Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Tossing OTC Meds

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Tossing OTC Meds

Ran across this [MENTION=334464]ASK[/MENTION]TSA.

I have skin allergy issues - kind of eczema - so I am having to use heavy creams and need more than 3 oz for the week. So when one of my creams was pitched by @jfk @tsa

last week they told me as long as I had a script for OTC items I would be fine. I got them & I still lost it.

Replying to@chrislmendonca
and@TSA

2: However, any item, including items deemed medically-necessary, that alarms during screening and tests positive for certain chemicals won't be allowed through the checkpoint. You may always ask for a checkpoint supervisor.
11:24 AM · Sep 20, 2019·Conversocial
Proof that TSA confiscates (or disallows) medical items in some cases. Where is the requirement to have a prescription for OTC med's stated?

Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:55 am

There is no prescription requirement for anything whatsoever, short of stuff like compressed oxygen cylinders that is actually for-real dangerous and thus was regulated as such by FAA pre-TSA.

A prescription is also not a defense. Nor is it really a "thing" for OTC. Prescriptions are to give someone access to otherwise controlled substances, or a billing justification document for insurance.

The first tweet re cream says nothing to indicate that it tested positive. TSA's response says nothing to indicate that they treated it as medical. So it seems to me TSA is just ignoring the problem by obfuscation, per usual.

Note that insulin & nitroglycerine has to be properly labeled, see "allowed items" in https://federalregister.gov/document...ohibited-items, but that says nothing about prescriptions.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saizai
There is no prescription requirement for anything whatsoever, short of stuff like compressed oxygen cylinders that is actually for-real dangerous and thus was regulated as such by FAA pre-TSA.

A prescription is also not a defense. Nor is it really a "thing" for OTC. Prescriptions are to give someone access to otherwise controlled substances, or a billing justification document for insurance.

The first tweet re cream says nothing to indicate that it tested positive. TSA's response says nothing to indicate that they treated it as medical. So it seems to me TSA is just ignoring the problem by obfuscation, per usual.

Note that insulin & nitroglycerine has to be properly labeled, see "allowed items" in https://federalregister.gov/document...ohibited-items, but that says nothing about prescriptions.
Someone needs to tell TSA. TSA continues to violate travelers civil rights by prohibiting medical items through the checkpoint. To be highly trained TSA screeners get it wrong far too often.
84fiero and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Someone needs to tell TSA.
You realize I'm literally suing them over this, right? Sai v. DHS Secretary (formerly v. Smith, v. Covenant), No. 3:16-cv-1024 (N.D. Cal.).
Spiff and RDUdrifter like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You realize I'm literally suing them over this, right? Sai v. DHS Secretary (formerly v. Smith, v. Covenant), No. 3:16-cv-1024 (N.D. Cal.).

Yes I do, but until your action is settled TSA will continue doing what it likes, perhaps even after. As long as TSA gives individual screeners authority to prohibit items I'm not sure a decision in your favor will change anything.
Spiff and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors

Nope. A prescription is a note from your doctor saying "I think you should use this, take this much". It carries some legal weight for stuff not available OTC, sure, but there's nothing preventing a doctor from prescribing an OTC med. Last weekend I went to the pharmacy and got a box of Zyrtec with an Rx label on it from the pharmacist. I also a bottle of 81mg Bayer aspirin with an Rx label on it. Pharmacist handed it to me along with the Vicodin I was prescribed after surgery. Vicodin for pain, aspirin to prevent blood clots while I was sedentary during recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.