Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Drugs smuggled by airline from PHX to East Coast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I can't find anything in writing about this yet, but News 4 New York has just reported a drug bust wherein cocaine came in from Phoenix via commercial air travel in suitcases with false bottoms, often carry ons. Drugs arrived in NY via air and then were distributed across several states

TSA comment reported to be "we don't search for drugs"

If this isn't a TSA fail, I don't know what is.

ETA: I believe the report said that up to 7 kilos were smuggled as often as 3 times a week for the past year.

Last edited by petaluma1; Oct 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA doesn't and shouldn't search for drugs but they do search for anomalies. Seems bags as described should look odd on x-ray. Of course we've seen previous stories of such trafficking where TSA was part and parcel to the endeavor. Bets?

petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA doesn't and shouldn't search for drugs but they do search for anomalies. Seems bags as described should look odd on x-ray. Of course we've seen previous stories of such trafficking where TSA was part and parcel to the endeavor. Bets?
My first thought was how many explosives could be brought on board in false bottom suitcases.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
My first thought was how many explosives could be brought on board in false bottom suitcases.
Given TSA's multi year ~95% miss rate of test contraband I think that's a very fair question.

In my opinion way to much effort is expended looking for things that just aren't threats, not to mention where TSA is looking.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Police: 17 people charged in multi-state drug running ring

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/36...g-running-ring

Prosecutors announced that 17 people were indicted for allegedly smuggling cocaine from an airport in Phoenix, Arizona into John F. Kennedy Airport. Those drugs, they say, would then be resold in Queens, Nassau County, Chicago, Maine, Maryland and Virginia.
This appears to be related to the report by OP.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. My searches didn't pick that up.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yeah, they could sneaks explosives into the commercial aircraft. Nobody who being caught the criminals.

Wow! What a crazy world! This must stop! No one ever sneaks a drugs into the aircraft. TSA did not stop and they didn't have a search. Something isn't right. TSA screener should be fired or suspension from work.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Why would anyone risk flying domestic with large quantities of narcotics? Just load up your car and drive.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:37 am

TSA comment reported to be "we don't search for drugs"

If this isn't a TSA fail, I don't know what is.
Wait a minute.

TSA says "we don't search for drugs". They didn't find the drugs. How is that a failure?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Wait a minute.

TSA says "we don't search for drugs". They didn't find the drugs. How is that a failure?

TSA also did not find any anomalies in the drug smugglers bags.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:57 am

TSA also did not find any anomalies in the drug smugglers bags.
TSA did not find any weapons, explosives, or incendiaries in the bags.

For all we know, they found the hidden compartments, (correctly) determined that the items in the hidden compartments were not a threat to aviation, and allowed the bags to pass.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:12 am

For all we know, they found the hidden compartments, (correctly) determined that the items in the hidden compartments were not a threat to aviation, and allowed the bags to pass.
*snicker*... *snicker*... *snort*... BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Yeah right.

Corrolary to Hanlon's Law: When it comes to TSA, never ascribe to thoughtful intent what could equally be explained by stupidity.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

However, TSA claims that if it finds drugs it has to report them. Therefore, it seems to me 1. TSA never found the hidden compartments or 2. TSA screeners were complicit in allowing the bags through screening.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a TSA screener finds a suspected illegal item during screening of anomalies aren't they required to notify LEO's? I certainly thought that is the case.

So a TSA screeners finds a package of something in a hidden compartment of a suitcase and does nothing? Is that really the argument you want to make?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:41 pm

So a TSA screeners finds a package of something in a hidden compartment of a suitcase and does nothing? Is that really the argument you want to make?
Why assume that the hidden compartment is meant to hide the item from screeners? Maybe the passenger wants to hide things from the Notorious Airline Employees (TM) who we all cite as the bogeymen who steal stuff from our bags.

Yes, I'm all about Occam's Razor and Hanlon's Law; I cite them all the time.

A passenger tries to smuggle drugs in their luggage. If a TSA inspector finds the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for exceeding the scope of their authority. If a TSA inspector doesn't find the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for not searching thoroughly enough. I guess you can't win if you're TSA.

Oh, wait, this is TS/S. Never mind. As you were. I'm out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.