Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Profile Shoes"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by channa
they "threatened" to call a supervisor on me for not following instructions.
"Go ahead and call one, Tough Guy. While you're at it, fetch my shoes."
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:13 pm

Programs: TSA
ummmm

Originally Posted by GregL
If that was really what they were doing, then I'd be in favor of it... but an X-Ray by itself won't tell you anything. How will an X-ray tell you if there are explosives? You need to do an ETD and that's never done.

Greg
Suffice it to say that we can tell on x-ray if there is something amiss with shoes. The etd would only confirm it.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by channa
When I asked them to return the shoes to me since 1) I didn't want to walk across the floor in socks, and 2) they took them away from me in the first place, they "threatened" to call a supervisor on me for not following instructions.
If the screener threatens to call a supervisor over, my suggestion is, let them. If the supervisor is worth anything, he/she would understand your concerns and make it happen. For some reason, some screeners use the threaten to call a screener as some sort of intimidation tactic, but many times it works against them. There are many supervisors around the country that I keep in touch with and we've shared stories about screeners trying to get the last laugh by calling a supervisor over only to have themselves being counseled for poor customer service in the end. I can say that there are many supervisors out there that believe in making the passenger experience through security as stressless as possible.

The next time a screener tries to intimidate you by calling a supervisor, call their bluff...let them. Do not be intimidated. Most likely, you'll get better service when a supervisor gets involved.

To those flyers who have received services to the contrary, my apologies!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:46 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by TSASuper
There are many supervisors around the country that I keep in touch with and we've shared stories about screeners trying to get the last laugh by calling a supervisor over only to have themselves being counseled for poor customer service in the end. I can say that there are many supervisors out there that believe in making the passenger experience through security as stressless as possible.

The next time a screener tries to intimidate you by calling a supervisor, call their bluff...let them. Do not be intimidated. Most likely, you'll get better service when a supervisor gets involved.
^
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
...I can say that there are many supervisors out there that believe in making the passenger experience through security as stressless as possible. The next time a screener tries to intimidate you by calling a supervisor, call their bluff...let them. Do not be intimidated. Most likely, you'll get better service when a supervisor gets involved.
I have had several good experiences with TSA supervisors. The most recent was on Sunday, December 5, at 6:30 a.m. I passed through checkpoint lane #3 at EWR Terminal A, United satellite. The TSA "greeter" at the WTMD was demanding removal of ALL shoes -- in a reasonably friendly manner, but nevertheless demanding. I pointed out that mine are airport-friendly, non-profile shoes. She didn't want to hear it: "Take off your shoes or get extra screening."

I took them off, but afterwards, I went looking for a supervisor. I found "Ronald" and told him what happened. He looked genuinely distressed and promised to correct the situation. He shook my hand, thanked me and headed toward lane #3. A very good experience -- and not my only one. The supervisors really are a cut above the rest.

Bruce
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:36 am

If that was really what they were doing, then I'd be in favor of it... but an X-Ray by itself won't tell you anything. How will an X-ray tell you if there are explosives? You need to do an ETD and that's never done.
They're looking for hollowed-out compartments inside the shoes or for other seemingly hand-made modifications to the insides of the shoes with the X-ray image. They'll assume if you mucked around with the shoe heel or something that it was for the purpose of inserting explosives. It's not really any big mystery.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Exactly what I did. But I didn't let him get the supv. after he tried to intimidate me. I started yelling myself, "Supervisor! Supervisor!" and the screener quickly went and retrieved my shoes.

I guess he didn't see that coming.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:07 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by eyecue
Suffice it to say that we can tell on x-ray if there is something amiss with shoes. The etd would only confirm it.
Then please explain how the following three scenarios all happened in the past two months with the same pair of shoes:

1) Secondary screening including shoe wanding and x-ray (STL)

2) Secondary screening including shoe wanding (no x-ray) (STL)

3) Shoes worn through WTMD, no secondary screening (MIA, ORD, LHR, CDG)

I fail to see how the same pair of shoes can be adequately inspected in each of those scenarios above.

Greg
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then please explain how the following three scenarios all happened in the past two months with the same pair of shoes:

1) Secondary screening including shoe wanding and x-ray (STL)

2) Secondary screening including shoe wanding (no x-ray) (STL)

3) Shoes worn through WTMD, no secondary screening (MIA, ORD, LHR, CDG)

I fail to see how the same pair of shoes can be adequately inspected in each of those scenarios above.
I kind of doubt you're going to get a reply from someone in the TSA on this board, as it is farily evident there is no consistent shoe policy nationally.

If they did reply, they would say they have no control over what LHR and CDG does (that's good, if you think about it).

I've gone through the SSSS at ALB before, never had to remove my shoes at any time.

On another note, I found a few things amusing yesterday coming back from CDG via IAD.

One is that CDG never made me take off my Doc Martens OR remove my computer from my bag.

The second thing is all the re-screening after you clear customs. The only people passengers are in contact with are the Border Protection folks and airport employess (and since the TSA takes the airport employees' security background checks like the Bible, they're clean, right?)

Also, the TSA at IAD has apparently joined the shoe fetish club. There was a non-American in front of me yesterday who didn't take his sneakers off, but obviously had a hard time with English. I loved the TSA approach yesterday of speaking LOUDER to a person who didn't understand what she said in the first place.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, the TSA at IAD has apparently joined the shoe fetish club. There was a non-American in front of me yesterday who didn't take his sneakers off, but obviously had a hard time with English. I loved the TSA approach yesterday of speaking LOUDER to a person who didn't understand what she said in the first place.
Wow -- This sounds like the same screener at IAD whom I called an "idiot" last summer when I was sent to secondary for refusing to remove my shower clogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.