Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I've been asked to take off my suspenders @ WAW & LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

I fly with a pair of suspenders that are supposed to be TSA compliant, and for a long time, the security officers have not asked me to take them off, but on a recent trip, I was asked to (WAW, LHR). This bugs me greatly as I have to hold up my pants with my hand, and of course, I am supposed to put my hands over my head for the infamous "d!@% measuring" scanner.

Anyone else have this problem recently?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ah. American version of suspenders...
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Galluses for us here, not the sussys you were thinking about
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? These are called Sussys???

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I fly with a pair of suspenders that are supposed to be TSA compliant, and for a long time, the security officers have not asked me to take them off, but on a recent trip, I was asked to (WAW, LHR). This bugs me greatly as I have to hold up my pants with my hand, and of course, I am supposed to put my hands over my head for the infamous "d!@% measuring" scanner.

Not with suspenders but with a belt after a weight loss. I barely managed to get my hands back down after the scan to grab my pants (trousers for our British friends) before they fell to my ankles.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
And American version of pants.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
TSA standards don’t apply in Europe for obvious reasons.

it goes both ways. The TSA can never deal with my cufflinks.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I had no idea that was what the security scanner was for...
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by swampwiz

WAW is in Poland, and LHR is in the UK. Are you sure you were dealing with the US TSA at those non-US airports? Or was it the local screening agency?

Possible solution: When traveling, wear pantalones that are tight enough at the waist to stay up on their own (preferably with elastic in the waist so they're not uncomfortable through the flight). If comfort is a serious issue, you can always pack a more comfortable pair in your carry-on and change after you've gone through security; we transit with empty water bottles and fill them inside security, no reason why you can't wear clothing that works for screening and change to a more comfortable/practical outfit inside security.

For domestic travel inside the US, I recommend you get PreCheck, which (mostly) sends you through a WTMD instead of a WBI, so you can generally keep belts and spats on, except when you're wearing a giant metal belt buckle that will alarm the WTMD. This will reduce the possibility of needing to remove your belt or spats.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I suppose after 20+ years, TSA has joined the pantheon of specific "branded" words being used generically for similar products/services, like "Xerox it" is used for making photocopies.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LapLap
Differences between British vs. American English.

The Difference between Braces / Suspenders
In British English, braces can refer to a pair of straps worn over the shoulders for holding up the trousers...In American English, braces or curly braces are a pair of written marks that you place around words, numbers, or parts of a computer code, for example to indicate that they are connected in some way or are separate from other parts of the writing or code. In British English, these are known as curly brackets.

You can also use braces in both British and American English to talk about a metal device that can be fastened to a child’s teeth in order to help them grow straight.

In British English, suspenders are a piece of underwear used for holding up stockings...

In American English,
suspenders is the word used for a pair of straps worn over the shoulders for holding up the trousers.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Differences between British vs. American English.
Very nice. But there is no mention of Sussys or sock suspenders.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
I feel quite confident that is not what Scots_Al had in mind when he posted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
I feel quite confident that is not what Scots_Al had in mind when he posted.
I wasn’t responding to @Scots_Al, but if I had, I might have had different Sock Garters in mind, the kind that come with a “flash”.

https://www.8yards.co.uk/highland-ac...r-flashes-c237
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: AA
Talking

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I had no idea that was what the security scanner was for...
What else would it be for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.