Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never yell at the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
For better or for worse, this situation seems to fall under the mantra of "if he conducts himself like this on the ground, we don't want to find out how he's going to conduct himself in the air"-- irrespective of a substantiated threat and/or alarm.
What might he do on the aircraft? State that all baggage handlers are theives? Question the intelligence of an FA? Obviously, we don't have all the facts, and someone who is acting aggressively or in a threatening manner could, in specific circumstances, be deemed a threat. However, eyecue hasn't identified anything done by this passenger which remotely implicates a threat to safety and security. Since when is, "insulting," a security concern?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Which of these actions marked him as a security risk? I'm sorry, but your only function is to ensure that security risks do not make it past your checkpoint, not that people with bad attitudes about TSA can't fly. I think it is outrageous that he wasn't allowed to fly.
I almost think it would be smarting of to the airline GSC would be what kept him off the plane. TSA probably would have to clear him if he didn't have anything prohibited. Or unless the LEO arrested him, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
TSA has only a very few thieves. That accusation was unfair.
I hope this was meant tongue-in-cheek. TSA shouldn't have any thieves. However, since when is "making unfair accusations" a security risk? I thought it was political speech and protected by the First Amendment.

I also question the intelligence of some TSA staff -- and the questions are legitimate! But the supervisors are generally quite intelligent and sophisticated; no complaints there at all.
I've found TSA staff to be uniformly pleasant, professional and polite -- I can't recall a single bad experience. What does that have to do with anything? Eyecue related an instance in which someone wasn't allowed to fly because TSA thought he had a bad attitude. I wasn't aware that TSA's job included enforcing rules of etiquette.

If the library card has a picture, then what's the problem? It's issued by a government, right?
I was wondering the same thing. TSA's job is to enforce security rules, which require presentation of a government-issued photo ID. If a library card sufficies, what business is it of theirs if a passenger decides to show a library card rather than a drivers license or passport?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PTravel
I've found TSA staff to be uniformly pleasant, professional and polite -- I can't recall a single bad experience....
Wow, you need to get out more. Seriously, I have run into screeners who were almost idiots in the clinical sense. One guy wanded my watch and when it buzzed, asked, "What's this?" Another time, I reached an inch or so inside the metal cage at the end of the x-ray machine to get my coat, which had already been x-rayed. An extremely nasty woman screener screeched at me that now she has to rerun the coat. I said that rerunning the coat would be stupid because it was just x-rayed. She repeatedly said, "Call me stupid again!!" I had to get a lead screener, who was even worse, believe it or not, telling me that he's a Federal Agent and "considered to be a law-enforcement officer." Uh-huh! If you haven't run into a moronic TSA employee, then you lead a charmed life!

Bruce
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 pm

Just like meter maids are "law-enforcement officers" too, right?

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 2, 2006 at 2:11 am Reason: Inflammatory remark removed
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
If you haven't run into a moronic TSA employee, then you lead a charmed life!
I guess so. I haven't had a secondary in years, though I've been through the puffer a couple of times at SFO (my home airport). My computer bag usually gets swabbed because its crammed with electronics, but it's always been done quickly, efficiently and politely. I don't like the yelled announcements about shoes, but they don't bother me enough to be much of an issue. Maybe I just pick the right airports, but the TSA people either ignore me (which is fine), or are pleasant and respectful. My biggest complaint with security (beyond the stunningly stupid rules against liquids and gels) isn't a TSA issue at all -- it's the initial ID checkers who allow non-elites into the elite line at SFO.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
The male passenger in the selectee lane made a blanket statement about TSA being a bunch of thieves. He then went on to question the intelligence of the TSO checking his bag. Then he gave the LEO a library card for ID. Then he made remarks to the GSC. He was not allowed to fly.

You guys are running one heck of a screwed up agency if that man wasn't allowed to fly. It doesn't sound like he interfered with the screening process--indeed, you said that he allowed the TSO to check his bag. Unless the remarks to the GSC (which you do not detail) were threats, I don't see how any of his behavior was a threat to aviation security.

Sounds like one or more TSO's were on a power trip--nothing new. The only threat in the scenario you present was to the screener's apparently monstrous ego.

(BTW, if the screener really didn't think TSA employees are thieves, and had confidence in his own intelligence, then he would have just brushed off the comments. Sounds like maybe the male passenger was hitting a little too close to home?)

The way some TSOs lord the "Do you want to fly today?" trip over passengers, it's no wonder some people say unkind things to TSOs.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
Just a reminder

They treat citizens, employees, and contractors at the airport like criminals, and watch us with close eyes 24/7

Meanwhile, outside of PDX, RIGHT next to the baggage and checkin counter, they have 2 fully loaded double trailers full of gasoline, driving into the airport unchecked, EVERY day.

Someone could stick some explosives under the semi's, and blow the front of the airport and parking garage to dust.

This goes ignored by the port and the city.

Tell this story to KGW,KATU, or KOIN, and then let them know the lack of security outside the airport.

Also, the gate codes to enter the airport tarmac (4 digit code that I know, cause I had to drive in to pick people up), have not been changed in 8 years.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:58 pm

The male passenger in the selectee lane made a blanket statement about TSA being a bunch of thieves. He then went on to question the intelligence of the TSO checking his bag. Then he gave the LEO a library card for ID. Then he made remarks to the GSC. He was not allowed to fly.
Huh? I hope whoever denied this passenger the right to fly gets his a** sued off. That's not a valid basis for refusing to allow someone to fly. What the heck were they thinking? Stupid security goons. This is the kind of incident that convinces people that the is out of control and unAmerican.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As described, it sounds like it was just a matter of the passenger bruising egos, not a threat to aviation secuirty.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by justageek

(BTW, if the screener really didn't think TSA employees are thieves, and had confidence in his own intelligence, then he would have just brushed off the comments. Sounds like maybe the male passenger was hitting a little too close to home?)

I bet you are confused!!!

As far as brushing it off... would you want an idiot to come to your place of employement and insult you... didn't think so...
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:08 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks,

Just a gentle reminder to keep the invective directed away from other posters. Thanks.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator, owl shift

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 2, 2006 at 2:13 am
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:17 am

Programs: TSA
Just to remind you all, TSA cannot tell you cannot fly. It is the GSC that makes that determination. That is Federal law.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Never a smart thing to make comments like that to people who we all know can be on a power trip. I doubt a library card has his picture on it. This guy wanted trouble and he got what he wanted. The original sitution was awful but the second sitution was just stupid.
cheers
howie
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just to remind you all, TSA cannot tell you cannot fly. It is the GSC that makes that determination. That is Federal law.
That still doesn't stop many screeners from saying "do you want to fly today?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.