing to get into sterile area but that was a few years ago too.

I flew from Dublin back to JFK, had the questions at check in then normal security process then when going through preclearance there was a short security check of sorts with customs people. It was painless and did not take that long as I thought.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
I remember 1 or 2 international flights going from London to Detroit where gate searches were done prior to departure even though we had questions at check in then normal security thing to get into sterile area but that was a few years ago too.

I flew from Dublin back to JFK, had the questions at check in then normal security process then when going through preclearance there was a short security check of sorts with customs people. It was painless and did not take that long as I thought.
Have you ever seen a gate search after departure??
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel

This is standard procedure for all international flights to the US.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
A couple days ago, announcement from the GA said to have bp and id out for TSA inspection. I was #2 down the jetway. There were two clerks re-checking id's. The first guy presented as requested. I had not pulled out either, just to see what would happen.

The second clerk looked at me and merely said "I'm sorry." as if he was in my way as I continued walking.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
A couple days ago, announcement from the GA said to have bp and id out for TSA inspection. I was #2 down the jetway. There were two clerks re-checking id's. The first guy presented as requested. I had not pulled out either, just to see what would happen.

The second clerk looked at me and merely said "I'm sorry." as if he was in my way as I continued walking.
Which, of course, he was.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Protect the carpet: Strange TSA procedure at Delta gate

Last Monday morning while waiting to start boarding for a flight from ATL-ORF, the GA makes an announcement that the TSA is in the gate area and for us to have our legal ids out to be checked.

A few minutes later, the TSA agent comes into the gatehouse and tells everyone to "move off the carpet." This results in everyone either jamming onto the tiled area leading up to the SkyPriority lane or into the concourse. While we're standing there watching this martinet of a man do his thing, a passenger walks up to the podium to ask a question of the GA. He is immediately told to move off the carpet.

Strangely enough, he didn't check any ids from the first class passengers. I don't know if he actually checked anything at all. Has anyone else run into id checks at the gate or this strange "move off the carpet" behavior?

My thought is that maybe he needed to focus on keeping people out the line who are trying to board ahead of their boarding priority. This would be a better use of his time than re-checking ids.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Doesn't this practice imply that the idiots in blue didn't do their job right the first time?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
I guess TSA is still over-staffed providing secondary screenings in the already security cleared areas. Perhaps the sequester could remove this redundancy and leave all lanes open at the original checkpoint ensuring 'sterile' areas beyond security.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
... tells everyone to "move off the carpet." .
Never heard of this behavior before. Pure power-tripping.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Doesn't this practice imply that the idiots in blue didn't do their job right the first time?
Yes. Discussed extensively in the TS&S forum here.

Originally Posted by b0nd0
I guess TSA is still over-staffed ...
By about 100%.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:54 am

When the RNC was in Tampa last year, I never seem so many smurfs in my life. TSA needs to have some reductions.....
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
YES!!!!

If the original checks works WHY do we need this.

It is either (a) the first check is useless or (b) an employment act.

Either way the Thousands Standing Around is a waste
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards PM
My observation is that there are three of them to do the job of one. Over staffing is an understatement. I unfortunately have to ride the employee shuttle with the and they will knock you down to get on ahead of crew members who are carrying luggage .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.