Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Travelers Report 'Mayhem' at Newark Airport Security Check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apparently TSA hasn't figured out how to plan for higher traffic levels caused by cancellations and delays due to weather or other events. Reports of TSA lines wrapping 4 times around for Pre Check and even longer lines for non Pre Check.

It doesn't take a lot of thought to realize that passenger loads will be higher after a period of delays and cancellations. So why it it that TSA managers can't staff checkpoints to meet surge loads?

Flyers at Newark Liberty International Airport reported unprecedented lines at the TSA security checkpoint Friday morning, decrying "nightmarish" queues and chaos they said erupted with little to no information about the delays.
For roughly $8,000,000,000.00 for TSA funding, each and every year, I expect more from TSA!
Spiff, 84fiero and chollie like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Nov 1, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
EWR TSA screening checkpoints have been a major mess before. Flying UA out of EWR has been made very painful at times just because of the TSA’s ways.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think they have the extra capacity to call in? Or extra machines for them to run?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
chronic issue

Security delays at EWR are chronic, not sporadic. I have contacted the Port Authority about the problem # times. I cut & paste one of their replies (from 2015):
On behalf of the Newark Liberty International Airport community, please accept our apologies for your recent experience while traveling through our facility. Customer service is very important to us, the airlines and service providers. I am disappointed to hear that you were not afforded the level of service we strive to provide. As you are aware, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is the federal agency responsible for passenger screening. A representative from the TSA is copied on this email for response and handling.
NB Its worth noting that the TSA never bothered to reply. If they did, they would blame EWR while EWR blames them. Convenient or what?
What will it take to fix it? Mario Cuomo? More press reports like this? Americans speaking out??
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:04 am

As others have confirmed, however, chaos is chronic at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.