Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Apologizes to Native American Who Said an Agent Pulled Her Braids & Said Giddyup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Apologizes to Native American Who Said an Agent Pulled Her Braids & Said Giddyup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Apologizes to Native American Traveler Who Said an Agent Pulled Her Braids and Said 'Giddyup'

While traveling through Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Tara Houska, an indigenous rights activist and lawyer, said on Twitter last week that a TSA agent pulled her braids behind her shoulders, laughed and said ‘giddyup!’ before snapping her braids like reins.
How can a professional, well trained organization continue year after year to have these kinds of incidents happen? I would suggest the absence of effective management at the checkpoints.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:24 pm

Good and I hope the screener who did it got their walking papers too.
STBCypriot and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TSA and strange kids for you.

Mature, decent adults don’t do this kind of stuff, unless maybe it’s their job. Is this the TSA’s job? This wouldn’t be the first time they meddled with people’s hair, disproportionately more so with the hair of “brown” and “black” ethnic minorities .
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:53 pm

Screener snaps braids of Native American & tells her to "giddy up"

A Native American woman has received an apology from the Transportation Security Administration, after she says an agent snapped her hair braids like horse reins and laughed while telling her to "giddy-up" during a pat-down at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport earlier this week.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/giddy-...uring-pat-down
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Good and I hope the screener who did it got their walking papers too.
Van Leuven said he spoke with Houska the day after the incident: "I apologized for how she was treated during the screening of her braids — and we had a very pleasant conversation. She reiterated that she doesn't want the Officer to get in trouble, but she is hoping we'll take the chance to continue to educate our staff about the many Native American Tribes/Bands in our state and region to better understand their culture."
The "officer" needs to get in trouble, a whole lot of trouble.
:D!, STBCypriot and 84fiero like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.