Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trusted passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Trusted passengers

I have heard of a plan for a ID card that would require extensive background checks but would allow passengers to bypass a security checkpoint as a trusted traveler. I think that implanted micro chips would be better.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:49 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I would much prefer secondary screening at the main checkpoint and secondary screening at the gate for every single flight.

A centralized government database holding the details of private citizens is a very scary thought. It may be voluntary at first, but eventually the feds will say "gee, this is such a successful program, let's make it mandatory".

This is a terrible idea and should be stopped immediately. All the complaints so far about rights and the Constitution regarding the TSA are baseless compared to this destruction of our liberties.

Just to add insult to injury, this will not be effective. Give terrorists a way to evade security, and they will use it.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
I think that implanted micro chips would be better.</font>
Implanted where?

FWIW, I agree with JS

Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

But isn't being hassled by security the biggest complaint here? It wouldn't happen with these measures of identification. What would be the problem of a background check? If you pay taxes or have a drivers license they know more than enough about you. Why not a little more?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Billiken:
Implanted where?

FWIW, I agree with JS

</font>
Ditto, I agree with JS too and want to know where you think these microchips should be implanted? Surely you aren't suggesting that they should be implanted in an individuals body???

TravelBuzz??? Why can't the TSA folks that have shown up follow posting rules???? Before anyone says I am trying to stifle opposing views, please see the following thread where some of us are trying to get a new forum for security issues started:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum73/HTML/000430.html
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that we have moderators I will leave it to them to enforce the posting rules for this forum (but I still wish people would follow them).
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
But isn't being hassled by security the biggest complaint here? It wouldn't happen with these measures of identification. What would be the problem of a background check? If you pay taxes or have a drivers license they know more than enough about you. Why not a little more?</font>

Do a search of the forum for 'trusted traveler' and you will find that this has also been discussed and some of us aren't real keen on that program either. Actually, you could have done a search on the web first and found a nicely related news story to link to making this thread appropriate for this forum.

My biggest complaint isn't being hassled actually. Mine is the waste of time and resources to accomplish zilch while bigger areas of concern are left unchecked. I can tell you though, there is no way in hell anyone is implanting a microchip in my body, most especially the government.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Ditto, I agree with JS too and want to know where you think these microchips should be implanted? Surely you aren't suggesting that they should be implanted in an individuals body??? </font>
I think that implanting the chip in the body was a given. I read Billikens question as where in the body would the chip be implanted. If you are really trusted, it would go in the upper arm. If you're not trusted all that well, it would be implanted somewhere else

"We're going to track everything."

http://naturalhealthline.com/newslet...2/chipping.htm

That said, my cats have both been "chipped", but neither one travels any better than they did before chipping, so I don't know that it would help.

birdstrike

[This message has been edited by birdstrike (edited 01-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by birdstrike (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Now that we have moderators I will leave it to them to enforce the posting rules for this forum (but I still wish people would follow them).</font>
This went way over my head. Did I do something bad? I am kinda new at this. Please explain.

Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Ditto, I agree with JS too and want to know where you think these microchips should be implanted? Surely you aren't suggesting that they should be implanted in an individuals body???

TravelBuzz??? Why can't the TSA folks that have shown up follow posting rules???? Before anyone says I am trying to stifle opposing views, please see the following thread where some of us are trying to get a new forum for security issues started:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum73/HTML/000430.html
</font>
Just a small surgical operation and you would be good to good. Special ops soldiers now have them in the event of becoming a POW.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tsadude, you didn't do anything bad, per se, it's just that the forums on Flyertalk exist to create order out of chaos, as talking about flying can be. You started a thread in the "In The News: ...." forum, but not with a link to a news story, as is customary, but a personal thought about something general related to travel, and the best place for it would be Travelbuzz. We don't all follow the rules so religiously, but people appreciate keeping the forums "clean", thus making following things easier.

As to "a little bit more", no, it's all already gone too far. If "they" "know more than enough about me," then case closed, there isn't even a need to discuss how even more information will be collected, because I won't consent to it, now or ever. Where is the line to be drawn? Is there a line in the sand? This surveillance society we have become is too much, and I can't wait for the era to emerge when the pendulum swings the other way, towards less surveillance and more freedom.

BTW, there are people who do not have driver's licenses, especially in NYC or the bigger places with developed mass transit systems.

As far as I'm concerned, biometrics is disgusting. Pre-9/11, I had a job where the office manager told everyone that a certain biometric procedure was being adopted for, you guessed it, "enhanced security" and that participation would be mandatory.

I refused, point blank. Guess what? They backed down, and never adopted it after all, I presume because there were a number of us who refused.

Next up would be urine testing, blood tests and polygraphs, and who knows what else?

[This message has been edited by anonplz (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:25 pm

My son told me that the best way to control a country is to make its people think they are free. It is suggestions like this that tend to make me agree with him
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anonplz:
Tsadude, you didn't do anything bad, per se, it's just that the forums on Flyertalk exist to create order out of chaos, as talking about flying can be. You started a thread in the "In The News: ...." forum, but not with a link to a news story, as is customary, but a personal thought about something general related to travel, and the best place for it would be Travelbuzz. We don't all follow the rules so religiously, but people appreciate keeping the forums "clean", thus making following things easier.

As to "a little bit more", no, it's all already gone too far. If "they" "know more than enough about me," then case closed, there isn't even a need to discuss how even more information will be collected, because I won't consent to it, now or ever. Where is the line to be drawn? Is there a line in the sand? This surveillance society we have become is too much, and I can't wait for the era to emerge when the pendulum swings the other way, towards less surveillance and more freedom.

BTW, there are people who do not have driver's licenses, especially in NYC or the bigger places with developed mass transit systems.

As far as I'm concerned, biometrics is disgusting. Pre-9/11, I had a job where the office manager told everyone that a certain biometric procedure was being adopted for, you guessed it, "enhanced security" and that participation would be mandatory.

I refused, point blank. Guess what? They backed down, and never adopted it after all, I presume because there were a number of us who refused.

Next up would be urine testing, blood tests and polygraphs, and who knows what else?

[This message has been edited by anonplz
(edited 01-21-2003).]
</font>
Thanks for the clarification on these rules of engagement. I have been investigated so much by the government it is not even funny. As a soldier you relinquish your rights to privacy. I have given up so many blood and urine samples that I lost count. I even have DNA samples stored somewhere. Big brother is watching everywhere.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:28 pm

I find it otherworldly, but tsadude's suggestion sounds interesting.

I don't know that this background check would require any more information than I already give up. The main difference would be the consolidation of of the data into one document.

In order to get frequent flyer miles, my every comming and going is tracked.
In order to avoid a cavity search and IDB, I charge my tickets with a credit card (don't pay cash if you are in a hurry).
In order to board my flight, I need a driver's license (or passport). In my state, that requires a fingerprint.
Hence a lot of my personal information is tracked.

What information, beyond the above, would be required. "They" already know my recent addresses, income, credit history, employment history, travel habits, spending habits, and biological information.

Now, I am against the survelance society we have become, but I don't see how this new ID card is a further step toward Stalanism.

On the plus side, the new card would save me some hassle and possible allow me to check in at the RCC (or other lounge) again.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This went way over my head. Did I do something bad? I am kinda new at this. Please explain.

</font>
See Randy Petersen's comments at the end of this thread:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum109/HTML/005647.html

I have pointed this out several times in threads begun by new posters who don't seem to have read the following description of this forum:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Posting links and discussion of articles in the news that affect frequent flyers. [please respect copyrighted articles by posting only the first paragragh of the article, the link address and then your thoughts on the subject</font>
All I ask is that posters follow the rules and post summaries of news stories (with links) and then discuss them. Mr Petersen seemed to agree in his post (see first link above).

Shouldn't be too hard to follow simple rules, now should it??

As I said before, I will now rely on the moderators to keep this forum on topic. Rules is rules, even if you are new, and even if you say you work for the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.