Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:23 am

I would be DELIGHTED if all the TSA idiots did was simply stand around doing nothing. It accomplishes exactly the same thing as groping non-targets and wanding grandma's bare feet. I would not even harp about paying their salaries if it meant they kept their damn hands the hell away from me!

No chance. Somebody gonna give ya a Public Example grope.

Go for it, folks. Keep lining up for this crap if you think it's wise.

Not I. I'll read your angst and chuckle as you keep going back for more despite their repeated insults.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't reviewed the law in detail, but my initial feeling is that pseudo-random gate-searches are unconstitutional. Though searches at the WTMD checkpoint have long been held constitutional, the rationale for them doesn't apply. A search at the gate is something different, however, and, I believe, is subject to the constitutional standards that apply to vehicle checkpoint searches, e.g. DUI checks, etc. These have two requirements: (1) searches must be truly random, and (2) notice that the checkpoints are in place must be provided. I don't think gate-side inspections satisfy either.

This isn't legal advice -- as I said, I haven't researched the law extensively. However, if I find myself subjected to one and don't absolutely have to be at my destination on time, I just may say, "No, thanks." and walk right on by. It should be interesting.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by honeytoes
I saw gate searches at BOS, ANC, and LAX in the last 5 days. I haven't seen them in a LONG time (a year or more?). Why are they coming back now?

If their x-ray/bag searches at the initial screening area are so poor that they feel they need the "random" gate searches, then why don't they fix the initial search? I hate them so much......
They have to do something to justify their bloated workforce.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Saw that at LAX T2 2-3 weeks ago, but not at SEA, DTW or BUF.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by honeytoes
I saw gate searches at BOS, ANC, and LAX in the last 5 days. I haven't seen them in a LONG time (a year or more?). Why are they coming back now?

If their x-ray/bag searches at the initial screening area are so poor that they feel they need the "random" gate searches, then why don't they fix the initial search? I hate them so much......
They were doing it at SAN this morning
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: US Platinum
At PWM on Friday, TSOs were pulling anyone carrying a visible bottle of water (all of which had obviously been purchased on the secure side, and checking each bottle with a cotton swab.

This particularly annoying because my Zone 4 fiancée was boarding in Zone 1 with me, and she got pulled aside after my BP had been scanned so they could check her unopened bottle of Poland Spring water that she'd owned for 5 minutes for bomb residue. I had to stand in the way like an idiot and wait for this while Zone 2 pushed past me.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
They have to do something to justify their bloated workforce.
^^

Maybe they could have them clean the bathrooms.......
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:22 pm

Complete stupidity today at IND. 7 screeners for a DC-9 flight to DTW. All they were doing is randomly checking IDs. they didn't even have the stupid flashlight to check for a hologram. Complete waste of time. Letter is enroute to Janet.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Noticed several TSA types standing around B43 in MEM on Thursday. Not sure if they were targeting my flight or not - my inbound was late and I blew right past them onto the plane.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by doober
^^

At least then they would make themselves good for something. ^^
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
There was gate checking at PHL, ORD, and SJC yesterday. I had to laugh because in ORD, the US GA announced that "the TSA have selected" us for random gate checks and she asked for our cooperation. She could barely get the words out as she chuckled through her announcement.

Of note, I have not yet been "randomly" selected as yet.

Last edited by honeytoes; Mar 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Did not see anything in the C terminal at BWI this morning. Granted, I was only in the concourse from 0500-0545 while waiting to board BWI-CVG.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by doober
^^

?? are you kidding? if they are as good at cleaning bathrooms as they are at the rest of their duties, we'll all be waiting to get onboard before we go.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ereuter
At PWM on Friday, TSOs were pulling anyone carrying a visible bottle of water (all of which had obviously been purchased on the secure side, and checking each bottle with a cotton swab.

This particularly annoying because my Zone 4 fiancée was boarding in Zone 1 with me, and she got pulled aside after my BP had been scanned so they could check her unopened bottle of Poland Spring water that she'd owned for 5 minutes for bomb residue. I had to stand in the way like an idiot and wait for this while Zone 2 pushed past me.
I was wondering about this. What would they find to confiscate? And if they did, wouldn't you expect them to make a big deal about it? After all, if they find contraband on you post-WMD, presumably either a) they dropped the ball or b) you might be the 'big catch', someone's smuggled something into the sterile area and passed it off to you.

Wish one of our resident TSO's would drop in and tell us what's up with this nonsense.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Did not see anything in the C terminal at BWI this morning. Granted, I was only in the concourse from 0500-0545 while waiting to board BWI-CVG.
Don't you know? Terrorists like to sleep in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.