Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Drinking Alcohol on Board Emirates Flight to Dubai - Wise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinking Alcohol on Board Emirates Flight to Dubai - Wise?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Your question is really good, I was wondering this myself.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by bitterproffit

Trust me, I don’t have much sympathy for a woman going into a backwards dictatorship with a history of violating human rights and acting like she was in a civilized democracy. It’s not like the UAE’s treatment of women isn’t well publicized. It would be like me visiting the UAE with my partner, getting a one bed hotel room, and being shocked at getting arrested for homosexual activity when everyone knows it’s punisha by the death penalty.

She he has learned not to act like you are in a civilized democracy whilst visiting a backwards despotic theocracy.
So going to the US, Europe or other socalled democracies without a valid visa what would they do?Typically put you on the first flight out to where you came from? What happens if you argue about that? You get put in detention until you can be dealt with. How is it any different to what has occurred in this case? Yes many countries have laws we dont agree with and sometimes it is best to avoid them but at least keep the conversation relevant.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's pretty clear this a just another of inflated, inaccurate and incomplete report [comment removed by moderator].

I've spent time in UAE, where I was able to live a perfectly normal life cluttered with the everyday sins of a western lifestyle. However I was aware that the freedoms I was allowed were conditional. I was expected to be discreet in my sinning, pay traffic fines on time, not write bad checks, and not cross any red lines - some of these not immediately apparent to visitors.

When a visitor causes trouble, crosses a red line, gets up an official's nose, or otherwise becomes undesirable then the authorities have a bewildering array of tools to evict or imprison him or her. Even voicing derogatory criticism of the country can get you in trouble ... and it seems possible that this was one of many offences this lady committed,

Perhaps she had had more han a single glass of wine. Who knows? But she was clearly belligerent and behaved stupidly.
Ryanardo_daVinci likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:48 am Reason: inappropriate comment per rules
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mr_moon
Why do Emirates serve alcohol on flights bound for Dubai if it is illegal to land in Dubai with alcohol in your blood? ...
My understanding is that it is illegal to be intoxicated in public. Alcohol in the blood can constitute intoxication.

But any weekend night there are floods of intoxicated folk enjoying Dubai's nightlife. It becomes a problem only if the intoxication is extreme, obvious, gets complained about and/or the authorities want to make it a problem.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sydtogla
I’m amazed half this board hasn’t ended up in the clink coming off flights into DXB.

There will always be details that we don’t know on these stories and imo something else has gone on here. Let’s not jump to conclusions about how the UAE treats men or women or tourists based on this one story.
Unfortunately, it’s not just this one story. It appears to happen so often that there is an NGO dedicated to providing resources to the victims, as evidenced in the article. And that was my point. It’s a pattern of mistreatment. Not sure why anyone is shocked that a despotic theocracy would act this way.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

again, why do people keep bringing up the US? This incident happened in Asia. Weird.
Getting into a so-called heated verbal altercation, while appearing drunk, against a US CBP employee over a matter of admission at a US airport of entry has sometimes resulted in arrest and detention behind bars for days and days. And as has becoming obvious to more, the US DHS does forcefully separate parents from young children at times and even hold them behind separate lock-ups. At least this mom at DXB was detained with her young daughter.

DXB passport control seems to be no worse than US passport control. The CBP, like some of its DXB equivalents, can be very hostile to being filmed by passengers.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:48 am

Unfortunately, it’s not just this one story. It appears to happen so often that there is an NGO dedicated to providing resources to the victims, as evidenced in the article. And that was my point. It’s a pattern of mistreatment. Not sure why anyone is shocked that a despotic theocracy would act this way.
Because the outcome that she experience is pretty much the outcome she would get anywhere, nothing to do with theocracy. She is not a victim she tried to enter UAE without a valid visa. She argued and tried to film the argument. It is standard around the world that this is not allowed. When you next take an international flight look around the passport control and you will see signs showing no cameras no matter which country you are in. It has nothing to do with alcohol apart from maybe badly affecting her judgement.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Because the outcome that she experience is pretty much the outcome she would get anywhere, nothing to do with theocracy. She is not a victim she tried to enter UAE without a valid visa. She argued and tried to film the argument. It is standard around the world that this is not allowed. When you next take an international flight look around the passport control and you will see signs showing no cameras no matter which country you are in. It has nothing to do with alcohol apart from maybe badly affecting her judgement.
And I disagree. She was jailed because she violated a law. According to her, she was jailed with her child and forced to clean toilets. No trial, no due process.

She was jailed for consuming alcohol that was provided by the state run airline. She didn't have any rights of recourse because she was a woman.

I am all for criticizing her behavior, I simply wonder why women and gays still visit knowing they don't have any rights.

Its always perfectly fine until it isn't...then it goes sideways fast.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:52 am
Suspended

Detention behind bars for those considered a high flight risk is standard governmental practice against many people in many foreign places when arrested for one or more criminal violations in a host country and waiting for a trial.

Do you know what a theocracy is? Dubai is not a despotic theocracy. It’s despotic in ways, but it’s no theocracy.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 11, 2018 at 6:59 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Getting into a so-called heated verbal altercation, while appearing drunk, against a US CBP employee over a matter of admission at a US airport of entry has sometimes resulted in arrest and detention behind bars for days and days. And as has becoming obvious to more, the US DHS does forcefully separate parents from young children at times and even hold them behind separate lock-ups. At least this mom at DXB was detained with her young daughter.

DXB passport control seems to be no worse than US passport control. The CBP, like some of its DXB equivalents, can be very hostile to being filmed by passengers.

But she isn't from the United States. And it didn't happen in the United States. And I never mentioned the United States. I mentioned a civilized democracy.

So, I am still completely confused why people keep responding about what would happen in the United States. How is that valid to my point?

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Do you know what a theocracy is? Dubai is not a despotic theocracy. It’s despotic in ways, but it’s no theocracy.
It is a federation of monarchies that uses a legal system based upon Islamic law.

If it quacks like a duck.....

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 12, 2018 at 9:51 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:32 am

And I disagree. She was jailed because she violated a law. According to her, she was jailed with her child and forced to clean toilets. No trial, no due process.

She was jailed for consuming alcohol that was provided by the state run airline. She didn't have any rights of recourse because she was a woman.

I am all for criticizing her behavior, I simply wonder why women and gays still visit knowing they don't have any rights.

Its always perfectly fine until it isn't...then it goes sideways fast.
She refused to leave the country. That gets you detention wherever you land. Alcohol is served throughout Dubai, it is not illegal to consume it. She could have avoided all of this by immediately returning to UK all the rest of the story is just sensationalism which you have bought into. When Canadians required a visa I had an employee who mistakenly believed he could get one on entry. He had to book himself to Bahrain. He was a man, difference is he dealt with it and didnt argue.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
bitterprofit does have a point regarding the fact that what would happen in the USA is irrelevant to this discussion, but replace US CBP with UK BF and screaming and filming at immigration would be just as bad.

What I would like to find out is why she apparently needed a visa, as it doesn't appear that she lives in the UAE. Under what circumstances would a tourist from the EU require a visa to visit the UAE?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

But she isn't from the United States. And it didn't happen in the United States. And I never mentioned the United States. I mentioned a civilized democracy.

So, I am still completely confused why people keep responding about what would happen in the United States. How is that valid to my point?
It doesn’t necessarily matter where she is from, but she’s not born yesterday. But given her and her own family history, she should have known better how things can go with passport control and other governmental types in a position to be little Napoleons of sort. It’s not unique to DXB or the region.

Knowing what goes on with passport control across different countries is relevant to her and to this kind of situation, as it puts things in perspective for those considering this situation without jumping onto some kind of xenophobic bandwagon or other questionable agenda. Being hostile with passport control authorities when of questionable admissibility and obstructing in the performance of passport control authorities duties and filming it against the rules isn’t a sure fire way of avoiding trouble. Not in the US, not in the UAE, not in the UK, not in Iran. Maybe in Sweden.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:53 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by :D!
bitterprofit does have a point regarding the fact that what would happen in the USA is irrelevant to this discussion, but replace US CBP with UK BF and screaming and filming at immigration would be just as bad.

What I would like to find out is why she apparently needed a visa, as it doesn't appear that she lives in the UAE. Under what circumstances would a tourist from the EU require a visa to visit the UAE?
She exceeded the 90 in 180-day limit for visa-free entry.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by l'etoile

She exceeded the 90 in 180-day limit for visa-free entry.
if she’s a working dentist in the UK, how does she have so much time to play tourist in Dubai so as to exceed that limit? Or was she also working illegally in the UAE?

Given she may also be an Iranian citizen — whether she claims it or not, Iranian citizenship can be hard for some to legally surrender — who knows if that was part of why she faced problems at DXB. While
DXB is still doing lots of business with Iran and Iranian nationals, encountering anti-Iranian Emiratis is part of the scene from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.