Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another absurd overreaction to water bottles by crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another absurd overreaction to water bottles by crew

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Nice dodge. Arguing by convenience doesn't win brownie points in my book.
Sorry, Bart, but G is right. You were trying to make some sort of lawyerly arguement, and it just supported the overriding point that TSA too often goes WAY overboard. Rules are written on paper, not carved in stone. Most companies write rules with the full knowledge that their employees possess some level of common sense, and they have the latitude to be flexible in enforcement. We just wish the TSA showed the same level of common sense. This incident was a fiasco, and entirely caused by people lacking in common sense and good judgement.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I fault the passenger for not showing more discretion and common sense. It is no secret that bottles of water are prohibited yet this bozo opted to show it off. I empathize with the crew on this and fault the passenger.
I fault Chertoff and Hawley for even making this an issue.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, 30,000 feet in the air with a plane full of people is no place to make a political protest.

Unless you think inconveniencing the rest of your fellow passengers is worth the hassle.
Well, if enough diversions happen, maybe it would get it thru to people that the issue is stupid. People appear to finally be waking up to it. Maybe the point should be driven home.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To hell with everyone else, eh? OK. Got it.
Maybe it's just me. If someone had a bottle on my flight and we got diverted, I'd be giving TSA and the airlines an earful, not the pax.

Sometimes being "about everyone" appears to be "about me."
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Superguy
Maybe it's just me. If someone had a bottle on my flight and we got diverted, I'd be giving TSA and the airlines an earful, not the pax.
^ So will I.

In fact, I already phoned up AirTran and berated them for their stupid diversion and will keep looking for other opportunities to let airlines know when they are acting stupid.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To hell with everyone else, eh? OK. Got it.
Comrade Chertoff and Half-Wit Hawley and 44,000 of their minions have long held the "to hell with everyone else" viewpoint - when I do, it's suddenly wrong?

Any guesses when ConditionStupid*/ConditionRetarded** will be replaced with ConditionSensible?

* Your words
** My nine year olds' words
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
^ So will I.

In fact, I already phoned up AirTran and berated them for their stupid diversion and will keep looking for other opportunities to let airlines know when they are acting stupid.
I think doing that in a courtious way would help the airlines understand where ythe passengers stand. I called jet Blue after the Arabic T-Shirt incident and the rep I spoke to was very aware of the incident. She said that they had received a lot of calls supporting the guy with the T-Shirt. We had a nice discussion an I made my point politely and emphatically. Will anything change because of it? Probably not. Do I feel like I was heard? Yes. Will I fly Jet Blue? Because of the respect I was shown during the phone call, Absolutely!

And I realize the TSA were the ones with the shirt issue and the Jet Blue agent was trying to help diffuse the situation.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by rc408
I think doing that in a courtious way would help the airlines understand where ythe passengers stand. I called jet Blue after the Arabic T-Shirt incident and the rep I spoke to was very aware of the incident. She said that they had received a lot of calls supporting the guy with the T-Shirt. We had a nice discussion an I made my point politely and emphatically. Will anything change because of it? Probably not. Do I feel like I was heard? Yes. Will I fly Jet Blue? Because of the respect I was shown during the phone call, Absolutely!

And I realize the TSA were the ones with the shirt issue and the Jet Blue agent was trying to help diffuse the situation.
By contrast, tha AirTran agent I got was rude and snotty.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage

If you get a bottle of water aboard, keep it to yourself and don't make a big deal out of it. That's the lesson-learned here.
Ok, so I was thinking about this. When I recently was given a bottle by
a FA (most got cups but I requested a bottle and she gave me a large one,
about 1/2 full)...I tried to be very subtle when drinking from it, and stuck
it right into my bag etc. But then I thought, what if someone sees me and
thinks I'm being furtive/sneaky because I'm doing something illegal?

I don't know the proper etiquette for "drinking from a bottle that appears to
be forbidden but is actually permitted, in the atmosphere of absolute
insanity otherwise known as the water ban"....

--LG
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:48 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Here is the way to do it. Smuggle a bottle of water on the plane. During boarding, smuggle it into the lavatory. Pretend to fill an empty bottle with TSA-approved, non-explosive airplane tap water. Return to seat.

Should the flight be diverted because you are drinking water, simply explain that you filled the bottle with TSA-approved, non-explosive airplane tap water. Taking a picture in the lav of the bottle with the water flowing from the tap using a digital camera might help (otherwise it's your word against the sheeple, and we intelligent ones are seriously outnumbered).

I have two remaining air itineraries ticketed pre-8/10 (was three, and that one was uneventful and I didn't even do the lav trick). Just to make sure I stay out of Gitmo, I plan to do the lav trick on the two remaining itineraries. Wish me luck.

I encourage everyone to do this. Lots of diversions for what turns out to be TSA-approved, non-explosive airplane tap water (fighting fire with fire as it were) may get the point across. Time for Boston Tea Party #2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.