Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mass Transit Whole Body Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
As far as I can tell, hardly anybody rides it anyway.
There 104 stations on 6 lines. Did the article say how many stations are getting these things? Seems to me that if every station doesn't have one, then the whole exercise is a boondoggle.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
There 104 stations on 6 lines. Did the article say how many stations are getting these things? Seems to me that if every station doesn't have one, then the whole exercise is a boondoggle.
Almost like something TSA would dream up.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
As far as I can tell, hardly anybody rides it anyway.
Considering the the figure cited in the linked Wikipedia article for the Los Angeles MTA is for only one 17.4 miles long line, the Red line - the Purple line is a spur of the Red line - the figures are quite respectable. Only four US mass transit systems have more riders per mile than Los Angeles; NYC, NJ (PATH), Boston and Philadelphia.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

“We’re looking for explosive vests, we’re looking for assault rifles. We’re not necessarily looking for smaller weapons that don’t have the ability to inflict mass casualties.
A freakin' waste of money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/u...-scanners.html
Spiff and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
"The screening process is voluntary, Wiggins said, but customers who choose not to be screened won't be able to ride on the subway."
They keep using this word - I'm beginning to think they don't actually know what it means...
Yoshi212 and Spiff like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
They keep using this word - I'm beginning to think they don't actually know what it means...
They should just use the term "voluntold" not volunteered
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It started in a case where a local fire inspector wanted to check for code violations in an apartment building but the owner was not present to provide consent.
I think the other loop hole they use is the ticket purchase. All commercial airline tickets in the US have a security waiver that states that you agree to being screened. I don't think that trick is going to fly on mass-transit.Then again, it hasn't stopped them before.

Last edited by VelvetJones; Aug 19, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I think they other loop hole they use is the ticket purchase. All commercial airline tickets in the US have a security waiver that states that you agree to being screened. I don't think that trick is going to fly on mass-transit.Then again, it hasn't stopped them before.
Seems rather pointless since most of the metro is above ground and travels at grade anyway. An attacker doesn't need access to the platforms or inside the trains to make a mess of a train.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since TSA is involved in this boondoggle can I safely suspect that federal tax dollars paid for these machines? <redacted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 19, 2018 at 9:48 am Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:19 pm

Taking it another step further... What makes a subway so special? Is it the bottleneck of the toll styles that makes it easy to implement this sort of BS? A city bus would be just as easy and deadly target, yet no one has attacked one and any of this security theater for buses would be laughable at best. Ask yourself who benefits from this sort of nonsense. You'll find your answer very quickly.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taking it another step further... What makes a subway so special? Is it the bottleneck of the toll styles that makes it easy to implement this sort of BS? A city bus would be just as easy and deadly target, yet no one has attacked one and any of this security theater for buses would be laughable at best. Ask yourself who benefits from this sort of nonsense. You'll find your answer very quickly.
Local subways/light rail systems are closed loop. Any disruption would be localized and not a fatal event for a large group of people. Might tie up traffic or inconvenience people but is that really worth this kind of response?

Would be interested in the senior executives of the company making these devices and whose hands in government are being greased.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Yeah, and if you think about it, a subway or light rail train is merely a venue for attack, whereas a city bus is a potential weapon. Imagine the carnage that will result when one of those loons hijacks a city bus and drives it through a throng of people leaving a sporting event or concert in a crowded downtown district. Or when one of them hijacks a school bus and drives it through a crowd of kids being dismissed from school.

It's inevitable. It will happen eventually. The nutjobs have realized the deadly nature of cars and trucks and started using them for vehicular attacks in recent years. It's only a matter of time before a major vehicle attack occurs in the US, whether with a hijacked bus or a rented/stolen/borrowed truck. And the resulting public outrage will give TSA carte blanche in all transportation modes, not just aviation.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WillCAD
It's inevitable. It will happen eventually. The nutjobs have realized the deadly nature of cars and trucks and started using them for vehicular attacks in recent years. It's only a matter of time before a major vehicle attack occurs in the US, whether with a hijacked bus or a rented/stolen/borrowed truck. And the resulting public outrage will give TSA carte blanche in all transportation modes, not just aviation.
Already happened in OK City, many years ago.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by halls120
Already happened in OK City, many years ago.
That was a bomb, located inside a truck. The WTC bomb in 1993 was also in a truck. As was the bomb that took out the US Marine barracks in Beirut in, I think it was 1983.

A vehicle-based bomb isn't exactly the same as a vehicle attack. In a vehicle bomb attack, the vehicle is merely a delivery mechanism for the weapon, but in a vehicle attack, the vehicle itself is the weapon, running people down like a lawnmower. It's these attacks which are on the rise, and it's inevitable that one will take place using a hijacked municipal or school bus, or a stolen charter bus, or a stolen piece of construction equipment like a garbage or dump truck. Any of which would then cause another wave of panic through the US as people scream for tighter security on buses and trucks and other equipment.

I fear the extra costs that such panic would impose on businesses across the country after such an attack. Almost as much as the attack itself.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:44 am

And the resulting public outrage will give TSA carte blanche in all transportation modes, not just aviation.
TSA already asserts authority for all transportation modes.

I fear the extra costs that such panic would impose on businesses across the country after such an attack. Almost as much as the attack itself.
"Almost"? Surely the costs of post-9/11 stuff has cost orders of magnitude more than the damage itself, let alone if you include the subsequent wars.
Spiff and GUWonder like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.