Wiki Posts
Search

Random screening of my phone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

It isn't meant to enhance security. It is a performance for the pax and an effort to keep screeners' minds on their jobs.

The problem is that the screeners don't really think there's a threat, so they don't take it seriously. They get bored and focus on catching all water bottles because that's easier than staying alert an looking for 'something' that might actually be a threat.
Agree. Comes off as a “check the block” process. At the end of their shift TSA personnel can say “I processed x number of additional searches.” without any accountability of cause for why or how the search was conducted.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by halls120
When you get to a TSA Checkpoint, just this "Potemkin Village" and you'll be in the correct frame of mind.
The TSA’s ways are indeed the “security” equivalent of a Potemkin Village, but the scope and scale of what DHS/CBP/TSA does makes for more than a Potemkin Village, it makes for a Potemkin Country at airports across the country and even beyond, since TSA do this “pick your own hassle/pick who gets hassled” thing for those with phones or without, when the TSA wants it.

“This land is DHS land; This land is DHS fan land
From California to the New York island;
From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for DHS and DHS fans.”

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 24, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Agree. Comes off as a “check the block” process. At the end of their shift TSA personnel can say “I processed x number of additional searches.” without any accountability of cause for why or how the search was conducted.
Screeners/shifts have quotas to meet; it's the quantity not the quality that counts.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Chronic lack of oversight - what the heck are all those STSOs and LTSOs paid to do?

It's one thing to demand quotas from employees who operate out of sight of management - police, for example. The quotas were management's only way to force a cop to prove s/he did something, even though statistically there would be days when there was nothing happening on the cop's beat.

But at checkpoints, there shouldn't be the need for quotas because there are plenty of ever-present STSOs and LTSOs who should be keeping an eye on things.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Romelle
I don't have a cell phone. Can afford one. Can see, read, hear, poke screen and tote one. Chose not to have one. Manage quite nicely without.
Cool.. That’s very unusual in 2019.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
One more thing. When I told the TSA screener that my child had no cell phone, she believed me! Without even checking!

As it happens, I wasn't lying but the screener had no way of knowing that.

Worse still, I'm inclined to think that their internal procedures (such as they are) didn't require a check either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.