Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why do TSA agents at the podium care so much that you have your ID and BP in hand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do TSA agents at the podium care so much that you have your ID and BP in hand?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Please note I am not asking why do you, the passenger, care so much. You would like a fast moving line. But the TSA agent is paid hourly and if anything a slow line means more hours on the clock!

At airports where TSA agents take ID/BP readiness as a Very Serious Issue, waiting in line is a noisy experience. Every minute you are bombarded with aggravated barks of "have your boarding pass and ID ready!" This is needless stress, both for the agent and for us passengers. It's also futile: the passengers who need to hear the announcement are not listening!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IMHO - it is a game of blame.

When the line is moving slowly, you won't blame the persons in front of you stalling the lines. Instead, you blame the persons stationing at the checkpoint for working slow.

So TSA blames you back by yelling for IDs and BPs.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:27 am

Sometimes you see TSA "officers" barking out orders to everyone like a big religious sermon.
Conformity in the name of "security" is the new Old Time Religion.
AceReport likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
The agents may be paid hourly but they're not working extra hours if the line is moving slowly, they're likely working until the end of their shift and another person takes over for them regardless of how fast or slow the line had been moving.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Maybe TSMs yell at the TSOs if the lines back up too much.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:37 am

One of the few metrics that TSA does collect, and base managers' compensation on, is throughput. They are under pressure to make the line go faster.

Also if they don't process people at least as fast as they come in, then you get an ever increasing line, which means missed flights, which means nasty calls to execs & very bad TV coverage. They're quite sensitive about both of those.
jkhuggins, gobluetwo and TSORon like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
One of the few metrics that TSA does collect, and base managers' compensation on, is throughput. They are under pressure to make the line go faster.

Also if they don't process people at least as fast as they come in, then you get an ever increasing line, which means missed flights, which means nasty calls to execs & very bad TV coverage. They're quite sensitive about both of those.
Yep -- Remember when clerks used to go through the line shoving index cards in the hands of passengers? You were supposed to hand them in to the ID clerk so they could measure how fast the line was moving. These days, they just bring down the Magic Dogs and suddenly, everyone qualifies for ExtortionCheck.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saizai
This is worrisome from a security standpoint. I once entered a TSA PreCheck line that was moving at breakneck speed. When I got to the podium I found out why.

The agents were barely looking at people's IDs and boarding passes. One rapid swipe of the barcode -- beep -- "Next!" -- one passenger after another.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
This is worrisome from a security standpoint. I once entered a TSA PreCheck line that was moving at breakneck speed. When I got to the podium I found out why.

The agents were barely looking at people's IDs and boarding passes. One rapid swipe of the barcode -- beep -- "Next!" -- one passenger after another.
If a person is screened for WEI then why does ID matter?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by davie355

It doesn't worry me. No other country in the world that I'm aware of does this ID nonsense.

If airport security has done their job, I have no problem sitting next to the biggest bad guy on the planet on my plane.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has threatened the safety of a plane or a pax by carrying fake ID.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
TSA doesn't want dad handing them six boarding passes and vaguely pointing at five other family members and then they have to figure out who goes with what boarding pass and who is a member of this family of six and who is not.
TSORon likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I wish that it were not the case, but it isn't. I don't need to be told how to make my way through a checkpoint in an efficient manner, but others do. If they are ahead of me, that slows me down. If someone makes it to the podium and starts unpacking their luggage to find their wallet, that is a delay for me.

As TSA new system in which is simply cans the ID and no longer needs to see a BP expands, this step will become even quicker.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 2, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would think that it's pretty obvious. There are plenty of people to be processed, the airport needs to throughput many travellers. Idiots fumbling with their documents at the desk just waste everyone's time. Not rocket science.
Often1, Randyk47, Badenoch and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Idiots fumbling with their documents at the desk just waste everyone's time. Not rocket science.
The last thing we need to be doing is calling fellow passengers names.

Maybe if the whole process of dealing with airports was less stressful, there would be fewer people "fumbling with their documents at the desk". Of course, TSA is a major source of that stress.
davie355 and petaluma1 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The problem is that different airports and different countries have different procedures. I went through security at some airport recently (don't remember where) where they scanned my BP twice within 20 seconds, once on entering the security line and a second time on reaching the security check proper. There wasn't any line that day, which was why it was all of 20 seconds, the time to walk up and down a couple of zigzags. Other airports it's one single scan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.