Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Misplaced passport at security - what would have happened if it couldn't be found?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misplaced passport at security - what would have happened if it couldn't be found?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I noticed my passport was missing as I put my stuff together before leaving the area and was able to retrieve it (no thanks to the very unhelpful agent I first asked). However, it made me think about what would have happened if I couldn't find it? For example, if someone had accidentally picked it up with their stuff and didn't notice.

If flying domestically (just using the passport as your ID), I guess you can continue on your way (assuming you have something else to show when boarding if needed) and deal with it when you get to your destination. But if flying internationally, I assume that you cancel your flight and try to get an emergency replacement? Does it depend if you are from the US and flying out versus being non-American and flying home. Or, my case, being non-American and flying to a third place (where I am a resident but not a citizen or even permanent resident). Since I hadn't left the US yet, I assume that I could leave the airport despite my lack of passport (I did have a NEXUS card).

I'm sure that the lost passport thing has happened, so there is likely a protocol, just wondering if anyone knew what it was? Not planning on ever needing it - just curious.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes. No. No. Yes.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that OP is a US passport holder and that domestic refers to the US.

It goes without saying that you do not need a passport to travel on domestic flights in the US, although a passport is valid ID.

For international, one of the reasons why most carriers do a quick second document check at the boarding gate is for exactly the circumstances you describe. Even if your documents were thoroughly checked at the counter or elsewhere, checking that you have your passport as you board would generally lead to being denied boarding if you have lost it between check in and the gate. It is then up to you to get it replaced and to rebook for some other time.

If you are talking about a US passport, it is possible to replace a passport (no emergency passports - those are to get you back home if you lose yours while overseas) in a few hours at a Passport Agency (there are 25 in the US) and those "few hours" are during regular business hours. Thus, if the next day is a business day, good chance you only lose a day. Depending on your fare rules, reissuing a cancelled ticket may be costly (or impossible).

If this happens overseas, the US cannot deny entry to its citizens, but the lack of a passport likely means you won't make it to the US to be admitted. Thus, US Consulates overseas are able to issue passport replacing documents (emergency passports). These are typically good for just long enough to get you back to the US and can't be used to continue your travel elsewhere.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that OP is a US passport holder and that domestic refers to the US.
Originally Posted by frontenac551
Or, my case, being non-American and flying to a third place (where I am a resident but not a citizen or even permanent resident). Since I hadn't left the US yet, I assume that I could leave the airport despite my lack of passport (I did have a NEXUS card).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Missed that. Replacing a lost or stolen passport will vary by the issuing country. For some nations you may be able to obtain a new passport at a consulate. For others, the best you will do is a passport replacing document which gets you back to your issuing country.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I keep my passport in my pocket when going through security. If not, it goes deep into a bag pocket which I zip up.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
OMG does this question bring back memories! In March of 2001 I "lost" my passport while waiting to check in for our flight from CDG to CLT. My husband and I were frantically searching along with everyone in line with us. We get to the counter and the agent asks if, by chance, I had a photocopy-I did! As I was digging in the bottom of my roller bag for the copy I felt a very slight bulge, my passport had slipped into the space between the pull out handle and suitcase when I took my coat off. I went home with an arm that looked like road rash from digging my passport out. My husband gives me crap EVERY time we travel out of the country, to this day. My (almost) experience was pre 9/11 and my husband vouching for me would have gotten us home but, probably, on a later flight. Having a copy of my passport along with my husband vouching for me would have gotten me on our booked flight. Things are different now but ALWAYS take copies of your passport-on your phone, in the cloud and hard copies, it can only help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.