Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why was SENTRI vehicle inspection dropped and lanes opened to NEXUS and GE members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why was SENTRI vehicle inspection dropped and lanes opened to NEXUS and GE members?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest

Why was the vehicle pre-inspection requirement of SENTRI dropped? And why was the SENTRI Lane opened up to NEXUS and Global Entry card holders?

With all the concern over human and drug smuggling on our southern border, I would have figured that the SENTRI vehicle inspection program would have remained.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Since this is not about sharing experiences or asking for / offering practical advice regarding applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs to help traveling with minimum hassle and maximum benefits but about policy, please follow this thread to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by sunpass
Why was the vehicle pre-inspection requirement of SENTRI dropped? And why was the SENTRI Lane opened up to NEXUS and Global Entry card holders?

With all the concern over human and drug smuggling on our southern border, I would have figured that the SENTRI vehicle inspection program would have remained.

NEXUS + GE members are provided the facility to pre-register (+pre-inspect?) their vehicle if they plan to use it for entering US from MX. So I guess, SENTRI lanes were always "open" to NEXUS + GE...

Where did you read the SENTRI pre-inspection requirement was dropped? My NEXUS online portal still shows me the option to pre-register my vehicle if I use to enter US with it.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:00 pm

Registration (and approval) is still required, however the inspection part of the approval process was dropped.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:02 pm

So, can NEXUS + GE members simply enter their car details on the online portal and have their vehicles ready for SENTRI? No more visits to SENTRI stations required?

To clear all doubts I am adding the statement from official CBP SENTRI FAQ

If you wish to register your vehicle after your initial application, you must pay a $42 vehicle registration fee. Vehicle registration is only required for use in the SENTRI lanes along the U.S./Mexican border. It is NOT required for NEXUS lane usage.

You can add/remove a vehicle for use in the SENTRI lanes through your TTP account. Please select add a vehicle from the Dashboard. After you pay the processing fee you will see it pending review. Please note processing times for vehicle enrollment vary vastly and it can take 3-5 months to process.

Upon vehicle approval, you will receive a letter stating that you will receive a new SENTRI card, please disregard. You can use the vehicle immediately upon approval with your existing Trusted Traveler card. Vehicle inspections are no longer required.

This page seems to have been updated 10/01/2017 01:16 PM

Last edited by oakland; Apr 29, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Why does it take 3-5 months if no vehicle inspection?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:21 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I read on a web page that they still do the vehicle inspections, but at the border. Though this is not an official CBP page, it would make sense for them to do this.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/sentri.php

"Vehicle Inspection Guidelines

The SENTRI program no longer requires a vehicle inspection appointment. Now you will be passed to secondary inspection one of the first few times you cross back into the Unites States with the vehicle."
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
The whole inspection thing seemed like a waste a time, it's not like someone couldn't modify their vehicle afterwards.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:02 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Why does it take 3-5 months if no vehicle inspection?
Probably depends on whether and to what extant CBP takes the trouble to enlist its partners in the quest for ALPR data on the subject vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.