Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narcotics for migraine confiscated by TSA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that it's possible that OP simply got all of this wrong and that the second Officer was in fact law enforcement of some kind. On the other hand, I can't imagine anyone -- LEO or not -- tossing controlled substances into a bin. So, as OP has never come back, we'll never know, but I suggest that the facts are not as he posted.
Things make perfectly good sense if you realize it was to steal the drugs rather than proper procedure.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by yandosan
We'll never know if some of these reports are true.
I'm worried about how cops hijacked the word "narcotics." Pharmacologically marijuana, PCP, cocaine, LSD, mushrooms, amphetamines are not "narcotics." Heroin/morphine/codeine/fentanyl are, aince they are the ones that produce narcosis.
Well, per google, which is apparently the only source universally trusted, narcotics are
"a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for nonmedical purposes, especially an illegal one."

Words may have a root (like "narcosis") but their definitions are what is commonly acceptable, and often deviate from the derivation. That is why dictionaries constantly need updating.

For example, the word "google".
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Things make perfectly good sense if you realize it was to steal the drugs rather than proper procedure.
None of this story makes any sense and the OP hasn't come back to tell us anything. Fioricet with codeine has very little street value. Just sayin' . . .
gsoltso likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:29 pm

Well, per google, which is apparently the only source universally trusted, narcotics are
"a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for nonmedical purposes, especially an illegal one."
Words may have a root (like "narcosis") but their definitions are what is commonly acceptable, and often deviate from the derivation. That is why dictionaries constantly need updating

Google's good for a lot of things but I'm not sure it's the best dictionary. The theory I have heard about why cops hijacked the term is because it sounds a lot more spooky
than "tranquilizer" or "sedative" or "mild hallucinogen" or "dissociative." Very effective Drug War lingo. George Orwell would be proud.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Google's good for a lot of things but I'm not sure it's the best dictionary. The theory I have heard about why cops hijacked the term is because it sounds a lot more spooky than "tranquilizer" or "sedative" or "mild hallucinogen" or "dissociative." Very effective Drug War lingo. George Orwell would be proud.
The DEA's explanation:
WHAT ARE NARCOTICS?

Also known as “opioids,” the term “narcotic” comes from the Greek word for “stupor” and originally referred to a variety of substances that dulled the senses and relieved pain. Though some people still refer to all drugs as “narcotics,” today “narcotic” refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes. A more current term for these drugs, with less uncertainty regarding its meaning, is “opioid.” Examples include the illicit drug heroin and pharmaceutical drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, codeine, morphine, methadone, and fentanyl.
And the IWPharmacy's:
Narcotic

Opioids are technically categorized under the term narcotic. However, due to the negative association the term narcotic has with illegal drugs, it has fallen out of use in medical settings. The narcotic definition pertains to an agent that produces insensibility or narcosis. When thinking about these terms broadly, you can think of opiates as being a subclass of opioids, and opioids as a subclass of narcotics.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The DEA makes it easy with their drug schedules. If a drug is a narcotic, there is a Y under "NARC".

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/s...e_cs_sched.pdf
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:25 pm

Not a big fan of the DEA but at least they seem to have it right on their list. (What a cat and mouse game it has become between chemists and cops)
It's more local cops and local news that misapply the term, apparently...I see the term (mis)used for pot and cocaine all the time.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a big fan of the DEA but at least they seem to have it right on their list.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.