Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What would you do different about travel security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do different about travel security?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:28 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:27 am
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Note to all: Please do not assume that sticking the military in the airports to work the security checkpoints is a good idea.

1) It will be horribly expensive to house all these folks at airport hotels while they are doing jobs that other people are already trained to do.

2) The military is stretched thin enough right now without having to assume duties at airports.

3) In the event of a catch, posse comitatus (sp) laws would prohibit them from acting in a law enforcement capacity.

4) With the anti-TSA stuff I see on this thread, how long would it be before people starting hating our Soldiers, as well.

5) What happens when a US Soldier at the TSA checkpoint misreads someone's intentions and shoots and kills an American at the airport? How about a visiting foreigner? Is the public ready to accept something like this?

Let's not reinvent the wheel here. With as much time as our Soldiers already spend away from home, a 4-6 month rotation at JFK airport is NOT something that would be looked forward to.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:46 am
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL
Originally Posted by kaukau
[snip]Virtually any amount of any liquid, gel, or paste may be smuggled on-board right now, today, through the X-ray machine and the WTMD, using "artful concealment" techniques. Correct, Bart? Once again, from Spiff: ALL pax & carry-on: EDT and WTMD. ALL cargo: EDT and X-ray. That's it.
So Bart, is that correct? Or can the xray machines spot the liquids to then go to EDT?

And why is Spiff arguing for a 5 hour wait at the line? Considering how upset he is about taking off his shoes, imagine standing in line for 5 hours.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:52 am
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL
Too bad we can't make you king for a day, but at the rate government and other large orgarnizations work, it shouldn't surprise us that it's taking some time to put the best policy into place. I would expect that what you propose will end up being what they do -- we're just seeing the wheels turn slowly, and in the meantime, they probably felt the liquids ban was the only option they could implement overnight.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
So, just ignore it, eh?
DHS has already said x-raying won't do jack to ID shoes. So there's no sense in the shoe carnival.

If we have puffers, shoes will be screened for explosives anyway.

So the threat isn't being ignored. It's just not over emphasized like it is now.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Superguy
DHS has already said x-raying won't do jack to ID shoes. So there's no sense in the shoe carnival.

If we have puffers, shoes will be screened for explosives anyway.

So the threat isn't being ignored. It's just not over emphasized like it is now.
Over-emphasized?

It's abject stupidity.

The Shoe Carnival might detect a really, really sloppily made shoe bomb if the drone on the x-ray is actually alert enough to notice the obviously-altered shoes. Red team tests and screener failure of said tests give me no confidence that such a discovery would occur.

However, the puffer/ETD will very likely detect even the most carefully designed shoe bombs.

Comrade Hawley mandates the Shoe Carnival. What a disgusting imbecile who has no clue whatsoever about airport security. He really is just making it up as he goes along and it's time we send this despicable cretin packing and severely punish him on the way out.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
This comes across as nothing more than whining. You didn't provide a reason for eliminating the TSA other than your say-so. Not trying to antagonize you; just challenging you to provide specific reasons why TSA should be eliminated.
One word: bureaucracy - it needs to be eliminated.

Too bad you don't see the contradiction. This is already being done at the five test airports. Please explain the difference between your fantasy private company and TSA. There is none. You're just expressing your desire to get rid of TSA and replace it with something else that is truly no different than TSA.
One Word: bureaucracy

The hands of the private companies are tied by the bureaucracy and poor leadership of the TSA.

And here you go again: you're saying that there's nothing wrong with the individual workers at TSA yet want to get rid of TSA. Please make up your mind.
There are some good front line employees with the TSA. I want to get rid of the TSA as a whole government agency. The TSA as an organization is a big mess. Complete lack of leadership and huge bureaucracy.

Even if leadership is improved, the TSA will never work properly because of the bureaucracy.

Already being done by TSA. The problem isn't the customer service training. The problem is with the leadership in TSA that fails to respond or the perception that TSA fails to respond to customer service issues. However, this again comes across as sour grapes. Ever do a comparison between the private contractors pre-9/11 and TSA? Private contractors were very rude.
Security pre 9/11 was carried out by unprofessional, minimum wage screeners - many that didn't even speak English.

Lets go outside of the United States for a minute and lets look at security as it is done in Australia as well as some Asian airports. As a general rule, you'll find screening is highly professional and it's obvious the security employees either like their jobs or they believe in customer service.

Case in point: I got selected for a random ETD swabing at PER. Screener asked for my surname. Here in the states I'd probably be barked at to produce identification. You don't have to present identification to go through domestic checkpoints in Australia - in fact meeters and greeters are welcome airside.

They don't have carnival barkers yelling at the checkpoints and all passengers are treated with respect and dignity. It's civilised.

Agreed. Need better x-ray machines. Tell me, do you expect private companies to pay for these? If so, then this post of yours is nothing but fantasy.
Remove the TSA bureaucracy and poor leadership. How much money do you think that'll free up? After the bureaucracy you'll likely also realize cost savings from better use of staffing. An incredible amount of money has been wasted and continues to be wasted - look at some of the GAO reports.

Not so sure I agree. I'm not sold on ETPs...yet.
The puffer portals, between what I've experienced, and read on paper, seem to provide another layer of security. They may not be the fastest, but from what I've seen on paper they seem to be worthwhile from a risk management standpoint if you can get a percentage of passengers through them.

No such thing. What you mean is recalibrating existing ETDs to detect non-explosives which MAY be used as catalysts for explosives. Of course, if we're talking about peroxide derivatives, then you've just banned a whole bunch of items normally carried by passengers.
I've seen liquid screening devices in use in Japan. However, this liquid ban is all reactionary, it's based on fear and no common sense is being applied.

There are also devices in development which can detect the chemical compisition of items by reading gamma-rays. There's a lot of interesting products out there; they just need to be pushed out of the lab and into real use.

Agree on SSSS. It's a redundant and wasted effort. However, your point about the "shoe carnival" is contradicted by your next point....
The SSSS system as it exists is a joke, but in a system where you manage risk I think it's worth taking a closer look at some people on a random basis. It wouldn't be printed on the boarding pass, the passenger would find out at the checkpoint.

In Australia not all passengers get ETD swabbed - they're pulled at random. What's wrong with pulling a few passengers at random for an ETD swab and a look at the carry-on? We're not talking about full SSSS treatment as it is, just getting a few more ETD's done at random and a look into the carry-on with ETD.

Either you believe that shoe bombs may be a credible threat to aviation security or you do not. Which is it?
I believe a threat exists, but the threat is minimal at best. A specific group of shoes are going to set off the metal detector because of metal shanks. Shoes could potentially be used to hide other items, esp. larger / oversized shoes.

If I had to come up with a shoe profile, it would be limited at best. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I stated that.

Disagree (and you've contradicted yourself). The basic screening process is enough. By definition, a selectee process means that we're going to screen someone again. I think one screening is enough. You, apparently, are unsure.
Have I? Again, perhaps I should have been more clear. Whats wrong using risk management to select people for ETD swabs and to look in their carry-on and ETD that as well? Random secondary doesn't have to mean the full backrub, pat down, and wanding. The person has already sucessfully passed the WTMD, but unless the passenger has been through a puffer, random trace detection checks for explosives are a valuable tool. Explosives are a credible threat.

I call it risk management. Passengers won't know ahead of time if they're going to be ETD screened or not. The way it is handled in other nations, its done efficiently.

Blah, blah, blah. You haven't said anything other than just a general objection to government employees. And you've contradicted yourself by having government-contracted airport security which, in the end, is no different than government-run airport security.
Perhaps I should have made myself clearer in some areas. I don't consider the 5 opt-out airports which are "private" to be truely "private" in nature. The TSA and government bureaucracy still exists.

We still have people who are reactionary running the show, including left-overs from the FAA. Look at the history of the FAA. Look at how many times the NTSB has suggested changes be made but the FAA either ties it up in bureaucracy or just fails to respond. When a crash happens and lives are lost, the FAA then issues a directive to correct something the NTSB has been advising the FAA about for years.

I'm sure you've heard of Jane Garvey, an old FAAer. Do you know what she said when it was suggested cockpit doors be strengthened? She gave lame excuses about pressurization issues and it couldn't be done. 9/11 happened. Now it's been done.

There's a lot of good books out there about the FAA and its inaction. Some air disasters from the past would not have happened if the FAA listened to the NTSB and other bodies. The procedures the FAA have to follow for new policies and directives are a joke. It's an expensive bureaucracy just like the TSA -- sadly, the TSA leadership behaves just like the FAA has done for years.

RE: Government Employees - I find many government employees (at both state and federal levels) simply don't realize they're civil servants. It shouldn't be a large hassle to get a replacement SSN card from the SSA, but it is. The postal service isn't exactly reliable -- this is why companies like UPS and FedEx are doing great for next day and 2nd day air document deliveries. If the postal service met the needs of the population, UPS and FedEx wouldn't be so popular. I trust UPS more than I trust the USPS.

SDF_Traveler
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:49 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Spiff
if the drone on the x-ray is actually alert enough to notice the obviously-altered shoes.
I've accidentally taken a lot of things on board (passed through X-ray) that
I shouldnt have. And those things passed the x-ray screening just fine.

In 5 years of flying after 9/11, I must have done this over a dozen
times atleast. Never been noticed. In most cases I found the questionable
items in my bag when I returned.

that doesnt say much about the alertness of the screeners.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You forgot to mention cost. These babies cost a lot of money. And from what I've heard from a screener who transfered in from an airport equiped with ETPs, they're also a maintenance nightmare.
What does a Patriot missile battery cost? What are the maintenance fees? Is this a war on terrorism or a war on terrorism?

What does it cost the US economy when a plane goes down?

Bart, do you think the US Government puts anywhere near the same amount of pressure or have the same involvement with ETP vendors as they do on missile vendors?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I won't disagree with you in general about private industry. I will, however, vehemently disagree with you about private companies performing airport security duties. This is because there is no such animal. What you have are private security companies that focus on traditional security guard functions ranging from manning controlled access entry points to patrolling parking lots. As an additional function, they will perform airport security duties. Now, do the math, and you will get exactly what you paid for: a $7 an hour employee who would otherwise be patrolling a parking lot.

Our hiring strategy (at the company I worked for) was to lure people into the office using advertisements for airport security guards. The ads showed pictures of armed patrol officers with the airport in the background, and we appealed to ex-law enforcement and military. The illusion was that we were looking for ex-law enforcement and ex-military to patrol airports as armed officers. Once we got them into the office, we tried to talk them into becoming regular security officers working outside of the airport. The incentive was higher pay as a security officer as opposed to the $7 an hour pay as an airport security screener. Whenever someone screwed up royally on the security guard side of the house, rather than firing them, we sent them to the airport to work as screeners.
Did you notice that I said that private security companies have to be incented correctly? You are referring to a situation where they were not incented correctly to do the job. Look at some other countries airport staff to see examples of how to get it right.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.