Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are TSA agents equal to Law Enforcement Officers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are TSA agents equal to Law Enforcement Officers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, we've had to remove a number of posts where members were either attacking each other or being exceptionally rude or inconsiderate of other members.

If you want to continue to post on FlyerTalk and in the Travel Safety/Security forum, we ask that you are civil to your fellow members and that you limit your posts to the subject at hand. Posts should be about the topic and not about what you think of your fellow members.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Co-Moderator
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
Don't know who you saw carrying a night stick, Mace and handcuffs, but it wasn't TSA...

Passengers will continue to make those untruthful statements... TSA did this, did that, said this, said that...
Umm, don't mean to be telling you your business but, yes, I have seen TSA folks with all of the items I listed in my original post on their belt. May have been pepper spray instead of mace but it was, indeed, a small cannister of some type of spray in a black leather belt attachment; unless these guys carry their breath fresheners or Hi Karate around with them on their belts then it was some spray agent intended for defense or apprehension purposes. And, yes (again) I have seen TSA agents with handcuffs and nightsticks/billy clubs on their belts too. I really hate to make an obvious statement but it was I (not you) who saw this and reported it; and unless you were there and witnessed the incident I described - and, thus can give a first hand eyewitness account to counter my observations, then please keep your personal opinions as to who saw what to yourself. You obviously didn't read the first comments in my post where I commended the TSA folks for being much more reasonable and pleasant in recent years and I specifically dated my unsettling TSA experience to several years ago when the program was just getting started - at a time where I suspect there were quite a few LEO wannabes hired on.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by daytonaredeye
Umm, don't mean to be telling you your business but, yes, I have seen TSA folks with all of the items I listed in my original post on their belt. May have been pepper spray instead of mace but it was, indeed, a small cannister of some type of spray in a black leather belt attachment; unless these guys carry their breath fresheners or Hi Karate around with them on their belts then it was some spray agent intended for defense or apprehension purposes. And, yes (again) I have seen TSA agents with handcuffs and nightsticks/billy clubs on their belts too. I really hate to make an obvious statement but it was I (not you) who saw this and reported it; and unless you were there and witnessed the incident I described - and, thus can give a first hand eyewitness account to counter my observations, then please keep your personal opinions as to who saw what to yourself. You obviously didn't read the first comments in my post where I commended the TSA folks for being much more reasonable and pleasant in recent years and I specifically dated my unsettling TSA experience to several years ago when the program was just getting started - at a time where I suspect there were quite a few LEO wannabes hired on.
TSOs carrying unauthorized police-style gear is very, very, very against the rules. Just carrying pepper spray/mace or nightsticks/billy clubs into a checkpoint is potentially a firing offense. If you, in fact, saw this sort of stuff, those employees, and the supervisors/managment who allowed it, are probably long since fired. If you see this again, it should be reported, immediately.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Once, I saw a screener carrying a ninja sword.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Once, I saw a screener carrying a ninja sword.
I'm jealous. I've wanted one of those for years.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spotnik
TSOs carrying unauthorized police-style gear is very, very, very against the rules. Just carrying pepper spray/mace or nightsticks/billy clubs into a checkpoint is potentially a firing offense. If you, in fact, saw this sort of stuff, those employees, and the supervisors/managment who allowed it, are probably long since fired. If you see this again, it should be reported, immediately.
Fired like Denver TSO Cra*****?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know Joe Isuzu posted on this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.