FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   If you are a frequent flyer, put the trays back after you finished security screening (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1966946-if-you-frequent-flyer-put-trays-back-after-you-finished-security-screening.html)

VegasGambler Apr 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 31047024)

I generally gather my (and other nearby) empty trays, but don’t need you or anyone else to tell me what to do. I’d be likely to ignore you and walk away.

That's more polite than my likely response.

DrunkenDuck Apr 29, 2019 6:15 am

In life, there are two types of people. Those that realize there are people behind them in line. And those that think they are only person on earth.

Be efficient. Tight. Put back the tray. It’s easy.

Global321 Apr 29, 2019 6:32 am

In life, there are two types of people. Those with friends. And those that tell demand what others do with security trays. :rolleyes:

:D:D :D :D :D

Badenoch Apr 29, 2019 6:40 am

Originally Posted by DrunkenDuck (Post 31048130)
In life, there are two types of people. Those that realize there are people behind them in line. And those that think they are only person on earth.

Be efficient. Tight. Put back the tray. It’s easy.

It's easier to leave it there and move on which is what I have and will continue to do.

There are many types of people including officious busybodies who attempt to use moral suasion or public ridicule to impose their desired order of things on those who are not interested.

Should my handling of the bins offend some imperious twit they can either fume in silence or bring their concerns to my attention. Depending on the day choosing the second option may not be an entirely pleasant experience for them.

TWA884 Apr 29, 2019 9:15 am

Moderator's Note: Personal Exchanges

Folks,

Please discuss the topic, NOT each other.
FlyerTalk Rule 12.2

Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Posts have been deleted.

The next member to comment about another member will earn a minimum of one week time out of their posting privileges. Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Global321 Apr 29, 2019 1:13 pm

One other thing to consider... the basic premise is flawed.

I have never seen a delay/line AFTER screening of anything more than a few seconds. Even then it is just because screening is moving things along and several bins are coming out quickly.

If there is a delay pre-screening, it is because security has not moved the mound of bins waiting to be moved. And no amount of passenger stacking of bins will change that.

So the idea of stacking/not stacking having a material effect on wait lines seems false.

rickg523 Apr 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 31049630)
One other thing to consider... the basic premise is flawed.

I have never seen a delay/line AFTER screening of anything more than a few seconds. Even then it is just because screening is moving things along and several bins are coming out quickly.

If there is a delay pre-screening, it is because security has not moved the mound of bins waiting to be moved. And no amount of passenger stacking of bins will change that.

So the idea of stacking/not stacking having a material effect on wait lines seems false.

It's more a matter of courtesy than efficiency. I'm Pre, but in the regular lines I've often had to stack abandoned bins myself to get at my bin that's still in the machine shrouding unable to roll down.

Global321 Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31049669)
It's more a matter of courtesy than efficiency. I'm Pre, but in the regular lines I've often had to stack abandoned bins myself to get at my bin that's still in the machine shrouding unable to roll down.

What is the courtesy? Clogging the line by staying there longer than necessary? You cannot get to your bag if someone is standing there. If I get out of your way, you can stack bins (a rarity) if needed to get to your bag. If flyers get out of the way, you can do what you need to do.

And you did change what OP said to start...

"It really drives me crazy that at many airports the bottleneck is actually the lack of tray-collecting. If everyone would do it, time could be reduced by 10-15%."

This premise is complete and utter nonsense.

:D! Apr 30, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by catsniper75 (Post 31046714)
Here is an example of an automatised line.
From the recent time it has been implemented in Prague for EU flights, FF can even dodge the unfamiliar pax when preparing for X-ray as people send their tray once ready.
Then, the trays collections airside is also automatic when a sensor identify the last one as empty, and sent them back lanside

https://www.prg.aero/en/prague-airpo...2#lg=1&slide=1

The problem with this is that in some airports, particularly the UK, they now make people line up behind each unpacking "station", so if you are behind a slow guy you can't even move to the next empty one (as someone else is already lining up for it)

WillCAD May 1, 2019 6:01 am

I travel with two carry-ons: a 20" roller, and a belt/shoulder bag.

The roller goes onto the belt directly; it doesn't fit in a TSA bin anyway, so nobody has ever put it in one.

The small bag goes into a bin, along with my shoes and belt.

My laptop and tablet go into a second bin.

At some airports, TSA will require that the laptop and tablet each get a bin of their very own (ridiculous, as they can both easily fit in a single bin without overlapping in any way), so that increases my item total to four - bag plus three bins.

While collecting my crap at the end of the c/p (and simultaneously trying to prevent my pants from falling down around my ankles and avoiding stubbing toes in my sock-clad feet), I will stack my 2-3 bins, along with any other empties that are clogging the line, in order to allow my stuff to advance to the point I can reach it. I don't put the bins away, but I stack them to get the clutter out of my way, rather than leaving them strewn about randomly. I don't feel like I'm "doing TSA's job", I'm just clearing debris from my own path and trying to be courteous to those behind me.

Originally Posted by e30st (Post 31037592)
Whenever I go through security screenings, around 90% of passengers don't collect the trays and just leave it there, blocking others from getting back their stuffs.
And no, its not just a general stupidity issue, or a problem of low-educated people. Many bizclass flyer, frequent flyers with bragtags on their hand luggage also leave their trays behind.
Any real frequent flyer shall know that if you put your damn tray back where it belongs, it speeds up security. And still, most of the flyers don't do it.
Last time, when I saw a guy (around my age range, I didn't want to be unpolite with older folks), who left his tray there, I just kindly asked him: "excuse me sir, is this your first time ever flying?"
(it was a priority lane for business class and status passengers, so obviously he was flying regurarly)
So he replied with pride and confidence: "Ehh, no, I fly intercontinental at least twice a month"
I replied "Then why do you leave your trays behind, slowing down security screenings?"
He got the point, smiled at me, and collected his trays.
Let me know if I was an ....... here, the whole conversation had some humour within it, I also was quite silent, so I didn't humiliate him in front of other passengers.

It really drives me crazy that at many airports the bottleneck is actually the lack of tray-collecting. If everyone would do it, time could be reduced by 10-15%.

What do you guys think?

I don't make snarky comments to strangers in public places when they do annoying things. Such will only increase the risk that said strangers may take offense and become belligerent or even violent.

However, I do wish people would stack their bins a little more. Not necessarily put them back in a neat pile on the cart at the end of the belt, but if they'd just stack the two or three they use for their own stuff to keep the line moving, it would help me to find all of my own items and get me out of the way of the people behind me.

I think 10-15% is a gross exaggeration of the effect of non-stacked bins. I think the greater delay is caused by people putting themselves and their belongings back together while standing at the belt, rather than grabbing their belonging and re-assembling themselves at the benches and chairs provided past the end of the line.

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31038078)
I myself often don't even use a bin on Pre, just one those little bowls, for the wallet and keys, etc. Carry-on and briefcase go directly on the belt. I see lot of people doing the same in Pre, so maybe there's just less bin use ime.
But, still, the original point of this thread is valid. You should stack your bin after you use it.

Humble suggestion: Those dog bowls are a ripe opportunity for not only pilferage, but accidental loss - they can be knocked over and flipped much easier than the large bins, sending your items flying off to Oz. I recommend that you simply empty your pockets into your carry-on before entering the security line, which reduces the overall number of items you need to track as you transit the checkpoint, and keeps your important items (such as wallet and keys) more secure.

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 31049977)
What is the courtesy? Clogging the line by staying there longer than necessary? You cannot get to your bag if someone is standing there. If I get out of your way, you can stack bins (a rarity) if needed to get to your bag. If flyers get out of the way, you can do what you need to do.

And you did change what OP said to start...

"It really drives me crazy that at many airports the bottleneck is actually the lack of tray-collecting. If everyone would do it, time could be reduced by 10-15%."

This premise is complete and udder nonsense.

*utter

Badenoch May 1, 2019 6:44 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 31055674)
I think 10-15% is a gross exaggeration of the effect of non-stacked bins. I think the greater delay is caused by people putting themselves and their belongings back together while standing at the belt, rather than grabbing their belonging and re-assembling themselves at the benches and chairs provided past the end of the line.

+1. The lines would move faster if people retrieved their property and cleared the area immediately instead of lolling around to put their belt on, etc. or even stacking bins.

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 31055674)
I recommend that you simply empty your pockets into your carry-on before entering the security line, which reduces the overall number of items you need to track as you transit the checkpoint, and keeps your important items (such as wallet and keys) more secure.

I do this when standing in the line. It's not like I have anything better to do until its my turn. Nevertheless, I constantly see people start emptying their pockets once they get to the belt needlessly delaying everyone behind them.

cargueiro May 1, 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 31040319)
At some checkpoints, the bin thing actually makes sense - it keeps dangling pack straps from getting caught in the rollers (if any). For a screener, it's probably easier to just put all packs in bins than to check to see if there are dangling straps. That same screener will (or should) be eyeing the pax-loaded bins as they go through to make sure there's nothing to dangle and snag in the rollers.

In addition to your point about straps, some modern x-ray's user manuals specifically stipulate that specific trays must be used and items to be screened should not just be placed on the conveyor.

vanillabean May 1, 2019 9:29 pm

In a grocery line, I put a checkout divider after my items. It’s the thing to do, the kind of social glue that makes for a nice day. And if I have thirty items and the one behind me has two, it doesn’t make me any smaller by letting the person go ahead of me. When using a basket, of course you stack it on the floor after emptying. And I have never pictured it to be a store clerk responsibility. The same mostly for security screening, so I’m with OP.

Global321 May 2, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 31058398)
In a grocery line, I put a checkout divider after my items. It’s the thing to do, the kind of social glue that makes for a nice day. And if I have thirty items and the one behind me has two, it doesn’t make me any smaller by letting the person go ahead of me. When using a basket, of course you stack it on the floor after emptying. And I have never pictured it to be a store clerk responsibility. The same mostly for security screening, so I’m with OP.

To use your analogy, you are putting your grocery bin away pre-security. Further using your grocery analogy... after you have "cleared checkout", do you go back and put the bin away... or do you grab your bags as quickly as you can so the next person is not delayed?

catocony May 2, 2019 3:26 pm

Vanilla, you put your bin on the floor at the airport, where everyone has to walk around it to get their stuff?