Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Border Patrol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

John Oliver did an interesting piece on the Border Patrol and the problems with many of it's new hires in recent years. It confirms a lot of the suspicions that many of us have about the training and quality of candidates that make their way in the DHS ranks. While I don't care for Oliver's political rants or views, this does bring up an important issue.

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-...tonight-2017-8
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

The scariest statistic is that after they reinstated the polygraph requirement, 50% of the applicants that had passed the comprehensive background check then failed the polygraph. That seems alarmingly high. I'd be curious what the numbers are for other Federal LEO positions.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
The scariest statistic is that after they reinstated the polygraph requirement, 50% of the applicants that had passed the comprehensive background check then failed the polygraph. That seems alarmingly high. I'd be curious what the numbers are for other Federal LEO positions.
Does TSA polygraph its applicants? If not, they should.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
If they did there would be no TSA.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd be curious, too. CBP pulled in a lot of <deleted> during their last massive hiring push, so I believe caution is in order this time. Polygraphs have never been an exact science and applicants should be able to challenge or appeal the results.

I wonder if the polygraphs are being substituted for more costly and intensive background checks.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:47 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe I read a piece recently where CBP wants to lower the hiring standards of CBP employees. May have already happened.

Just a few links that show the problems within DHS/CBP. I have no reason to believe things are any different today and that would include all of DHS.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/u...er-bribes.html

The Enemy Within: Bribes Bore a Hole in the U.S. Border

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...9bb30f31a.html

Former McAllen DHS internal affairs head, agent, indicted in conspiracy

https://www.texasobserver.org/homela...border-patrol/

Want to run drugs, smuggle migrants and get away with it?
Join America’s biggest law enforcement agency.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If done correctly, a polygraph (CI or lifestyle) augments the background investigation. I lot of people, even rough & tumble customs agents, get spooked by all the technology and spill their guts. It's not the actual machine but a good examiner will start asking questions to get to the root cause of a "deception indicated (DI)" result. They do this for every single question that comes back as "DI". The value in the polygraph is the on-the-record Q&A that happens when trying to resolve a DI. So, all things considered, I'm not surprised at all about this statistic. "Failing" a polygraph means that one or more response remains DI.

Those who have a TS/SCI clearance are subject to a polygraph but are not routinely examined.

Originally Posted by chollie
I'd be curious, too. CBP pulled in a lot of <deleted> during their last massive hiring push, so I believe caution is in order this time. Polygraphs have never been an exact science and applicants should be able to challenge or appeal the results.

I wonder if the polygraphs are being substituted for more costly and intensive background checks.
See above. There are all the usual appeals if somebody gets their clearance pulled. Also, remember that anything you say to the examiner, while hooked up and when off-line, is admissible and is recorded.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I saw this piece and was surprised at the balance in the reporting. He eviscerated the lowered hiring standards and abbreviated training of the post-9/11 surge, while still remaining respectful of agents who do their job well, the agency itself, and it's mission.

CBP's TV spots and NASCAR sponsorship are in the same league - but with much more sophistication and higher budgets - as TSA's ads on pizza boxes and gas pumps.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If they did there would be no TSA.
Well then they really, really should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.