Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA's 'Quiet Storm' program uses FAMs to track and surveil domestic passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:26 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/news/na...a-quiet-skies/

Federal air marshals have begun following ordinary US citizens not suspected of a crime or on any terrorist watch list and collecting extensive information about their movements and behavior under a new domestic surveillance program that is drawing criticism from within the agency.

The previously undisclosed program, called “Quiet Skies,” specifically targets travelers who “are not under investigation by any agency and are not in the Terrorist Screening Data Base,” according to a Transportation Security Administration bulletin in March.

[...]

Already under Quiet Skies, thousands of unsuspecting Americans have been subjected to targeted airport and inflight surveillance, carried out by small teams of armed, undercover air marshals, government documents show. The teams document whether passengers fidget, use a computer, have a “jump” in their Adam’s apple or a “cold penetrating stare,” among other behaviors, according to the records.
The article lists a large number of "checkpoints" that "identify" potential terrorists. Here we go again with another unconstitutional surveillance program. My tagline continues to describe how passengers are treated in the USA simply because they wish to use airplanes for transportation.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:19 pm Reason: trimmed for respect to copyrights
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm currently finishing the Snowden movie and see this thread. How far we've come but stuck in the same place.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:50 am

Seventeen years and never having caught a terrorist, I guess TSA feels it has to try even harder to catch somebody doing something, like reversing direction while walking through an airport.

Who dreams up this nonsense!?!?!?

"Already under Quiet Skies, thousands of unsuspecting Americans have been subjected to targeted airport and inflight surveillance, carried out by small teams of armed, undercover air marshals, government documents show."

"All US citizens who enter the country are automatically screened for inclusion in Quiet Skies...."

Perhaps TSA needs name to add to their list of misbehaving passengers and believes this is a good way to do so.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 29, 2018 at 7:24 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA officials, in a written statement to the Globe, broadly defended the agency’s efforts to deter potential acts of terror. But the agency declined to discuss whether Quiet Skies has intercepted any threats, or even to confirm that the program exists. Release of such information “would make passengers less safe,” spokesman James Gregory said in the statement.
Typical TSA response. It always seems to make us less safe when TSA wants to hide embarrassing information.

Already under Quiet Skies, thousands of unsuspecting Americans have been subjected to targeted airport and inflight surveillance, carried out by small teams of armed, undercover air marshals, government documents show. The teams document whether passengers fidget, use a computer, have a “jump” in their Adam’s apple or a “cold penetrating stare,” among other behaviors, according to the records.

Air marshals note these observations — minute-by-minute — in two separate reports and send this information back to the TSA.
SPOT 2.0!

Did you scan the boarding area from afar?

Have a cold, penetrating stare?

Sleep on the plane? Use the bathroom? Talk to others?
Really?

TSA is always trying to expand its reach into our lives. Time for Congress to clip TSA's wings.
Spiff and altabello like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 29, 2018 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's time to break TSA down and start over. They no longer understand the Constitution - assuming they ever did in the first place.
Spiff, NY-FLA and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Typical TSA response. It always seems to make us less safe when TSA wants to hide embarrassing information.

SPOT 2.0!

Really?

TSA is always trying to expand its reach into our lives. Time for Congress to clip TSA's wings.
Guess the TSA didn't bother to read this, did they?

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...pot-terrorists

Actually, they did read it, ignored it and have now doubled down.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 29, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Wear a pair of glasses like these while walking through an airport. It will drive the FAMs nuts.

https://tinyurl.com/y8z9gdlu
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Wear a pair of glasses like these while walking through an airport. It will drive the FAMs nuts.

https://tinyurl.com/y8z9gdlu
That's a bad URL, is this what you are trying to display?

Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I take pity on the any person if they were assigned to watch me last week at JFK Terminal 2. I was all over the place. Probably ticked off all the boxes of behaviors to watch for just like during the SPOT program.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Put a finger to your ear like you're listening to someone then whisper in your sleeve or watch.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United

Just put one of these on your lapel. They are the latest fashion accessory.
Spiff, 84fiero, Kanis91 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
Such an asinine program!! Your welcome to watch me I'll be doing my own thing. I'll happily stare back at you from your first class seat.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:50 pm

That's probably a good way to get put on one of the real pain in the butt DHS lists. I was wrongly on one when DHS/TSA first was formed and let me tell you it's not fun and getting off of one once on is even harder. Got questioned about it during my GE, Nexus and other gov't background interviews.

Originally Posted by Kanis91
Such an asinine program!! Your welcome to watch me I'll be doing my own thing. I'll happily stare back at you from your first class seat.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Quoted from a recent NBC news story: "When asked how much this program costs each year, the TSA responded that releasing that information will make travelers unsafe." Hmmmm...just great.
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Quoted from a recent NBC news story: "When asked how much this program costs each year, the TSA responded that releasing that information will make travelers unsafe." Hmmmm...just great.
That same NBC news story also indicated that the program has been in existence since 2010 - however, I wonder if NBC got this mixed up with SPOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.