Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Investigation ordered into TSA response to coronavirus after whistleblower complaint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Investigation ordered into TSA response to coronavirus after whistleblower complaint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am not certain about the Angel thing, I know that I am not one, and I have never met one. I have been advised to follow CDC recommendations (many of my contacts nationwide are echoing that as the advisement they have been given), and any additional advisements from the airport. As for a published directive from TSA, I have not seen one of those in the news or on the TSA sites. Most likely, TSA will not publish specific workforce advisements for the general public, past saying everyone follow the CDC guidelines.
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to absolutely clear on this - are you saying that TSA has never actually issued directives or orders or rules regarding PPE during this pandemic, but they have only issued ADVISEMENTS? TSA employees have only been ADVISED and not ORDERED to wear PPE?
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to absolutely clear on this - are you saying that TSA has never actually issued directives or orders or rules regarding PPE during this pandemic, but they have only issued ADVISEMENTS? TSA employees have only been ADVISED and not ORDERED to wear PPE?
Odds that the answer is yes?
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Odds that the answer is yes?
It's definitely possible that they have been ordered, but if that's true the question is, what specifically are the instructions and can widespread meticulous adherence be expected? Watch videos about handwashing and donning and doffing PPE. Watch a video about how to don and doff an N95 mask, about how to put on and take off gloves, etc. Do this whether you're interested in the TSA aspect of it or not because this is vital information in everybody's life.

The wearing of PPE has to be done right; it has to be done meticulously. The potential contamination points have to be recognized and scrupulously avoided. The procedures have to be followed to the letter. After washing your hands, you can't turn the faucet back off with your hands. You have to check the seal of your mask with your face. You can't touch the front of your mask, you absolutely can't touch the inside of your mask.

I was thinking about the potential presented by the TSA as an infection vector. I emigrated to Portugal in 2018 and I'm not going to travel by air into or out of, or within, the United States until we come out the other side of this thing. Canada yes, definitely a possibility once I see what happens with air travel in Canada over six months or so. USA, no way no how.
chollie and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
It's definitely possible that they have been ordered, but if that's true the question is, what specifically are the instructions and can widespread meticulous adherence be expected? Watch videos about handwashing and donning and doffing PPE. Watch a video about how to don and doff an N95 mask, about how to put on and take off gloves, etc. Do this whether you're interested in the TSA aspect of it or not because this is vital information in everybody's life.

The wearing of PPE has to be done right; it has to be done meticulously. The potential contamination points have to be recognized and scrupulously avoided. The procedures have to be followed to the letter. After washing your hands, you can't turn the faucet back off with your hands. You have to check the seal of your mask with your face. You can't touch the front of your mask, you absolutely can't touch the inside of your mask.

I was thinking about the potential presented by the TSA as an infection vector. I emigrated to Portugal in 2018 and I'm not going to travel by air into or out of, or within, the United States until we come out the other side of this thing. Canada yes, definitely a possibility once I see what happens with air travel in Canada over six months or so. USA, no way no how.

Ordered, I highly doubt that's the case. Guidance for best practices more likely.
chollie likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Ordered, I highly doubt that's the case. Guidance for best practices more likely.
I feel like that too, but it's not impossible that they have been ordered. But suppose they have been ordered to follow proper practices. Is that going to happen? I defy you to watch a video about hot zone hygiene and PPE handling and tell yourself the TSA is going to do that with the consistency required to keep from being an infection vector.

This is not the "we have to get it right every time, the terrorists only have to get it right once" situation that has been easily dealt with for 19 years by asking one American to carry a terrorist-repelling rock. This is a real threat that requires the TSA to get it right every time.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I feel like that too, but it's not impossible that they have been ordered. But suppose they have been ordered to follow proper practices. Is that going to happen? I defy you to watch a video about hot zone hygiene and PPE handling and tell yourself the TSA is going to do that with the consistency required to keep from being an infection vector.

This is not the "we have to get it right every time, the terrorists only have to get it right once" situation that has been easily dealt with for 19 years by asking one American to carry a terrorist-repelling rock. This is a real threat that requires the TSA to get it right every time.
Then I'm afraid we're screwed!
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: TSA
There is a presser that indicates that TSA requires employees to wear facial protection in the checkpoints. As for requiring PPE away from the checkpoints, I have no published information from HQ - so I can neither confirm nor deny that any requirements away from the checkpoint have been issued. If I don't have it from HQ, I can't publish it.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:02 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would it be remotely surprising that an executive agency would take a position that the executive himself takes?

That the particular position is controversial or that one might even find it outrageous is a different issue entirely . . . . one for OMNI.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:26 am

The Blog put out an update yesterday afternoon. It outlines the most current procedures nationwide. This is probably a precursor to some of the information that is going to be published hand in hand with any investigation - it also is a notable push to get as much hands off as possible.

YMMV in each airport because of local regulations or requirements, but the info in this article should be the standard as you transit through the airports at the moment.

Notable info:

- Passengers scan their own boarding passes, and changes to the ID verification process make the TDC experience touch free (barring any challenges, of course)
- They reiterated the use a swab once change
- TSA is making signage changes to help with social distancing (marking to determine 6 feet of separation)
- Reiterates the requirement to wear PPE, change gloves after every pat down, and at the passengers request

They also include a link to the active Corona Virus page, that is updated as things change.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's not stated in TSA's messaging speaks volumes about the lack of concern that TSA has for the traveling public and its own employees. Masks only required at check points. How about in the rest of the airport? The potential spread of virus doesn't stop when a screener steps away from the checkpoint. How about in the bag screening areas, break rooms, airport dining facilities to name a few close contact areas?

Then TSA says this:

In fact, did you know TSA officers wear TSA-issued gloves during screening & will use a new pair after each pat down or upon your request? It’s true. All you have to do is ask. Officers also inspect their gloves regularly & replace them as necessary.
Why should anyone need to "request" if gloves are changed after each pat down? What about other activities like handling a persons belongings? Why should gloves need to be inspected unless the gloves are not being changed after screening each passenger?

It's a shame that what TSA thinks is a high hurdle is set at one inch off the ground and still can't clear that height!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:06 am

What's not stated in TSA's messaging speaks volumes about the lack of concern that TSA has for the traveling public and its own employees. Masks only required at check points. How about in the rest of the airport? The potential spread of virus doesn't stop when a screener steps away from the checkpoint. How about in the bag screening areas, break rooms, airport dining facilities to name a few close contact areas?

Then TSA says this:

Why should anyone need to "request" if gloves are changed after each pat down? What about other activities like handling a persons belongings? Why should gloves need to be inspected unless the gloves are not being changed after screening each passenger?

It's a shame that what TSA thinks is a high hurdle is set at one inch off the ground and still can't clear that height!
I have no published info past what I have linked in here.

Some folks request a glove change for any number of reasons - they do not trust the TSO, they want to "pick on" the TSO, they have a legitimate claim that the gloves appear soiled or torn, the passenger doesn't want any other stuff touched once something else has been touched, or … There are many reasons someone could request a glove change.

Last edited by gsoltso; Jul 5, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some folks request a glove change for any number of reasons - they do not trust the TSO, they want to "pick on" the TSO, they have a legitimate claim that the gloves appear soiled or torn, the passenger doesn't want any otheir stuff touched once something else has been touched, or … There are many reasons someone could request a glove change.
I really don't expect more information. For there to be more would suggest that TSA has an honest desire to do more than the bare minimum and actually has some real concern for passenger and employee well being.
Spiff, chollie and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Some folks request a glove change for any number of reasons - they do not trust the TSO, they want to "pick on" the TSO, they have a legitimate claim that the gloves appear soiled or torn, the passenger doesn't want any otheir stuff touched once something else has been touched, or … There are many reasons someone could request a glove change.
Interesting how the half the reasons in your list are adversarial rather than practical (and you listed those before the practical and real reasons):
* Pax are paranoid and don't trust us
* Pax are great big ole' meanies who pick on us, mommy

And the practical reasons:
* Gloves get dirty and can act as a disease transmission vector
* Gloves can act as a cross-contamination vector leading to false positives on ETD tests

I wonder how many TSA employees completely discount the practical reasons and believe that pax are solely motivated by the adversarial reasons. Given the adversarial nature of the agency, and the incredibly myopic lack of understanding of basic concepts of cross-contamination, it wouldn't surprise me to find an overwhelming majority of TSOs at the c/p falling squarely into that category.
Spiff, chollie, Boggie Dog and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:58 am

Are screeners taught how to remove their gloves properly in order to avoid cross-contamination?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:25 pm

Interesting how the half the reasons in your list are adversarial rather than practical (and you listed those before the practical and real reasons):
* Pax are paranoid and don't trust us
* Pax are great big ole' meanies who pick on us, mommy

And the practical reasons:
* Gloves get dirty and can act as a disease transmission vector
* Gloves can act as a cross-contamination vector leading to false positives on ETD tests

I wonder how many TSA employees completely discount the practical reasons and believe that pax are solely motivated by the adversarial reasons. Given the adversarial nature of the agency, and the incredibly myopic lack of understanding of basic concepts of cross-contamination, it wouldn't surprise me to find an overwhelming majority of TSOs at the c/p falling squarely into that category.
I would venture a guess (based upon 15 years of doing this) that if the passenger did not give some indication that they are trying to prompt a response, the vast majority of TSOs would simply chalk it up to practical or personal issues and just change gloves. Of course, YMMV.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Are screeners taught how to remove their gloves properly in order to avoid cross-contamination?
TSOs have training on all of the specific PPE that they are required to wear/use. As a matter of fact, if the agency offers the use of PPE that is not required, there will still be training on it.

As for specific parts of that training, if it isn't published, I can not confirm, deny or offer specific comments one way or the other.

I am lucky enough to have had Army cross contamination training, which is pretty in depth stuff, to include the old school shower with cold water and bristle brushes (I highly UN-recommend, that was a 1 star experience, and it happened at Ft Indian Town Gap, in February...)

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 5, 2020 at 4:56 pm Reason: FT Rule 14: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote feature. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.