Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fester
I'm betting the Supv. Screener told the LEO that the OP was combative, which is why the LEO decided to run the check in the first place. I'm giving the LEO the benefit of the doubt that had he heard the entire exchange it would have been handled differently.
That is probably true, and only further highlights the despicable nature of the actions of the TSA officials involved: they felt so threatened by words on a bag that they had to lie to a LEO to try to "punish" the OP.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm...If you believe that is a violation, what about U.S. Customs receiving advance passenger manifests for foreign flights and running NCIC checks on those individuals prior to their arrival in the U.S?
I don't see any constitutional violation there.

I view the LEOs action at MKE as I would a "flag down" complaint on the street. The TSA Supv. could have said that the OP threatened him or whatever, we don't know.
All that we know is what the OP reported here (and what was partially confirmed by the sheriff, i.e. he was not disruptive). Based on what is reported here, the OP's First Amendment rights were violated. See Cohen v. Superior Court.

It was the officer's duty to investigate the complaint.
Which officer? The police? I agree. The violation was committed by the TSO and his supervisor.

I see an NCIC check at that point a non-issue. Once the officer determined, by his own interview, that the whole situation was ridiculous, he referred the matter back to TSA.
As I said, I don't see a violation by the police.

I think one issue is that local LEOs have no real authority during the screening process and are only there to arrest/investigate for state code violations that are pointed out to them by screeners. I believe many screeners refer things to local LEOs that they shouldn't, because they are clueless.
And that's the whole point. What the MKE supervisor was clueless about was the First Amendment. He violated the OP's First Amendment rights by causing him to be detained, calling the LEO, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel

On that we disagree -- there is no question in my mind that this was an abridgement of MKE's First Amendment rights.
No question? Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me, seeing how you have only heard one side of the story. Hopefully you don't make judge someday.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cme2c
No question? Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me, seeing how you have only heard one side of the story. Hopefully you don't make judge someday.
I don't see how you'd need to hear "both sides" of the story to make the evaluation that the OP's rights were infringed, given that neither the TSA nor the police involved have denied in their public statements that the TSA caused an incident by reacting to the OP's message--they have merely quibbled whether he was "detained" or not.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I totally agree that the TSA harrassed the OP due to a political statement, however, I believe the LEO did his job like he would in any situation. Soemtimes the information LEOs receive is good and sometimes it isn't. I think it's sad that the LEO got sucked into this and is labelled a "rights violator" just like the screener with a chip on his shoulder. YMMV.
There's a growing number of knee-jerk responses by the DHS/TSA, flight crews and even fellow passengers that, by imagining threats where there are none (all while ignoring other ones), are wasting resources. The NCIC check in MKE is just another example of that waste. That the NCIC check was prompted by TSA finger-pointing for reasons related to a constitutionally-protected political opinion on a plastic bag does not speak well of the judgment of the TSA nor of LEOs. This is certainly a pre-cursor of the impact of DHS/TSA's S.P.O.T. program, which will be little more than an excuse to run more NCIC checks on the American public.

Unless this is stopped, here's the future state:

Don't like what I write? Don't like what I say? Don't like the way I look? SPOT's your cover to harass me.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have added a simple poll to this thread.

Please vote.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Red face

Originally Posted by MovieMan
To be fair, I think perhaps you mean Nazis and Chavez supporters (Chavistas?). Venezuelans is too general a term, IMO, especially if you are comparing them to Nazis.
You are correct, but I could not think of the name "Chavez" in my "senior moment" I was having
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:15 pm

I happened to have dinner tonight with a friend who is a "highly placed but anonymous" security employee at MKE. He was talking about MKEbound's "incident" and he had two comments.
#1 - "MKEbound was within his constitutional rights to have the comment written on his baggie."
#2 - "Kip Hawley IS an idiot."
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Please vote.
Nice feature. Thank you. I have voted.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:17 pm

The TSA has gone too far, way too far.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Please vote.
Good idea. I have voted. ^
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Nice feature. Thank you. I have voted.
Thank you.

It is only my pleasure to be helpful.

I have observed this thread from the very beginning, as well as assisted in the moderation of it, but purposely declined to comment at this time. The moderators of the Travel Safety/Security forum have been working very hard lately, and they deserve any assistance I can offer.

Each FlyerTalk member can only vote once in the poll, and every vote is anonymous.

WARNING: For those of you who think that you can register multiple FlyerTalk “handles” and vote more than once in the poll as to attempt to skew the results: WE WILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOUR VOTE WILL BE REMOVED, AND YOUR FLYERTALK POSTING PRIVILEGES WILL BE INSTANTLY AND PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED!

This is your only warning.

Also, as a reminder, anyone who attempts to use this thread as well as FlyerTalk in general for commercial purposes will also be penalized.

To everyone else, please continue to vote and contribute in a civil discourse pertaining to this topic.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 29, 2006 at 9:42 pm
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
What you say is largely true. It would indeed be "cheaper" to knuckle under, tell the TSA screener, "Sorry, I didn't realize that was prohibited," and let them confiscate the bag to be on one's way..
Today I took my quart-size bag through IAH-B and DFW-E. On it I have written, "Kip Hawley should be fired. Contents may contain SSI ." At IAH there was no loader, nor anyone at the end of the x-ray, so no one except the x-ray operator saw the bag and that, of course, was while it was in the tunnel, so she couldn't have read it. At DFW, there was a loader and he first commented about how I properly prepared the bag. At first (like a previous poster mentioned), I was proud, but then I thought that why should I be proud of following idiotic rules. Then, looking further at the bag resting on the belt, he chuckled. I assume that it was in relation to my comments. So my First Amendment rights are still safe today in Texas.

BTW, once again, neither x-ray operator found my Swiss Army "pocketknife".

Originally Posted by exerda
However, it would be wrong to do so on several levels. Yeah, it would have saved the OP 25 minutes of his life.
Yes, and it would have saved me hours of reading this thread
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:47 pm

Thumbs down Idiots

Originally Posted by LessO2
You got some real stones to screw around with ICE.
Y'all are idiots. Millions of people go through the airports every day, and right now the TSA is trying to figure out how to keep them safe, and you're pulling stunts just for kicks. What's the point? Do you think they enjoy being anal? Do you want to take more time, have it cost more, and take more attention away from the guys we're trying to keep out.

I remember joking under my breath about bombs at an airport when I was little and having my dad rip me a new one. Since then I've kind of figured it out.

Here's a funny one. Next time you're passing a policeman going the other way, pretend you're going to swerve into him. See if he flinches. Hey, free country, right?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dontspamdan
Y'all are idiots. Millions of people go through the airports every day, and right now the TSA is trying to figure out how to keep them safe, and you're pulling stunts just for kicks. What's the point? Do you think they enjoy being anal? Do you want to take more time, have it cost more, and take more attention away from the guys we're trying to keep out.

I remember joking under my breath about bombs at an airport when I was little and having my dad rip me a new one. Since then I've kind of figured it out.

Here's a funny one. Next time you're passing a policeman going the other way, pretend you're going to swerve into him. See if he flinches. Hey, free country, right?
This is one post containing the word idiot that I'm letting stand.

For one, he called all of us idiots so none of us can take exception.

Plus it is well-written and perhaps deserving of a comment IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.