Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Facial Recognition Is Coming to the TSA Security Checkpoints Lanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facial Recognition Is Coming to the TSA Security Checkpoints Lanes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
TSA tests facial recognition technology to boost airport security

A passenger walks up to an airport security checkpoint, slips an ID card into a slot and looks into a camera atop a small screen. The screen flashes “Photo Complete” and the person walks through — all without having to hand over their identification to the TSA officer sitting behind the screen.
---
The technology is currently in 16 airports. In addition to Baltimore, it’s being used at Reagan National near Washington, D.C., airports in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Jose, and Gulfport-Biloxi and Jackson in Mississippi. However, it’s not at every TSA checkpoint so not every traveler going through those airports would necessarily experience it.

Travelers put their driver’s license into a slot that reads the card or place their passport photo against a card reader. Then they look at a camera on a screen about the size of an iPad, which captures their image and compares it to their ID. The technology is both checking to make sure the people at the airport match the ID they present and that the identification is in fact real. A TSA officer is still there and signs off on the screening.
---
I used this system when I departed on an international flight from TBIT at LAX in October. I was asked what document I wanted to use, a passport or a driver's license, instructed to place it on the scanner and look at the camera. Within a few seconds, I was told that I was good to go.

For what it is worth, facial recognition was used for boarding my JAL flight at LAX and Cathay Pacific flight at HKG. The boarding card did not have to be shown, I just looked at the camera, after a few seconds, my name and assigned seat were displayed on the screen and the gate opened allowing me to proceed to the jet bridge.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Know it's not exactly the same but when departing Galveston on a cruise CBP contractors take a picture using a pole mounted display then on return the passenger looks at the display, a comparison is made and a green indication is given to proceed. Only selected people or those with limit declarations get a personal interview. Although we have our passports in hand haven't had to show it using this system. Makes re-entering very quick but they are processing around 4,000 people in just 3ish hours.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Makes re-entering very quick but they are processing around 4,000 people in just 3ish hours.
~20pax /min seems pretty darn efficient.....
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
~20pax /min seems pretty darn efficient.....
It only takes a few seconds for the image system to give a green or red indication. Multiple lanes in use. I don't know what hoops those who travel on a birth certificate jump through although there's a lot of people sailing the Caribbean without passports. They go to a different screening area.

Leaving the Seattle cruise terminal I just showed the picture page of my passport. No questions or anything else. Similar experiences in 3 Florida cruise ports. The difference I think is dealing with the same people who left on the cruise then returned.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:05 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
One of my favorite movies, so I have to correct you!

In The Running Man the government didn't alter his image or speech, they just selectively edited the video to make it appear he was *committing* a crime instead of *refusing* to commit one.

But later, they DID photoshop his image onto another person in a video to make the public believe he had been killed.
But will Bakersfield Airport get facial recognition tech, too?

O.K., I will stop with The Running Man references.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've encountered facial recognition scans at a number of non-U.S. airports, mostly for immigration control.
Dubai's have been woefully inefficient, to the point that 5 out of 6 times I had to go border control agent anyway.

Japan I think it was only on departure, and the U.K. it was for arrival and departure. What reduces the efficiency is:
-the two-gate scenario (slows down traffic)
-folks who simply have no idea what is going on (whether it be a language issue, or wondering where to place the passport/look at the camera)
-and then there's the unreadable documents
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
-and then there's the unreadable documents
My documents never seem to work to enter the UK. I have no idea why, but every time I end up having to see a human who scans my document and welcomes me to the UK. The documents work fine in every other country I've tried that has automated pr🫣cessing.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Senate Bill Looks to Halt TSA Facial Rec Airport Screening

Facial recognition may NOT be coming to the TSA Security Checkpoints Lanes...

Bi-partisan bill that originated in the Senate...

According to the article, it was a cost issue. It was a privacy/surveillance state issue.

According to text of the bill, the legislation would prohibit TSA from using facial recognition technology or facial matching software “in any airport unless such use is expressly authorized by an Act of Congress.”

The bill would give TSA 90 days to “dispose of any facial biometric information, including images and videos, obtained through facial recognition technology or facial matching software.”

The sponsors said they take issue with TSA’s claim that the facial recognition program is “voluntary” for airline passengers and asserted that most passengers are unaware of their ability to opt out of facial recognition screening.
Bill text as introduced: Traveler Privacy Protection Act of 2023
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Hmm.... FRT is already in use at many airports, notably by components of DHS other than TSA as well as by the airport themselves (airport law enforcement) not in conjunction with federal law enforcement. I agree with the sentiment of the sponsors but it seems to be too little, too late, the cat has already left the barn with the cow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.