FAM's now truly undercover, or gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
FAM's now truly undercover, or gone?

On 12/14/07 I posted this:
And there we come to our other disagreement. I contend that it is virtually impossible for the FAM's to be anonymous to a competent observer. There are too few locations (6 to 14 aisle seats in First Class - unless the profile has changed, and FAMS will now accept windows - I haven't seen one there yet), too many discrepancies (over 20, under 70, under 300 pounds, not drinking alcohol, not wearing shorts or a jogging suit), not carrying large amounts of company identifiable data (maybe the FAM's should carry laptops and work on spreadsheets with recent marketing reports from a well-known company). Also, they need to lose "the look" (i.e. - no vigilant scanning of passengers boarding, or approaching the restroom), no "restroom checks" right after usage by certain passengers, no PDA usage (I think FAM's are the only people still using a PDA with a stylus (slight joke)), and NO IDENTIFICATION TO THE CREW who always treat them differently.
Based on my last 3 flights (all full-size AA planes) into Washington D.C. (historically a FAM rich flight), they have either changed their tactics in *every* way I suggested, or they have *significantly* reduced FAM's. There were NONE in first class aisles on my 3 flights, unless: a) they are allowed to drink alcohol on duty; and/or b) they have females over the age of 65; and/or c) they have FAM's who are POS.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A fact that TSA doesn't want you to know is that you have a better chance of being on a flight with a FFDO sitting in the cockpit than a FAM sitting in First class.

We had a FAM last month on a flight out of DCA.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:53 pm

Hey, I use a PDA with a stylus :P And I'm definitely NOT a FAM!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Maybe they all quit.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Forget what I said. Just flew the Delta Shuttle from DCA to LGA. Just before the flight the agent boarded 4 individuals who looked like they had been selected by Central Casting to impersonate FAMs. Being Shuttle there was no first class, but they took the opposing aisles on the 3rd and 4th row of the plane. Several people in line commented on the fact that there were 4. Best guess is that 2 were leftover from the flight the hour before that was cancelled.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:07 pm

I fly F in and out of DCA all the time and consider myself pretty good at spotting FAMs.

I agree with OP -- they are either blending in MUCH better, or are fewer in numbers.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AArlington
I fly F in and out of DCA all the time and consider myself pretty good at spotting FAMs.

I agree with OP -- they are either blending in MUCH better, or are fewer in numbers.
+1

Haven't seen an air marshal in F on my flights in awhile. Maybe they're flying coach?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:15 pm

I keep having visions of Eric Idle doing a Monty Python skit of "Spot the FAM."
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:30 pm

Law Dawg has said that procedures have changed recently for FAM's, so perhaps they are now not as noticeable. I hope we are getting something for the FAM's $700 million annual budget.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
Based on my last 3 flights (all full-size AA planes) into Washington D.C. (historically a FAM rich flight), they have either changed their tactics in *every* way I suggested, or they have *significantly* reduced FAM's. There were NONE in first class aisles on my 3 flights, unless: a) they are allowed to drink alcohol on duty; and/or b) they have females over the age of 65; and/or c) they have FAM's who are POS.
That's hardly a fair representation. The last couple of times I went to the supermarket, I noticed there were fewer bunches of bananas in the produce section. That doesn't mean the global supply of bananas is low or extinct.

And I REALLY doubt they read this board and operated off your suggestion.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
there have been changes made in several areas such as pre-boarding and attire (and most from input from fam's themselves) and from what i've been told, it's been met with a positive reaction from most of the rank & file (tho some airlines still want fam's to "pre-board" which kind of defeats the purpose of the changes made. )
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Law Dawg has said that procedures have changed recently for FAM's, so perhaps they are now not as noticeable. I hope we are getting something for the FAM's $700 million annual budget.
Geez, for $700million the US could give LEOs (local cops, FBI agents, Border Patrol, ASPCA officers, etc.) $500 vouchers for domestic vacations on the condition that they fly with their service weapon, in uniform, etc. To prevent Hawaii from being inundated with LEOs, only allow travel on flights with at most one other officer using a voucher.

That would pay for 2.8 million trips (two trips per voucher, i.e. a round trip, ignoring connecting flights), potentially covering 25% or so of all domestic flights (see http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ ) That's a lot more than the FAM program covers.

Of course this would be a bureaucratic mess (i.e. no change). Problems of officers protecting family members, etc. could be an issue.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ralfp
Geez, for $700million the US could give LEOs (local cops, FBI agents, Border Patrol, ASPCA officers, etc.) $500 vouchers for domestic vacations on the condition that they fly with their service weapon, in uniform, etc. To prevent Hawaii from being inundated with LEOs, only allow travel on flights with at most one other officer using a voucher.

That would pay for 2.8 million trips (two trips per voucher, i.e. a round trip, ignoring connecting flights), potentially covering 25% or so of all domestic flights (see http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ ) That's a lot more than the FAM program covers.
This has been a popular topic in the law enforcement community since 9/11, and to a lesser degree, before.

All cops that fly armed on official business--extraditions, mainly-- have to complete a brief (about two hours, I think--I haven't taken it) course called "Flying While Armed." I am absolutely certain that thousands of cops would attend, on their own time and expense, a course of up to five days on whatever tactics are crucial to engaging an armed threat while in flight and proving that they were sufficiently skilled with their sidearms to do so effectively (and a bunch of cops wouldn't qualify--cops tend to regard their marksmanship skills the way the typical American mororist regards his driving skills) in exchange for credentials that would allow them to carry their concealed weapons on board commercial flights. No special upgrades, no free travel, no companion coupons.

With all due respect to the FAM community, this would provide considerably greater coverage at very low cost.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by copwriter
This has been a popular topic in the law enforcement community since 9/11, and to a lesser degree, before.

All cops that fly armed on official business--extraditions, mainly-- have to complete a brief (about two hours, I think--I haven't taken it) course called "Flying While Armed." I am absolutely certain that thousands of cops would attend, on their own time and expense, a course of up to five days on whatever tactics are crucial to engaging an armed threat while in flight and proving that they were sufficiently skilled with their sidearms to do so effectively (and a bunch of cops wouldn't qualify--cops tend to regard their marksmanship skills the way the typical American mororist regards his driving skills) in exchange for credentials that would allow them to carry their concealed weapons on board commercial flights. No special upgrades, no free travel, no companion coupons.

With all due respect to the FAM community, this would provide considerably greater coverage at very low cost.
All fed LEOs can fly armed whenever they want. The problem with state LEOs isn't the G, it's the airlines. The airlines dictate that they have to be on official duty, not the government as I understand it.

Of course there's the problem of a LEO with a gun in one state going into another where he's not a LEO, just a civilian. Is that in violation of law? I believe this is state dependent, is it not?

And yeah, from what I've heard, FAM policies have indeed changed and for the better. Their numbers have actually gone up recently, from my sources as well, although in only certain cities.

"Spot the FAM" isn't impossible yet, but it's gotten a wee bit harder.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:04 am

No worries: at least for the last two weeks they're still entering via the exits. However, I did see one very attractive lady looking very business-like. If she hadn't been putting away her credentials, she would have fooled me. Vahroom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.