FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   If you are a frequent flyer, put the trays back after you finished security screening (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1966946-if-you-frequent-flyer-put-trays-back-after-you-finished-security-screening.html)

lhrsfo May 8, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31049669)
It's more a matter of courtesy than efficiency. I'm Pre, but in the regular lines I've often had to stack abandoned bins myself to get at my bin that's still in the machine shrouding unable to roll down.

This is so true. It's amazing how often your tray is in sight but you can't get at it as some selfish people (usually DYKWIA types, rather than elderly vacationers) cannot be bothered to move their trays one place to the right.

And, even if their selfishness doesn't actually cause delay to others, what's wrong with a little courtesy.

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that the American posters (the ones who go on about TSA Pre) seem to be amazingly angry at the concept of moving their trays one place to the right. Perhaps that anger would be better directed to the grossly inefficient TSA system that they have allowed their Government to introduce. It's generally only in the USA where people seem too inconsiderate to move their trays - it's not a problem in most of the automated lines I come across in Europe.

kennycrudup May 8, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31079914)
the grossly inefficient TSA system that they have allowed their Government to introduce

:confused:

"Allowed"?! Maybe your Parliamentary system has greater input from the people, but there were too many companies who stood to gain from the implementation of the TSA, not to mention too many politicians who carved out juicy stakes for their own locales. "We" had almost nothing to do with it..

WilcoRoger May 8, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by e30st (Post 31037592)
Last time, when I saw a guy (around my age range, I didn't want to be unpolite with older folks), who left his tray there, I just kindly asked him: "excuse me sir, is this your first time ever flying?"

What do you guys think?

Well, as you're based in BUD, if you were to ask it there, my answer would've been a simple "Közöd?" Elsewhere: "Today? Yes"

Global321 May 8, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31079914)
This is so true. It's amazing how often your tray is in sight but you can't get at it as some selfish people (usually DYKWIA types, rather than elderly vacationers) cannot be bothered to move their trays one place to the right.

And, even if their selfishness doesn't actually cause delay to others, what's wrong with a little courtesy.

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that the American posters (the ones who go on about TSA Pre) seem to be amazingly angry at the concept of moving their trays one place to the right. Perhaps that anger would be better directed to the grossly inefficient TSA system that they have allowed their Government to introduce. It's generally only in the USA where people seem too inconsiderate to move their trays - it's not a problem in most of the automated lines I come across in Europe.

Clearly, you are, as the OP describes, flying for the first time. ;):D:D

If there are trays in the way, nothing is in your way! (Stacking them yourself to get to your stuff takes a half second.)

Some selfish clueless buffoon standing there stacking trays will keep you from getting to your stuff. No way to get around them.
If you know anything about FF'rs you know they fly through security and don't block anyone.

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that the European posters (the ones who are clueless about moving quickly through security) seem to be amazingly angry at the concept of moving their collective rears out of the way. Perhaps that anger would be better directed to the grossly inefficient German and UK system that they have allowed their Governments to introduce. (Or anger over Brexit.) It's generally only in Europe where people seem too inconsiderate to move out of the way - it's not a problem in most of the Pre-Check lines I come across in the USA. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers and cheerio.

WilcoRoger May 10, 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 31081185)
Perhaps that anger would be better directed to the grossly inefficient German and UK system that they have allowed their Governments to introduce.

This from TSA-land? Wow.

Global321 May 10, 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 31086502)
This from TSA-land? Wow.

9 of 10 times or better I can get through security in 5 minutes or less in the USA. Drop the bags, walk through, pick up bags. (If you used a bin, leave it. ;) )
Even switching terminals in the USA... 15-20 minutes including travel time.

UK? Better plan on 1-2 hour.
Germany? Ha! With 2 people in line plan on 15-20 minutes and proctology exam!

People can mock TSA all they want, but I go in and out of airports in the USA several times a month and my waits are in the 5-minute range. Sure, you get a bad one and it might be 15-20 minutes.

And that is 5 minutes with no one standing around stacking bins. If someone is putting bins back, double the time. :D:D:D:D

TWA884 May 10, 2019 7:55 am

Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Let's get back on topic, that is whether travelers should stack the bins after going through airport security checkpoints.

This thread is not about comparisons of airports security screening in the US and Europe.

If you wish to discuss the latter, please start a new thread on that topic.

Future off-topic posts will be summarily deleted without further notice.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator