Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Federal Court: Travelers Have 1st Amendment Right To Record TSA Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Court: Travelers Have 1st Amendment Right To Record TSA Screeners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by yandosan
This is still an issue?
I had a kerfuffle with TSA in Puerto Rico around Sept 2012. They said on their website people could record everything but the scanners
and some female undercover cops working with TSA stole my camera and even deleted images. It was featured on Alex Jones and Drudge report.
I can't believe they are still hassling people over photography in airports. Is this not America?
It will always be an issue because there will always be those who fail to understand that whatever power they're granted when they put on a uniform or a badge or take an oath is limited in scope, circumstance, and duration. There will always be those who see anyone who doesn't respect their authoritah as enemies who must be destroyed. And there will always be those who simply don't care about rules, laws, or anyone but themselves, and use their authority as a cudgel to abuse and torment others, either due to prejudice or because they simply enjoy inflicting pain. Such people will always push the limits of their authority, a little at a time, creeping slowly toward authoritarianism, one pat-down, one grope, one yell or finger point or confiscation at a time. Until something grabs them by the collar and yanks them back.

Thus, these behaviors need to be brought back into the public eye periodically and the arguments need to be rehashed, so that those with authority are reminded that it's not absolute, not limitless, and not the most important thing in the universe. And that they are not unique or special or entitled to do more than anyone else doing their job.
Spiff, chollie, Boggie Dog and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hey good for my "home" circuit. Always nice to see a logical, commonsense decision.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
To the best of my knowledge, no jurisdiction in the US prohibits recordings of conversations unless those take place in areas or situations where at least one of the persons participating has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Please feel free to provide citations to the relevant jurisdictions and statutes if I'm wrong.
That's the case in MD. That's why Linda Tripp of Monica Lewinsky fame went to jail for releasing her recording of telephone conversations with Lewinsky. In that case, there WAS an expectation of privacy combined with two-party consent.

I wonder if the TSA would attempt to prohibit filming during the "private room" strip searches using the expectation of privacy standard?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:13 pm

I am surprise there was even a case on this. TSA always permitted one to record the checkpoint per their own policy. Also many federal courts ruled that recording in public is 1st amendment protected activity.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by looker001
I am surprise there was even a case on this. TSA always permitted one to record the checkpoint per their own policy. Also many federal courts ruled that recording in public is 1st amendment protected activity.
While TSA policy has allowed recording of screenings not all TSA employs have always complied with policy. Probably the most egregious case involved a STSO at New Orleans who called police on a 16 year old for recording the pat down of his father. Sadly the video of this encounter has been taken down. Fortunately reports of these kinds of incidents have decreased.

This Is Why TSA Agents Shouldn’t Have Badges!

Then when the kid explains that the TSA’s website says that it’s allowed, the TSA agent responds “I don’t care, I didn’t put that website up.” And then he finishes with “you respect this badge right here.”
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
While TSA policy has allowed recording of screenings not all TSA employs have always complied with policy. Probably the most egregious case involved a STSO at New Orleans who called police on a 16 year old for recording the pat down of his father. Sadly the video of this encounter has been taken down. Fortunately reports of these kinds of incidents have decreased.

This Is Why TSA Agents Shouldn’t Have Badges!
When i fly i have done 1st amendment audits by video recording TSA, while i had them call cops on me, that is normally where it ends once they get educated on 1st amendment. I did once have cops threaten to arrest me, to which i reply go ahead make my day as i will just get a nice payout as result. Cops ended up walking away once supervisor arrived. I am sure court ruling will not change anything as those TSA agents that feel one don't have the right to record will still be calling the cops regardless of what court says.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:43 am
Suspended

Those power hungry at the TSA don't care about your rights or the constitution or even what's on their own website. They care that you "respect their authority".
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.