Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA's random police "open & look" checks airline religious catering trucks exemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's random police "open & look" checks airline religious catering trucks exemption

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6055304790001/

TSA's response: "[still] an ongoing investigation [since September 26, 2017]...[we] do not do any random inspections of food trucks":

Press release after the U.S. Office of Special Counsel's (OSC) December 18, 2018 referral after TSA inaction:
https://www.whistleblower.org/press-...s-exposed-air/

10 days after September 26, 2017, TSA involuntarily placed me on sick leave for 2 months ordering me to seek and pay for a private psychiatric examination:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...tigations.html

Fired again on March 21, 2019:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mp-appointees/
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I missed something but who is inspecting the catering carts and trucks and who seals them after the inspection? I personally believe an insider has a much greater opportunity to carry out an attack against commercial air and travelers, yet TSA expends almost all effort on passenger screening.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Maybe I missed something but who is inspecting the catering carts and trucks and who seals them after the inspection? I personally believe an insider has a much greater opportunity to carry out an attack against commercial air and travelers, yet TSA expends almost all effort on passenger screening.
According to the Fox News piece linked by the OP, a minimum of 50% of the individual trays on all catering carts are inspected by private security hired by the catering companies, and the trucks are sealed at the catering facilities by those private security personnel.

OP says that he was not allowed to break the seals and perform "random" inspection of catering trucks entering the airport through secured gates. He further asserts that he was told that these inspections were denied him because of the 1st Amendment protections.

The exact context of that comment is unclear to me; I would hazard a guess that OP wanted specifically to target catering trucks headed to airlines serving predominately Muslim countries in the Middle East, such as Emirates or Etihad, and this targeted "random" searching was seen by whomever made the comment as being a religiously-biased profiling.

TSA's statement says that they conduct NO random inspections of sealed catering trucks as they enter the airport, because those trucks were already screened and sealed shut by the private security hired by the catering company/airline at the source.

Personally, I'm okay with those trucks being inspected and sealed at the source, and not opened until their contents are loaded onto the planes. To me, it's not a matter of religious liberty, it's a matter of food spoilage and contamination. Opening a food truck and tossing the contents around at the airport access control point opens an opportunity for the food to be contaminated by security personnel who are not trained in food handling, not to mention the possibility of loss of refrigeration, and even the possibility that the screeners themselves could use the opportunity to secret smuggled items into the carts (we have seen TSA screeners involved in smuggling rings before). The fewer grubby little paws on the grub between source and consumption, the better, IMHO.
84fiero and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caterers must fall under TSA's Trusted Shipper program if other than TSA employees are doing the inspection. Not sure I fully trust that setup.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Personally, I'm okay with those trucks being inspected and sealed at the source, and not opened until their contents are loaded onto the planes. To me, it's not a matter of religious liberty, it's a matter of food spoilage and contamination.
We--TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response Federal Air Marshals (FAMs) and Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police officers--were allowed to go inside the cargo-bays of other food trucks--these trucks were exempt. FAMs are highly trained and vetted federal law enforcement officers under 5 U.S.C § 8336 holding TOP SECRET security clearances. You cannot compare FAMs with "security personnel" like the people who check your ticket before entering a screening checkpoint. If FAMs can expertly use and safely handle firearms, they will not contaminate food.

Surprise/random law enforcement inspections are very common. For decades, the U.S. Border Patrol has legally--Supreme Court upheld--stopped vehicles within 100 miles of the border. It is impossible to stop the massive flow of undocumented aliens and contraband just as it is impossible to screen the megatons of food trucks that enter the sterile air operations areas.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
We--TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response Federal Air Marshals (FAMs) and Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police officers--were allowed to go inside the cargo-bays of other food trucks--these trucks were exempt. FAMs are highly trained and vetted federal law enforcement officers under 5 U.S.C § 8336 holding TOP SECRET security clearances. You cannot compare FAMs with "security personnel" like the people who check your ticket before entering a screening checkpoint. If FAMs can expertly use and safely handle firearms, they will not contaminate food.

Surprise/random law enforcement inspections are very common. For decades, the U.S. Border Patrol has legally--Supreme Court upheld--stopped vehicles within 100 miles of the border. It is impossible to stop the massive flow of undocumented aliens and contraband just as it is impossible to screen the megatons of food trucks that enter the sterile air operations areas.
I agree that no vehicle entering the sterile area of an airport should be exempt from inspection.

I disagree that just because a person has a security clearance and can handle certain weapons that they also know how to inspect a truck carrying food. That would take some additional training and issuance of what is called in my area a "Food Handlers Certificate". That insures that a person is trained to not contaminate food stuffs, is aware of how food should be stored, and that the person doesn't have a condition such as Hepatitis.

I also disagree that doing certain things is impossible. In 1960 it was impossible to put a man on the moon. In 1969 the impossible became possible. When you allocate enough resources to any project amazing advances can be made.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

I disagree that just because a person has a security clearance and can handle certain weapons that they also know how to inspect a truck carrying food. That would take some additional training and issuance of what is called in my area a "Food Handlers Certificate". That insures that a person is trained to not contaminate food stuffs, is aware of how food should be stored, and that the person doesn't have a condition such as Hepatitis.
In 2017, such training and certifications were requested--and ignored by TSA managers--for TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response Federal Air Marshals.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I agree that no vehicle entering the sterile area of an airport should be exempt from inspection.

I also disagree that doing certain things is impossible. In 1960 it was impossible to put a man on the moon. In 1969 the impossible became possible. When you allocate enough resources to any project amazing advances can be made.
I agree with that.

However, I also think that if there are trained, vetted, trusted security personnel on duty at the food prep facility, who inspect and seal the food trays and carts, this qualifies as "inspection", and further random inspection on route is not only unnecessary, but needlessly reckless for both sanitary reasons, and for security reasons - any unsealing of sealed materials provides an opportunity for bad actors to secret contraband into them.

There is of course the issue that unsealing and inspecting kosher and halal foods could desecrate them, just as surely as inspecting blessed Communion wafers or wine would be desecration. I imagine that this is why the foods are inspected at their source and sealed for transport, rather than inspected along the way and possibly desecrated or spoiled.

In 2017, such training and certifications were requested--and ignored by TSA managers--for TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response Federal Air Marshals.
If there is any doubt as the authenticity of the seals on the food when it arrives at the airport, then TSA should direct its attention toward the drivers of the trucks. If there are any doubts about the competence, trustworthiness, or processes of those who inspect the food at its source, then there is where TSA's attention should be directed, not toward making useless random inspections of sealed food items.

This whole thing is yet another example of TSA over-complicating things in a vain search for imagined 'security', while completely ignoring simpler, easier, cheaper, and more effective methods.
Spiff, 84fiero, petaluma1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Update on yesterday's Fox News Channel "Tucker Carlson Tonight" video segment:

"Internal TSA memo says changes need to be made to food truck screening process - Dangerous loophole in airport security revealed; Hillary Vaughn reports."

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6057656277001/
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on yesterday's Fox News Channel "Tucker Carlson Tonight" video segment:

"Internal TSA memo says changes need to be made to food truck screening process - Dangerous loophole in airport security revealed; Hillary Vaughn reports."

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6057656277001/
Isn't it grand that TSA discovered this problem all on their own through a Special Emphasis Assessment!

No one outside of TSA has ever stated that "Insider Threats" could be a security problem.
Spiff and MacLeanBarrier like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Were Washington DC (MWAA) "Operation Guardian" events forever canceled?

I wrote this article that numerous TSA employees discovered that random Federal Air Marshal Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) and Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police "open and look" vehicle checkpoints stopped being set up after my September 26, 2017 inquiry about a bogus "religious right...First Amendment" exemption for airline food catering trucks. In it are numerous public documents and social media lending evidence of the stoppage of the multi-agency "Operation Guardian" law enforcement events in the Washington DC area:

Unlike its 2016 and 2017 Annual Reports MWAA stops citing anything about "Operation Guardian" or "TSA Federal Air Marshals" as its partners
[ . . . ]
MWAA's police chief tweeted about "Operation Guardian" events four times tagging it with #OperationGuardian, the last one on August 22, 2017. I also checked MWAA's other twitter accounts and still no mention of "Operation Guardian" events after August 22, 2017.
[ . . . ]
I have polled numerous supervisory and non-supervisory Federal Air Marshals, all of them cannot recall any TSA VIPR participation in "Operation Guardian" events after my September 26, 2017 disclosure. It may be pure coincidence that MWAA stopped publicizing "Operation Guardian" events--a month before my complaint–but nevertheless, Congress has an obligation to investigate. It is impossible to screen the megatons of food products going into the [air operation area (AOA)], so random law enforcement inspections are ideal for keeping airport employees on their toes and honest.
Dangerous ?Religious Exemption? loophole in Virginia Airports Security ? The Bull Elephant
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think you'll get much traction. Congress is focused on other matters and seem afraid to say much to DHS.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) agents confirming food truck loophole

A Massive Hole in TSA Security -- DHS Gives the ‘Red Carpet to Middle Eastern Airlines
[ . . . ]
Concerned CBP agents came forward about the unbelievable airport inspection protocol on the heels of a national newscast about food trucks driving through airport gates unchecked. The aircraft catering trucks are exempt from inspections for religious reasons, according to a former federal air marshal interviewed in the widely broadcast network segment. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which also operates under DHS, is responsible for inspecting the trucks but the agency gives out "special exemptions" to food trucks serving planes heading to the Middle East. The agent interviewed in the broadcast was ordered to stand back and a supervisor later told him that "religious rights" prohibited the U.S. government from conducting even an "open and look" check on the cargo entering the airport grounds.
https://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...tern-airlines/
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Congress is holding a hearing with the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (acting) this Thursday at 10:00 Eastern:

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/GO/G...0718-SD001.pdf
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:02 am

A high-level CPB port inspector with nearly 15 years of experience said Middle Eastern airlines get the “red carpet.”
Why???

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which also operates under DHS, is responsible for inspecting the trucks but the agency gives out “special exemptions” to food trucks serving planes heading to the Middle East. The agent interviewed in the broadcast was ordered to stand back and a supervisor later told him that “religious rights” prohibited the U.S. government from conducting even an “open and look” check on the cargo entering the airport grounds.
Serious, why???

Why do religious "rights" supersede the law??!?!
MacLeanBarrier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.