Are CBP Agents Jerky/Racists

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by theplayer
If it catches some bad guys, so what.
They probably are failing to catch American bad guys while harassing American good gals for bad reasons -- natural consequence of misuse of resources in a world where resources aren't unlimited.

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
@seahawk: you have no idea what non-US citizen travellers are get asked.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that seahawk and his wife are unaware of what non-US citizen travellers get asked. I am very well aware of what gets asked by CBP.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Your wife's experience is your fault. You bear all responsibility. You need to fix it.
Adults cannot be enrolled as GE members without their own consent.
chollie and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:56 am

Why not use the Mobile Passport app if your wife doesnt want to get GE? Mobile Passport the few times Ive used (precovid) it helped me quickly thru CBP when there were long lines. I think its just as fast as GE and I believe there is a separate line for it as well ( at the airports Ive been through)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nas6034
Why not use the Mobile Passport app if your wife doesn’t want to get GE? Mobile Passport the few times I’ve used (precovid) it helped me quickly thru CBP when there were long lines. I think it’s just as fast as GE and I believe there is a separate line for it as well ( at the airports I’ve been through)
Of the US airports where I see MPC advertised a lot on my arrival, it's mostly been off or history anyway. And where I've seen it open and used it last year, it sometimes lead to the same CBP counters as for those Americans and others coming in under Simplified (Biometric) Arrival without GE.
ewoo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:06 am

Came back from Israel into Newark, I have GE, but was with my husband who travels on a Swiss passport. The agent asked us if we're bringing in any food, after such a long trip. I answered no. He sneered (no better word) and said " Cmon, where's your Jew food". After looking at him in shocked silence for a second, I told him that we had indeed brought sandwiches with us from Tel Aviv, but we had left them on the airplane because we knew they couldn't be brought into the US. So he said " great, go back to the plane (LX18), and bring the sandwiches here so I can see them ". Honestly, we thought that he was joking, or he was being complimentary about kosher deli , until he muttered something under his breath which neither of us could catch, stamped our passports and motioned to us to move on. I thought about filing a complaint as I had his name, but really? There will a!ways negative people wherever one goes.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:32 am

In the time that you've spent complaining on here about this experience, your wife could have applied for GE. Did she or will she complain again next time she is asked a few questions by someone doing their job.

And may I suggest that getting snippy with a CBP agent is probably not the most successful approach to shorten your interaction most of the time....

Last edited by Raymoland; Feb 28, 2023 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: hahaha
Will be flying into the US for the first time from a non-Preclearance airport, so I've never gone through the traditional air border with baggage claim after the first CBP checkpoint. I have GE.

How would GE have helped in this situation?

Yeah, I get that they can check you off with the tablet and you can rush through the primary inspection, but wouldn't you also be subject to questioning by a second CBP officer watching you get your bags or hurrying to the exit? Wouldn't that just run the risk of a second set of similar questions, if, for some reason, they decided to flag you down?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Asking this for Mrs. SeaHawg who does not have GE.

My experience returning to ATL from Frankfurt today was seamless through GE- agent waved me through very quickly. I have told my wife to get it to avoid nonsense like today.

As I went to collect our checked bags post-CBP, my wife texted me very frustrated at the CBP agent who decided to play 21 questions with her travel. She doesn’t have a job and travels on my dime currently, and this fact seemed to have set him off. As the agent was looking through her passport, he noticed she had been to GASP - THREE Muslim countries in six years- along with the 40 or so other stamps from Europe/Africa/C America/Caribbean.

Anyway, he questioned her about her job, my job, Egypt, and Oman, and she finally snapped. She basically said we can afford to travel and we travel a lot, and if he isn’t used to travelers coming through a CBP line, he should be reassigned to another federal agency where he doesn’t have to deal with well-traveled people. She then asked him why he was holding her up excessively since we were trying to hop on an earlier flight home and I was 15 mins ahead of her at baggage reclaim. He let her through, but what an a—hole.

Anyway, I guess CBP agents are allowed to be excessively racist and nosy for no good reason. My question is how nosy are they allowed to be, and will this get her harraSSSSed from now on?
Yes some are jerks, racist, stupid, general a-holes and any other descriptor you can find. It is not just CBP agents but their colleagues in other enforcement occupations, international counterparts and humanity in general. The key word is some. Your wife was lucky because when "she finally snapped" he let her through without delaying her further which he could have done.

They key isn't to bemoan the occasional jerk but instead learning know how to calmly handle them when they hold the balance of power. "Snapping" is not recommended.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
When I was single and traveled a lot solo I would get tons of questions and get "randomly" selected for secondary screening frequently and this happened at different airports around the world including the US. GE has definitely helped here in the US and the fact that I mostly travel with my husband as well. I am Hispanic but I can't say it is due to racism or xenophobia. I notice for example at MIA I would get harder questioning Hispanic CBP agents or other minorities than from a white ones. It sucks and I hope she gets GE soon. As others have mentioned you can always have her interview during a trip if your local office is always full. I did mine during a long layover at MIA on my way to SDQ.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by asovse1
Will be flying into the US for the first time from a non-Preclearance airport, so I've never gone through the traditional air border with baggage claim after the first CBP checkpoint. I have GE.

How would GE have helped in this situation?

Yeah, I get that they can check you off with the tablet and you can rush through the primary inspection, but wouldn't you also be subject to questioning by a second CBP officer watching you get your bags or hurrying to the exit? Wouldn't that just run the risk of a second set of similar questions, if, for some reason, they decided to flag you down?
After clearing customs using the GE kiosks you just proceed to get your checked luggage and then exit or drop it to get to your connecting flight. I've never been asked to do a secondary luggage screening. The only time I saw this happen was at JFK, where one of beagles sniffed this guy's luggage and found fruits. They asked him to go through a secondary inspection.
Marschel and asovse1 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond,PC Plat,MR Lifetme Titanium,Ex-CO Plat,UA 1K
If you have his name, please report. we as Jews have a difficult enough time, dealing with anti-semitism in this country as it is. Having somebody like that working where he does exposes us more. He wasn't just being negative if you think about it.
GUWonder, brenc3 and chessman like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:59 am

Yes they are jerks... but I don't know that racism is the reason.

I was in the GE line at ATL. The person at the agent was a Delta Flight Attendant (no idea if he had GE or was just waved into that line) The JERK spent 10 minutes quizzing him on why he had so many entry and exits on his travel record and stamps in his passport. GEE, you think maybe his JOB is to fly places??? We could hear him basically accusing the FA of trafficking things>..

Then I got the agent who saw my Russia visa and proceeded to quiz me to see if I was a " Red loving Commie" (His words not mine!) When he saw me writing down his name and info on a piece of paper he threw the passport back at me (Yes I reported him)
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
id say its no different to the general population. ive had everything from the nicest kindest most helpful officers through to the rudest most arrogant power tripping ones who threatened to deny me entry. its a bit of a lottery which you will get

I've had my fair share of immigration complexities over the years. Australian passport with L-1 visa, then became Canadian with a nexus card, then later L-1 status and now a green card. The global entry machines aren't really designed to handle my use case and so until very recently I always required an officer to process manually and quite often was sent to secondary. However, my problems really started when I moved to the US with my L-1 status. Outside of Canadian ports of entry, relatively few CBP officers are aware that Canadians don't require a visa and usually don't receive an I-797 either. This caused a lot of headaches because I only had the L-1 stamp in my passport, and later began carrying my I-94 as well. Many of them also don't know that nexus includes global entry benefits. So in the end I just stopped using the global entry line except when entering from Canada, because "you're not supposed to be in this line" just starts the interaction off poorly.

Luckily now with a green card and my global entry fixed those hassles are over forever. Never encountered any racism or questions about my overseas travel, but I am a white guy which (sadly for the state of our society) means I am less likely to experience it. I do have visas and stamps from all over the world in my passport though.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:25 pm

I recall shortly after 9-11 coming through CBP in LAX arriving from Australia. When the wife and I were next in line we stood and watched this agent who was a huge tough looking black dude just berate this lady with 25 questions. By the end she was very flustered. After bearing witness to that I was almost afraid to approach but I did and handed him our passports. He sized me up and then asked me who the all time leading passer for the Iowa Hawkeyes was (we live in Iowa). I was kind of dumbfounded but I looked at him and replied, "Chuck Long". He grinned and stamped my passport as well as my wife's and told us "welcome home".
ohmark and Marschel like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
When I was single and traveled a lot solo I would get tons of questions and get "randomly" selected for secondary screening frequently and this happened at different airports around the world including the US. GE has definitely helped here in the US and the fact that I mostly travel with my husband as well. I am Hispanic but I can't say it is due to racism or xenophobia. I notice for example at MIA I would get harder questioning Hispanic CBP agents or other minorities than from a white ones. It sucks and I hope she gets GE soon. As others have mentioned you can always have her interview during a trip if your local office is always full. I did mine during a long layover at MIA on my way to SDQ.
People can behave in racist ways toward their own co-ethnic group members, and the same goes for ethnic minority border control types. I used to find that the “brown males” in my travel parties were slowed down more at UK airports by “brown females” working UK border control than by other UKBF members. Miami also has that same kind of dynamic but the opposite sex dynamic is not as profound. But when it comes to border control types in high income countries, CBP is in a league of its own — even with regard to the Anglophone countries — when it comes to my seeing them go rudely hostile on passengers and even airport/airline employees and contractors. But they are also in a league of their own in terms of being welcoming at times. But a fast way to increase the odds of getting slowed down more is to act agitated in response to whatever questions they throw toward the traveler. Best to respond calmly and then complain in writing after done with the FIS.

The most extensive questioning I’ve had on arrival to US airports of entry happened after I got GE. It didn’t happen before GE, it happened only after and probably because they had little else to do that time.
kevino, SPN Lifer and chollie like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The most extensive questioning Ive had on arrival to US airports of entry happened after I got GE. It didnt happen before GE, it happened only after and probably because they had little else to do that time.
Same here. As a single male traveler, I routinely come back from countries like Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and barely even get a yawn out them with GE My last trip though, flying back from SIN, I was first off the plane at SFO, no baggage to collect, and I walked up to 2 CBP agents standing there with nothing to do and not a sole around. Boy did I ever get the 3rd degree. While I was counting out the 5 different currencies I had from my travels, I asked... "Doesn't global entry mean anything to you guys?" The response was something like, not when you are randomly select for inspection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.