Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

It is time to let non-ticketed passengers into the concourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

It's been over two decades since 9/11 attacks. Due to security reason. No one can go beyond at security without ticket. I'm tired of waiting!

FAA/TSA have no justifications about Ticketed Passengers Only. They violated the constitutional rights. Those non-ticketed passengers had it right to go through at security without a ticket. They want see loved ones off, families, and friends. They want to watch the planes. Those people wants to eat, meet the friends during layover and go to lounge.

It is time to bring visitors back in the entire concourse. There is no forever! They lied to me. All I want to get an approved from the president. So please sign the petition! It's time! DO IT NOW!!
innesst likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
US airports are enough of a zoo already.

Last thing I need is e.g. an influx of even more people trying to get through security screening, while I’m trying to do the same in order to make a flight.
Dea Certe, MRM, CDTraveler and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by N830MH
It's been over two decades since 9/11 attacks. Due to security reason. No one can go beyond at security without ticket. I'm tired of waiting!

FAA/TSA have no justifications about Ticketed Passengers Only. They violated the constitutional rights. Those non-ticketed passengers had it right to go through at security without a ticket. They want see loved ones off, families, and friends. They want to watch the planes. Those people wants to eat, meet the friends during layover and go to lounge.

It is time to bring visitors back in the entire concourse. There is no forever! They lied to me. All I want to get an approved from the president. So please sign the petition! It's time! DO IT NOW!!
Whatchutalkinaboutwillis?
Dea Certe and MiscMel70 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
They violated the constitutional rights.
What constitutional rights, may I ask?
Dea Certe, MRM, awayIgo and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
What constitutional rights, may I ask?
Because they violated the first amendment rights.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
What about the second amendment?
Dea Certe and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Absolutely crackers that idea.
Dea Certe, awayIgo and Marschel like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On September 9th and 10th in 2001, I could go airside at DCA and at JFK without having any boarding pass and ID check. A return to not having to pull out ID and a boarding pass and dealing with ID checks for me to get airside? That would be welcomed by me, but I doubt we will see that anytime soon.

Originally Posted by tai4de2
US airports are enough of a zoo already.

Last thing I need is e.g. an influx of even more people trying to get through security screening, while I’m trying to do the same in order to make a flight.
If the TSA's ID checking of passengers were eliminated, that would allow for bringing in more non-ticketed passengers into the concourses and free up TSA employees to speed up the screening process. [Self-scanning ID thing for PreCheck and Clear maybe could continue somehow, although I wouldn't shed any tears if they eliminate that stuff and default to providing PreCheck-type at-airport screening to all regardless of ID.]

Personally, I don't think an opening of the concourses to non-ticketed passengers would negatively impact me to any material extent; and it would probably benefit me since then I could perhaps more easily get airside deliveries of screened goods without having to go landside myself.

Given the costs for airport parking just to go airside when not flying out, given the hassles of dealing with the TSA security screening process, given the value-for-money gotten from airport purchases of food/drink and goods, I just don't see a real likelihood of armies of non-ticketed people showing up at DCA, IAD, JFK, LGA, MSP and ORD causing me inconvenience at my more typical flight times.
Rare and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 23, 2021 at 2:16 am
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
In what extend?

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
What about the second amendment?
FWIW - for a place that constantly subject to various security measures, airport is quite lenient on 2nd Amendment.
Dea Certe likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Whatever the merits of doing this in the long run, I can't see that this is the right time for a change--in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dea Certe likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have gone into the concourse as a non ticketed passenger. It was not a problem as I was accompanying my elderly father to the gate. He had wheelchair assistant as well. It worked out fine.

I have also met friends at the airport. I or they just left the concourse, not a problem re-entering.

As for letting the general public through, no way. TSA gauntlet is already nuts, that ain't going away anytime soon. At this point there are bigger battles with the TSA nonsense.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's a non-ticketed passenger? How do you board a plane without a ticket?
Dea Certe likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:11 pm

Wait.... "Non-ticketed passenger"?

Don't we call those stowaways?

Fwiw, security theatre was not invented on 9/11. Most gripes about pointless security measures end up getting blamed on 9/11 when they actually have little to do with it. Here for example is a forum thread of people complaining about this policy at various airports in 2001 but in March!

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76047

Also... the list of airports where you can go airside without a ticket includes SEA, PIT, DTW, MSY, FNT, and (temporarily suspended) TPA . The advent of the TSA means there's more paperwork involved since the airport needs to have a "security plan" the TSA approves but apparently that's not actually hard for the airport to arrange if they want to.

MSY: https://flymsy.com/msy-guest-pass/
TPA: https://www.tampaairport.com/tpaallaccess
DTW: https://apps.metroairport.com/DTWDestinationPass/faq
SEA: https://www.portseattle.org/page/sea...r-pass-program
PIT: https://web.archive.org/web/20200229...ams/mypitpass/
FNT: https://signup.com/group/121927595801

Last edited by zkzkz; Aug 23, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Don't we call those stowaways?
No, we are not talking about serial stowaway anymore.

Those people want go into the concourse without a ticket. This is not serial stowaway. Just a visitor, but they are not going inside the aircraft. They like to watch the planes. Do some plane spotting, grab a bite to eat, and meet a friends during layover or go to airlines lounge.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What's a non-ticketed passenger?
It covers persons who are not ticketed passengers.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.