Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:06 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:40 am
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cme2c
Cohen was arrested without saying a word.
Irrelevant. Cohen was arrested for the expression written on his jacket. The OP (if his report of what happened is accurate) was detained for what was written on his baggie. Both are political speech. Both are chilled by state action that includes either the reality or possibility of arrest. Both result in a First Amendment violation.

He was not being "combative"
Neither was the OP, according to his report of what happened. Your position, apparently, is based on what you've made up. If you want to posit a hypothetical with facts different from what are being discussed, feel free. However, I'm interested in discussing First Amendment law, not whether you believe the OP is a liar.

The decision itself even points that out. This case is significantly different in many ways. Not the least of which he wasn't arrested and charged with anything.
It doesn't matter whether he was arrested and charged. In a First Amendment context, state action is examined to determine whether it has a "chilling effect" on speech. That is a legal term of art and one that, obviously, wasn't known to Bart or to you.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For the sake of playing along despite all these games, I'm accepting your own earlier classification of what comes under additional scrutiny.

Here's a reminder of your earlier words to which I'm still referring:

Now, I look forward to your "yes" or "no" anwer to the question I asked earlier and I ask again:

Were your words "Additional scrutiny in the form of 'what does that mean?', yes" an answer to my question or not?

Either you were answering my question or you were answering a question I didn't ask. Which is it now?
You are the one playing word games. No my words "Additional scrutiny in the form of 'what does the mean?',yes" was not the answer to your question, you conveniently cut off the second part of my answer. My answer to your question was: "Additional scrutiny in the form of "what does that mean?", yes. Detention and further questioning, no that was because he was "combative"." Again, if only allowed a yes or no answer. I would decline to answer.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bart
You and I don't know what was mentioned to the LEO. The news article seems to focus on whether or not MKEbound was "combative." This suggests that the LEO was called to deal with either an irrate passenger or a passenger who was being uncooperative. I'm sure once the LEO arrived at the scene and saw what the fuss was really about, he then did the minimum.
The LEO did not do the minimum possible. The minimum does not include a demand for ID and an NCIC check.

Given the momentum this incident is apparently gathering, I would not be surprised if an instruction comes down the pike as a result. If you recall in one of my posts, I said that there are sections of the SOP that go into excruciating detail on certain procedures. And I presented the theory that somewhere in all of TSA, some screener was the center of some incident that prompted all of this. (This then had me wondering why the specific step-by-step instruction on screening monkeys. Especially the part about not removing their diapers. Never occurred to me to remove a monkey's diaper. The fact that this is mentioned in the SOP tells me that somewhere, someone thought it would be a good idea.) I'm anticipating more step-by-step instruction on either processing clear plastic resealable bags or responding to little statements written on these plastic baggies.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: UA *G
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't have the patience to read a 69 page thread, but I have a great amount of respect for you --- and have read about you on AOL.com. I absolutely agree with your actions.
We can't let these thugs stop us from expressing our opinions.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:13 am

Stop Whining

Stop your whining and give us all a break. The TSA is not perfect, but their job is to make air travel a bit safer. Your dumb little prank was obviously intended to draws attention to yourself and to provoke a response. You succeeded and now youre complaining about something you caused.
I am a frequent traveler and try to be as polite as possible to not only the TSA workers, but airline employees as well. Its because of guys like you, and the others on this thread who suggest you contact the ACLU, that air travel is not as safe as it needs to be. You guys add to the difficulty of culling out potential terrorists because you draw attention to yourselves and away from potential threats by complaining (read ACLU here) when authorities use profiling techniques (criminal profiling NOT racial profiling) in an attempt to make the rest of us safer.
I dont want to fly around with people who are just looking for something to complain about and in the process make me less safe.
Next time why dont you take the bus?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:15 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:46 am
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: TSA Platinum
Originally Posted by tds17
Stop your whining and give us all a break. The TSA is not perfect, but their job is to make air travel a bit safer. Your dumb little prank was obviously intended to draws attention to yourself and to provoke a response. You succeeded and now youre complaining about something you caused.
I am a frequent traveler and try to be as polite as possible to not only the TSA workers, but airline employees as well. Its because of guys like you, and the others on this thread who suggest you contact the ACLU, that air travel is not as safe as it needs to be. You guys add to the difficulty of culling out potential terrorists because you draw attention to yourselves and away from potential threats by complaining (read ACLU here) when authorities use profiling techniques (criminal profiling NOT racial profiling) in an attempt to make the rest of us safer.
I dont want to fly around with people who are just looking for something to complain about and in the process make me less safe.
Sounds like a troll.

There is a word for people like you - "cowards".

You'd rather not be inconvienced than try to stand up for your or someone else's rights.

That's right, go ahead, mr. Coward. You're feeling safe, when you've been stripped of all your basic rights?

You don't deserve to be protected, by the deaths and personal sacrifices of all the millions of brave Americans who have fought to preserve our way of life, and our basic beliefs and rights.

I don't agree with your post, but I fully endorse your right to make your point.

God bless America, even its cowards who have no will to protect the weak, vulnerable, and the repressed.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Irrelevant. Cohen was arrested for the expression written on his jacket. The OP (if his report of what happened is accurate) was detained for what was written on his baggie. Both are political speech. Both are chilled by state action that includes either the reality or possibility of arrest. Both result in a First Amendment violation.

Neither was the OP, according to his report of what happened. Your position, apparently, is based on what you've made up. If you want to posit a hypothetical with facts different from what are being discussed, feel free. However, I'm interested in discussing First Amendment law, not whether you believe the OP is a liar.

It doesn't matter whether he was arrested and charged. In a First Amendment context, state action is examined to determine whether it has a "chilling effect" on speech. That is a legal term of art and one that, obviously, wasn't known to Bart or to you.
But according to the TSA spokesman he was "a little combative". You even say it yourself "if his report of what happened is accurate". I am saying it don't think it is. That is all. I am just saying that I don't think you can make a determination that a right's violation exists without all the information.

So from a First Amendment law point of view, would you say that IF the OP was combative after being asked about the baggie with "what does that mean" or something similar in a non-threatening fashion that they would be wrong to further detain him?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cme2c
You are the one playing word games. No my words "Additional scrutiny in the form of 'what does the mean?',yes" was not the answer to your question, you conveniently cut off the second part of my answer.
Thanks for the admission that your words were "not the answer to [my] question". Here's my earlier statement, dealing with just this matter, one which I heretofore deem applicable:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If it was an answer to my question (i.e., not a "response" to a question that I never asked there), your reasoning defies any logic I can accept, but at least it's not dishonest word games. If it was an answer to a question I didn't ask there, then I deem that to be playing word games.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:27 am
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tds17
The TSA does a lot of things that do little for safety, while doing somethings that take away resources from things that could make air travel safer. Rather than blaming the OP for writing their constitutionally-protected opinion down on a bag, why not take issue with the DHS/TSA? They are the ones who are charged with making air travel safer and have the big bucks.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by fly no more
Sounds like a troll.

There is a word for people like you - "cowards".

You'd rather not be inconvienced than try to stand up for your or someone else's rights.

That's right, go ahead, mr. Coward. You're feeling safe, when you've been stripped of all your basic rights?

You don't deserve to be protected, by the deaths and personal sacrifices of all the millions of brave Americans who have fought to preserve our way of life, and our basic beliefs and rights.

I don't agree with your post, but I fully endorse your right to make your point.

God bless America, even its cowards who have no will to protect the weak, vulnerable, and the repressed.
Wow! You're a bit irritable, huh? No need for name-calling. What does a little writing on a baggie have to do with 1st Amendment rights in a situation like this? I firmly believe in 1st Amendment rights, when it is a ligitimate issue. But, provoking a response by writing something stupid does not qualify. Did you ever stop and consider that maybe the TSA agent was using his/her 1st Amendment rights to further question MKEbound to see if possibly he did pose some sort of threat?

I FULLY support the brave Americans who fought or are fighting for my freedom, both now and in past conflicts, but I don't think they were giving their valuable lives so that some guy could taunt TSA agents with a magic marker and a baggie.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:39 am
Suspended

You're cute when you get picky.
I'd rather not have someone picked on for having written down their constitutionally-protected political opinion.

Don't need any more government minders during my travels.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:46 am
Suspended

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.