Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I was under the impression that thread OPs also have had some limited ability to update the thread titles, when the thread title is changed within a specified time period.

Originally Posted by pvn
please try that the next time this happens and report back with your results
I've said this sort of thing when some of my DL flights have been subjected to this TSA dog and pony show at the gate at US airports. The TSA response usually was something akin to "just following orders" or "just do this and be on your way".

If it's a CBP-conducted fishing expedition at the departure gate/boarding area for the flights, then bringing up the TSA wouldn't/shouldn't happen.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen CBP do their own searches in the jetway when an international flight is boarding to check for large amounts of unreported cash being taken out of the country. To me, it looks obvious that they're profiling passengers to decide whom to search. I've also seen them find carry on bags full of money.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought only mods could edit thread titles on FT.

You can edit optional titles that appear at the top of your own posts.
Oops - you may be right about that (that`s why I shouldn`t write anything before my 2nd coffee )
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
====WARNING===== TSA RANT AHEAD

ATL gate A4 tonight, probably 8 of ATL's not so finest mall cops arranged in a mass at the boarding area. All ID's were checked, and some random pat downs. Please don't tell me we are going to have to endure this fiasco from times past...... Announcements were made and they have what equivalates to a wet floor sign that they bring with them announcing their intentions. Did a check point close early so they needed something to??? Love how the tax dollars are wasted away....

End of rant

(Can someone edit the title, it was just supposed to say "They're" stupid auto-correct
Exactly. Nothing to do...let's do some random touchy/feelly.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The Gate Game Changes Again

I am sure that evryone remembers the boarding game that was played back in the gate check heyday. They would call for FC boarding, and nobody would move. The sweet spot was to be the fifth or sixth to board. By then, the two gate check goons had already picked their targets!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Maybe they take walks during their breaks for exercise?
The economy parking is a remote lot with a 10-15 minute tram ride from the terminal each way, so that is unlikely.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
====WARNING===== TSA RANT AHEAD

ATL gate A4 tonight, probably 8 of ATL's not so finest mall cops arranged in a mass at the boarding area. All ID's were checked, and some random pat downs. Please don't tell me we are going to have to endure this fiasco from times past...... Announcements were made and they have what equivalates to a wet floor sign that they bring with them announcing their intentions. Did a check point close early so they needed something to??? Love how the tax dollars are wasted away....

End of rant

(Can someone edit the title, it was just supposed to say "They're" stupid auto-correct
I would panic and cause a terminal dump. If they're having to do that, the gate screening wasn't done right, and people could be boarding the plane with just any kind of ID: expired passports! Professional licenses! Employee ID cards!" They're not checking everybody in the terminal, and if ONE passenger got into the terminal with the wrong kind of ID, the ONLY way to keep them from BOARDING A PLANE WITH THE WRONG KIND OF ID is to send EVERYONE out of the terminal and screen EVERYONE before allowing them back in.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Many international flights bound for the US are subject to extra security screening at the gate. How it is done varies but the common things I noticed are carry on bags searched and liquids over 3oz confiscated even if purchased after the main security.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ie at JFK before boarding a flight to TLV everyone must go through a 2nd screening at the gate. This is due to Israeli aviation law.
That's for all carriers and not just El Al? I recently walked by the JFK-TLV gate at boarding time and saw zero security presence. Maybe they were way down the jet bridge by the aircraft door?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Brings back memories of the days when TSA (or whoever) would set up their portable table at the gate, GA would call for FC boarding, and no one would come forward... knowing that the first few were certain to get tagged.
Those were the days I would be in line just watching them count off people and know they were going to get me. Loved having my bag opened and everything moved around in front of everyone. That was just lovely.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MissJ
Loved having my bag opened and everything moved around in front of everyone. That was just lovely.
Not long after 9/11 I was boarding a flight and was pulled aside for random screening. This was when they used to just set up a table right next to the boarding lines. The guy pulled everything out of my bag and held it up to inspect it. When he got to my clothes I said: "Do you mind not holding my underwear up in front of everyone?" To which he replied "Hey, at least it's clean!"
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Not long after 9/11 I was boarding a flight and was pulled aside for random screening. This was when they used to just set up a table right next to the boarding lines. The guy pulled everything out of my bag and held it up to inspect it. When he got to my clothes I said: "Do you mind not holding my underwear up in front of everyone?" To which he replied "Hey, at least it's clean!"
I remember getting searched hard by some screeners in the Caymans about 10 yrs ago. Their repacking job not very good.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, anyone who was gonna hijack the plane, just walked away when they heard the announcements.

Now THAT'S security!
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Logic. You can not use logic. Sorry.
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Or they just see that those in front of them were getting random screening so they don't board. Yet another TSA FAIL.
It is so sad it is funny. Spot the TSA brain cell

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Sep 6, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
So, anyone who was gonna hijack the plane, just walked away when they heard the announcements.

Now THAT'S security!
If a would be hijacker didn't board the plane, I'd call that a success.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
please try that the next time this happens and report back with your results
What could they possibly do to me for asking a question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.