Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New Screening Procedures at US/Mex Border?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K

Hi All,

I crossed the border on Monday at the Otay Mesa MX to US crossing by car (CA plates Prius) with my girlfriend. We used the Ready Lanes since our car hasnt been approved to use the SENTRI lanes yet (4 months and counting!). Anyways, We were "randomly selected" for secondary screening, where our car was X-rayed and bags were inspected by hand. Nothing was found of course, but I'd never experienced that before, and I fly quite a bit in and out of the US. I'm usually waved through at airports via the GE line and at land borders usually just have my passport checked. This was the first time myself and my girlfriend traveled on our GE cards. I was looking around in the inspection area and saw that the other 6 to 7 cars that had California plates, and it seemed like the other people there we either traveling on passport cards, NEXSUS or SENTRI cards (they put a piece of paper on your windshield while you are in secondary). Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know if using your passport card/GE card means you'll be subject to additional screening? I thought the whole point of getting GE was to have less screening since you're a "trusted traveler." I know it really could have been random, but was definitely an experience I would not want to have again.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was a dog near your car just before being selected for random screening?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Nope, no dogs in view.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasongc87
Nope, no dogs in view.
May have been truly random or you may have been profiled. Maybe trafficers have started using Prius's as the vehicle of choice.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:47 pm

I thought the whole point of getting GE was to have less screening since you're a "trusted traveler."

You're assuming there's some rhyme or reason to their schemes and tactics.
There's none of that at the frontera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.