Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs Warrantless Searches of Computers and Cellphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Customs Warrantless Searches of Computers and Cellphones

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by looker001
So you do not see an issue with government employee reading private conversations?
No problem. Not a US citizen. For those coming from countries requiring US visa, they are already subjected to interview in embassy where private financial details are (often) required. No one is forcing the passenger to come to the US.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
No problem. Not a US citizen. For those coming from countries requiring US visa, they are already subjected to interview in embassy where private financial details are (often) required. No one is forcing the passenger to come to the US.
So if that was us citizen you would not been okay?
Old May 23, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
And what if that person is corresponding with a US citizen? Conversations, by definition, have more than one participant. And there is both a legal and reasonable expectation of privacy in private conversations held between people on privately held devices on a privately owned communications network.
altabello likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by looker001
So if that was us citizen you would not been okay?
On the fence and slightly leaning towards not allowing search of US citizen electronic devices. Definitely allow search on belongings.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
And what if that person is corresponding with a US citizen? Conversations, by definition, have more than one participant. And there is both a legal and reasonable expectation of privacy in private conversations held between people on privately held devices on a privately owned communications network.
I don't see a problem with that. The US citizen is not being examined at PoE. The "search" is being done to determine admissibility of the immigrant. For instance, if immigrant is stating they are coming in for tourism but correspondence on phone with the US citizen indicates US citizen is planning to pay the immigrant to work, I have absolutely no issues with that. I don't think it would make sense to have immigrant stating I correspond with US citizen thus you can't search my phone.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
On the fence and slightly leaning towards not allowing search of US citizen electronic devices. Definitely allow search on belongings.

I don't see a problem with that. The US citizen is not being examined at PoE. The "search" is being done to determine admissibility of the immigrant. For instance, if immigrant is stating they are coming in for tourism but correspondence on phone with the US citizen indicates US citizen is planning to pay the immigrant to work, I have absolutely no issues with that. I don't think it would make sense to have immigrant stating I correspond with US citizen thus you can't search my phone.
I do see a problem with that - the US citizen is not being examined at the PoE, but their private communications are being examined at the PoE by US federal law enforcement, without warrant, probable cause, or articulable suspicion, and without their knowledge or consent. THAT is a violation of the 4th Amendment that can't even be excused by the old Constitution-free zone, because the citizen is not present or transiting the border.

Despite the supposed dangers of not giving every entrant an electronic colonoscopy, I don't believe that electronic data searches of portable devices should be permitted at PoE at all. There are many other tools available, most of which have been available since long before the advent of electronic communication, to determine someone's eligibility to enter the US.

Interdicting criminals, smugglers, human traffickers, terrorists, and people intending to illegally reside in the US is certainly an important function, but I don't believe that it's so important that it overrides the basic rights and freedoms of the American citizen. Even when you catch the bad guys with such distastable methods, you've achieved a Pyrrhic victory at best.
Spiff and altabello like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Member

100% freedom and 100% security are mutually exclusive and either extreme wouldn't be realistic. We just have to agree to disagree.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This article suggests where searches of cell phones are headed.

Give up your password or go to jail

Found this paragraph interesting:

The rules on compelled decryption are more lenient at the U.S. border, where federal agents have given themselves wide authorityto search the phones of people entering the country ─ and have reportedly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on third-party hacking tools.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I've never taken my cell out of the country before. If and when I do choose to travel with a phone, I will get a burner phone, just on principal. I won't bother to password protect it and if they want to keep it, they can. It's not like I would ever use anything that the government had confiscated and subsequently returned anyway.

That's easier for me than some folks. I don't use my phone for photos, I keep very little on my contact list - only numbers I rarely call. I prefer to memorize numbers - good mental exercise. My life isn't on my device.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
100% freedom and 100% security are mutually exclusive and either extreme wouldn't be realistic.
100% freedom doesn’t exist for people in any country. And 100% security doesn’t exist for people in any country. So how can two non-existent situations be mutually exclusive? They can’t be. And yet we get the apologists for governmental intrusion/power to cart out this “surrender (some) ‘freedom’ for (more) ‘security’” canard for whatever government action they want to defend being used against whichever members of the public they want hit by the government.

Also, privacy is but the outcome of a subset of freedom and/or a precursor to freedom, not freedom itself. And the opposition to these electronic data searches is about the freedom to have privacy — and security — from government intrusion while crossing the US borders.

Increased freedom from government intrusion/power can mean increased security from government intrusion/power. Nothing mutually exclusive about that.
Spiff and altabello like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I've never taken my cell out of the country before. If and when I do choose to travel with a phone, I will get a burner phone, just on principal. I won't bother to password protect it and if they want to keep it, they can. It's not like I would ever use anything that the government had confiscated and subsequently returned anyway.

That's easier for me than some folks. I don't use my phone for photos, I keep very little on my contact list - only numbers I rarely call. I prefer to memorize numbers - good mental exercise. My life isn't on my device.
Then why not just carry it?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rickg523
Then why not just carry it?
Because you don’t want to risk having a relatively high value item taken by government employees or others and used who knows how.
Spiff and rickg523 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Because you don’t want to risk having a relatively high value item taken by government employees or others and used who knows how.
This.

If the government ever takes a device of mine, it really won't matter whether or not they ever return it. I will have had to replace the device while it was in government hands and I would never trust using it again after I got it back.

I think the very fact that I have so little on my phone will look suspicious to some government folks. You know, the same way some CBP folks really don't understand mileage runs or how a backpacker can travel so much without being a drug dealer. It isn't a huge deal, I just like to maximize my chances of relatively hassle-free travel.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

and you dont want someone knowingly or unknowingly putting malware / backdoor on your device... all it takes is a moment....
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Court rules against warrantless searches of phones, laptops

https://news.yahoo.com/court-rules-a...214210200.html

A federal court in Boston has ruled that warrantless U.S. government searches of the phones and laptops of international travelers at airports and other U.S. ports of entry violate the Fourth Amendment.
I suspect plenty of international travelers will be happy with this courts decision. No comment from DHS/ICE were not returned after the decision.

I know there have been older threads discussing border searches of electronic devices. Was unable to find them.
Spiff, 84fiero, Yoshi212 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I know there have been older threads discussing border searches of electronic devices. Was unable to find them.
I have merged your post into the most recent thread discussing warrantless searches of electronics by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.