Search

Why did TSA ask for 2nd ID?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jmastron
Right, and my question is, after presenting one ID on that list (my current valid driver's license) as required, if someone is asked for a "2nd ID", many/most of us simply wouldn't have a second item on the list with us. I happen to have more at home, but I don't carry them for domestic travel, and many travelers don't have a passport/GE at all. I'm not aware of any general requirement to carry more than one ID. So, had OP not happened to have a passport there, what would have happened? Would the agent have wanted to see other random info not on the list (credit cards etc), accepted the "No, I don't have anything else" answer and let him through, or what? I find it hard to believe that someone with a valid ID would just be denied boarding and sent home.
If the TSA employees push it, then there is the alternative identification method which the TSA uses when some travelers show up for the TSA’s travel document check without TSA-accepted ID. It may involve the traveler being asked questions, the answers of which the TSA is looking to match with what they access.
chollie likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Does anyone know how the barcode shows whether it's a Real ID? I just scanned the barcode on my drivers license and it doesn't seem to say anything about Real ID except maybe "Compliance Type: F", and I'm not sure what that is.
It's an ordinary 2D barcode (scans fine on the scanner I have for work), there's a whole bunch of fields packed together without delimiters, you need to know how to parse it for it to make any sense.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:26 am

Real ID has been trying to roll out for awhile. Please note signs at your airport or ask as this program has been delayed. The effort is for compliance of States to issue a DL Real ID. While your DL might not be expired, when Real ID compliant DL goes into effect you will need to update your unexpired DL or have another form of ID in addition to your unexpired but non compliant DL.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:30 am

Various reasons. First, computer told him to, (Darn, sometimes the machine is smarter, keeping in mind it has a larger data bank) second, preparation for Real ID requirements scheduled for May 2023, (Subject to change), third, Office might not be familiar with your presented ID, 50 States and no one could be expected to be familiar with all.
Regardless, look upon it as while you are compliant the Officer is doing their job to make sure that you are.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am staying away from getting state-issued "Real ID" ID for as long as I can. It has been followed less often by TSA asking me for secondary ID more often than TSA does when I am using a GE card or passport card at the travel document check step when trying to use the airport screening checkpoint to get airside.

In 2023 too, I definitely won't be seeking to get a state-issued "REAL ID" ID. If TSA wants to try to stop me from flying because I want to use a non-REAL ID state-issued ID for the TDC, I'll be more than willing and able to drive them toward going through the steps of the alternative identification method.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Does anyone know how the barcode shows whether it's a Real ID? I just scanned the barcode on my drivers license and it doesn't seem to say anything about Real ID except maybe "Compliance Type: F", and I'm not sure what that is.
I don't know but I'd like to know how you scan your license,
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I don't know but I'd like to know how you scan your license,
I use the Cognex Barcode Scanner app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcod...rs/id504201315). One of the toggles in the settings it to turn on barcode parsing for driver licenses.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I use the Cognex Barcode Scanner app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcod...rs/id504201315). One of the toggles in the settings it to turn on barcode parsing for driver licenses.
For those with Android devices, this app is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

I just downloaded it, and it does read the info on my Maryland RealID drivers license. But to display the information in an understandable format, first you must go into Settings and enable the Parser Plugin.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
For those with Android devices, this app is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

I just downloaded it, and it does read the info on my Maryland RealID drivers license. But to display the information in an understandable format, first you must go into Settings and enable the Parser Plugin.
Thanks, very useful. Scanning 3 licenses here:
  • My current Non-RealID license issued last year shows "Compliance Type: N",
  • My kid's RealID license shows "Compliance Type: F"
  • My expired license (issued 6-7 years ago) doesn't have a "Compliance Type" field at all
Along with gfunkdave's report, that's a pretty good indication that "Compliance Type: F" is what indicates RealID (F for "Federal" presumably).

Originally Posted by Kkkc
Various reasons. First, computer told him to, (Darn, sometimes the machine is smarter, keeping in mind it has a larger data bank) second, preparation for Real ID requirements scheduled for May 2023, (Subject to change), third, Office might not be familiar with your presented ID, 50 States and no one could be expected to be familiar with all.
Regardless, look upon it as while you are compliant the Officer is doing their job to make sure that you are.
I'm pretty sure all states are using pretty similar DL card styles now; it's not like the old days when things were hand-typed onto special paper and laminated, with vast differences in how to know what the paper looked like, how under-21s were indicated, etc. And yes, I do expect *airport* personnel checking IDs to be able to accept the validity of any state's license; it's not some podunk locals bar.

In any case, this case may have been a probe/test/glitch, but if a traveler presents a valid current ID on the official list, in the end the officer is going to have to accept whatever the traveler has available (and the traveler isn't required to have anything else on them; in my case a credit card would have to suffice), even if that means manual overrides or checks. There would be quite a scene if they tried to send many of us away with a currently required ID and a lot of ticket cost and plans on the line!

That's of course different from what happens after next May -- if I show up without a valid ID (then, and only then RealID required for DLs), then I know I'd be subject to whatever extra processes/procedures/delays are in place for those without ID. And there may be a lot of people at first; I'd expect/hope that those cases will be shunted to the side to get everyone else through.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am staying away from getting state-issued "Real ID" ID for as long as I can. It has been followed less often by TSA asking me for secondary ID more often than TSA does when I am using a GE card or passport card at the travel document check step when trying to use the airport screening checkpoint to get airside.

In 2023 too, I definitely won't be seeking to get a state-issued "REAL ID" ID. If TSA wants to try to stop me from flying because I want to use a non-REAL ID state-issued ID for the TDC, I'll be more than willing and able to drive them toward going through the steps of the alternative identification method.
REAL ID compliance used to be Big Federal Government versus States' Rights. That's why federal REAL ID compliance has been delayed for many years. The reservation of states' rights enumerated in the 10th Amendment apparently aren't a big deal any more; or, the federal government simply won the war of attrition against the last few holdout states.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
The list of acceptable ID's is on their web site. Pretty easy to find, takes only a moment. Its a pretty extensive list, just a quick look and I have 4 of them, somewhere around here.

TSORon
That's nice; so glad you have 4 acceptable IDs. Now what happens if you don't have an additional acceptable ID?

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, it's required. You have go get new travel driver license. Your license is expired already. You have go to MVD. You can make an appointment. You have filled the forms. You need get 2 things. Passport and driver license, too. When they mailing a new travel driver license within 1 or 2 weeks.
Huh? Re-read my post. License was 4 years away from expiration. Not even close!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.