Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by tom911
Don't you find it interesting that not one person in this thread has stated they're going to mark their clear plastic bag the same way and see what happens? Are you planning on marking your bags the same as the OP to see what happens (I'm not)?

I asked if anyone was going to mark their zip-loc bag in the same manner as the OP a hundred or so posts ago. No one seems interested in causing a scene, but I'm particularly p.o.'d this afternoon, so I borrowed a Sharpie pen and labeled my ziploc bag with the words "Israel + America = The Axis of Murder" (in English and Arabic). I'm on my way to ORD right now so I'll let you know what happens when I get to sunny Guantanamo.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Don't you find it interesting that not one person in this thread has stated they're going to mark their clear plastic bag the same way and see what happens? Are you planning on marking your bags the same as the OP to see what happens (I'm not)?
I absolutely intend to write it on my bag the next time I go through security. Not to "see what happens," but because I believe Kip Hawley is an idiot, and I believe this plastic bag thing is just as stupid as the original liquid ban (but a little more insulting). Since I will be at SFO, I guess I won't be insulting anyone's boss. It was supposed to be tomorrow, but it looks like it will be a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I asked if anyone was going to mark their zip-loc bag in the same manner as the OP a hundred or so posts ago. No one seems interested in causing a scene, but I'm particularly p.o.'d this afternoon, so I borrowed a Sharpie pen and labeled my ziploc bag with the words "Israel + America = The Axis of Murder" (in English and Arabic). I'm on my way to ORD right now so I'll let you know what happens when I get to sunny Guantanamo.
Even opinions with which I take issue (i.e., Sudan should be part of that "Axis"), you have a right to write. The exercise of your constitutionally-protected right to make political speech shouldn't land you in Gitmo (but I cannot guarantee that for people have ended up in Gitmo for less). That said, I'd not be surprised to see some TSAer try to behave like the thought police.

As it seems that the EU is going to adopt the plastic bag-related rules geographic variations of this exercise should be interesting.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 28, 2006 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
(i.e., Sudan should be part of that "Axis") but you have a right to write it.
I asked Sudan if they wanted in but they said they were in the middle of launching a joint bid with Somalia for Axis of Evil membership. OK, now I'm really off to the airport.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by crhptic
Is this truly a part of your training? No wonder. I guess just like the First Amendment, the presumption of innocence doesn't apply at checkpoints either.

Imagine how the police would be if they were trained to suspect that everyone is a criminal. Explains a lot of the TSA foolishness, doesn't it?
No my training is how to remove cataracts.

To my knowledge the presumption of innoncence only applies once someone has been charged with crime, which clearly this person wasn't. Every person who walks through that security checkpoint should be treated as a possible terrorist.. If you don't like that take the Greyhound or buy your own plane.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by cme2c

To my knowledge the presumption of innoncence only applies once someone has been charged with crime, which clearly this person wasn't. Every person who walks through that security checkpoint should be treated as a possible terrorist.. If you don't like that take the Greyhound or buy your own plane.
So tell me this, what terrorist is going to be stupid enough to draw attention to himself by writing Kip Hawley's an idiot on his baggie?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:57 pm

Your original words were that you are trained to "suspect everyone is a terrorist". That is very different from treating people as a possible terrorist. Which is it?

OT: I think it's hilarious how you even managed to fit a variant of DY...T into a freakin' Flyertalk post!!
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:58 pm

Why does this remind me of the scene in "Alice's Restaurant" where Arlo Guthrie urged everyone to sing "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant" as they go through draft processing? One person is an idiot, two is a conspiracy, 50 is a movement, or something like that.

Not that I disagree in the slightest. The OP has every right to what he did, and the TSO was as much an idiot for taking the bait as Kip Hawley is

RE: the "yelling 'fire' in a theatre" - it's an obvious example, so everyone uses it. However, just because something doesn't incite a riot or endanger folk, doesn't mean it's acceptable. Here's an example:

Our local Renaissance Festival is not very large (maybe 200 vendors). However, we are a small city and my husband is among those who feel responsible for the general feel of the festival, as he is one of the performers. He is also trained in security, having worked it for many years. One day at the festival, a young man showed up with a highly offensive t-shirt, and was asked by my husband (and several friends) to either turn it inside out, change it, or please leave. It was not done with intimidation, but was done firmly. The guy did, after some posturing. The t-shirt said "Jesus is a C###" (think of the most offensive word that would fit there). Now, I'm not Christian, and many that attend Ren Faires aren't either. However, this is, I would venture to say, offensive to more than just Christians. Asking him to remove it from view (children were around everywhere, of course) was, IMHO, a responsible act.

How does this work with freedom of speech? Opinions? OT I know, but I'm curious.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
So tell me this, what terrorist is going to be stupid enough to draw attention to himself by writing Kip Hawley's an idiot on his baggie?
It' hard to imagine even Richard Reid being that stupid. And that's saying a lot.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jakebeth

What terrorist is dumb enough to write "bomb on board"? , so by that logic if someone finds a note like that on the plane they should ignore it? There are plenty of stupid terrorists. Although, you're right, I'm not so concerned about them.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Why does this remind me of the scene in "Alice's Restaurant" where Arlo Guthrie urged everyone to sing "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant" as they go through draft processing? One person is an idiot, two is a conspiracy, 50 is a movement, or something like that.

Not that I disagree in the slightest. The OP has every right to what he did, and the TSO was as much an idiot for taking the bait as Kip Hawley is

RE: the "yelling 'fire' in a theatre" - it's an obvious example, so everyone uses it. However, just because something doesn't incite a riot or endanger folk, doesn't mean it's acceptable. Here's an example:

Our local Renaissance Festival is not very large (maybe 200 vendors). However, we are a small city and my husband is among those who feel responsible for the general feel of the festival, as he is one of the performers. He is also trained in security, having worked it for many years. One day at the festival, a young man showed up with a highly offensive t-shirt, and was asked by my husband (and several friends) to either turn it inside out, change it, or please leave. It was not done with intimidation, but was done firmly. The guy did, after some posturing. The t-shirt said "Jesus is a C###" (think of the most offensive word that would fit there). Now, I'm not Christian, and many that attend Ren Faires aren't either. However, this is, I would venture to say, offensive to more than just Christians. Asking him to remove it from view (children were around everywhere, of course) was, IMHO, a responsible act.

How does this work with freedom of speech? Opinions? OT I know, but I'm curious.
Was your husband a government employee operating in an official government capacity? If not, the Renaissance Festival you note is not applicable to this situation. Why would it not be applicable to this situation? The First Amendment restricts what the government and government employees can do (or attempt to do); it's not a restriction on private parties exercising their property rights and legal rights under a contract. That is, entry to a ticket-paying event venue can be made conditional (i.e., XYZ required, ABC prohibited, etc.) presuming it's not the government/government employee who are establishing a litmus test that denies constitutionally-protected expression to some while allowing it other on anything but a legally permitted basis.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Green Dragon

Aren't Ren Faires held on private property?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by crhptic
Your original words were that you are trained to "suspect everyone is a terrorist". That is very different from treating people as a possible terrorist. Which is it?

OT: I think it's hilarious how you even managed to fit a variant of DY...T into a freakin' Flyertalk post!!

I don't see a lot of difference in those statements. Suspect already implies possible. If I had used "assume" everyone is a terrorist that would be different.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:18 pm
Suspended

What terrorist is dumb enough to write "bomb on board"? , so by that logic if someone finds a note like that on the plane they should ignore it? There are plenty of stupid terrorists. Although, you're right, I'm not so concerned about them.
"Bomb on board" is not necessarily constitutionally-protected speech. "Kip Hawley is an idiot" is constitutionally-protected speech. Let's not equate the two. It's pretty simple: "Bomb on board" and "Kip Hawley is an idiot" are not equivalents.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Bomb on board" is not necessarily constitutionally-protected speech. "Kip Hawley is an idiot" is constitutionally-protected speech. Let's not equate the two. It's pretty simple: "Bomb on board" and "Kip Hawley is an idiot" are not equivalents.
As usual you are taking comments out of their context and trying to insert them into what YOU think is the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.