Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New Screening Measures and "Interviews" for Passengers on US Bound Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Screening Measures and "Interviews" for Passengers on US Bound Flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by nrr
Putting the sticker on pax forehead (instead of pp) should stay within the law.
How about not using the stickers at all.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Himeno
How about not using the stickers at all.
But the magic stickers are what keep us all s safe!
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
That's one of the reasons (the stupid pointless stickers) why I stopped flying west bound across the Atlantic.
Seriously? A sticker on your passport is that big of a deal for you?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:03 am

Extra security checks at boarding gate [TATL flights from UK]

not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but TSA have apparently asked airlines to carry out extra security checks on transatlantic passengers. At the gate, a long list of passenger names were read out and asked to come forward for additional security checking. Luckily I was not on the list but my other half was. Surprising as we are both Global Entry so I suspect it is a random check rather than a targeted check. it slowed down boarding as boarding did not commence until all the passengers had been checked.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
it sounds like another version of SSSS quite normal and been in place for years, but they normally just pull you aside on the BP scan
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:17 am

This was like SSS on steroids and it seemed to be happening to quite a few flights. The list of names announced on the tannoy must have been between 15-20 and they were all asked to come forward for checking.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On my last trip to the US, in October, I not only had the "SSSS" on my boarding pass (despite using an ESTA I'd used several times before) but was also subjected to forensic questioning at the check-in desk with regard to other trips I'd made recently, my favourite destination for a holiday, my hobbies and interests and what I did for a living. It was all carried out in a very friendly, chatty style but it was clearly much more.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Last week had SSSS printed on my boarding card and was screened despite being Global Entry and GGL - may be an interesting data point for others. My first time in many years at LHR
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was expecting something the other day on the 293 (to IAD) but saw nothing at all out of the ordinary. Not global entry and have gotten SSSS quite a few times over the past years (including ex-LHR and ex-AKL). Any possible reason for the discrepancies between flights?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
On my last trip to the US, in October, I not only had the "SSSS" on my boarding pass (despite using an ESTA I'd used several times before) but was also subjected to forensic questioning at the check-in desk with regard to other trips I'd made recently, my favourite destination for a holiday, my hobbies and interests and what I did for a living. It was all carried out in a very friendly, chatty style but it was clearly much more.
I had this on my way to JFK in September.
Also got stopped by U.S. customs for full inspection post-immigration, but was told that was a random check and not related to SSSS or additional screening.
All checks were executed with utmost of professionalism; and the U.S. customs man was actually very friendly and descriptive in everything he was doing.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
15-20 pax on a TATL widebody would not be out of the ordinary. Makes sense to call for those passengers in advance of boarding. As many of these as can be sorted rather than pulled out of the boarding line makes for a better boarding process and a better assurance that the aircraft closes and thus pushes as scheduled.

Some number of these are random and thus trying to reverse engineering as to prior travel, GE, and the like won't inform much going forward.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this is a generic issue and not confined to BA, we'll move it to our Travel Safety/Security forum where the practical experiences are likely to be of interest.

/mod
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Did the extra screening seem to apply any different standards to what you could bring on board than the LHR security screening does?

I.e. did people either seem at risk of having items taken away that they could bring on a different flight through LHR security, or having items obtained airside taken away?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As this is a generic issue and not confined to BA, we'll move it to our Travel Safety/Security forum where the practical experiences are likely to be of interest.

/mod
I've gone ahead and merged this discussion into an existing thread on this topic in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I spoke to a USA Airlines Station Manager a couple of months ago in the UK while I was checking in for a TATL flight on my way home to the USA, after I had SSSS printed out on my BP. He said they had been used to seeing 2 or 3 people on a flight get SSSS'd but now the number had increased to 20 to 30 s flight. He blamed it on the change in the US administration instructions to increase security screening on international flights to the USA. It does seem to be completely random because I have GE and also various other security clearance in the USA and yet I have gotten SSSS'd on two TATL flights this year. IMHO it is just more harassment of airline passengers and does not achieve much, if anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.