Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP TSA failing at 95% rate!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I have seen reports over the last couple of days stating that the screeners at MSP missed 17 out of 19 easily identifiable targets. Unless my math is bad that would only be a miss rate of 89%. Of course these are unconfirmed reports so can't be taken at face value.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
My recent experience, with four security checks in three countries, is that none of it is especially effective. Unintentionally, but repeatedly, I left one or another less-than-100-ml liquid container out of my 3-1-1 bag, just lying somewhere in the carry-on, and it wasn't noticed anywhere. Either they can't tell, or don't care.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by kochleffel
My recent experience, with four security checks in three countries, is that none of it is especially effective. Unintentionally, but repeatedly, I left one or another less-than-100-ml liquid container out of my 3-1-1 bag, just lying somewhere in the carry-on, and it wasn't noticed anywhere. Either they can't tell, or don't care.
In many Countries That Are Not the US or UK, I think the checkpoint staff realize it's just theatre and they don't get worked up about 30 mL of hand cream. Which is good.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
In many Countries That Are Not the US or UK, I think the checkpoint staff realize it's just theatre and they don't get worked up about 30 mL of hand cream. Which is good.
Very likely so. The first security check was in the US but they were too busy making everyone remove all electronics, not just laptops, to worry about those horrible, dangerous liquids.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Very likely so. The first security check was in the US but they were too busy making everyone remove all electronics, not just laptops, to worry about those horrible, dangerous liquids.
This is exactly why it is quite unlikely that TSA test scores will still be so high on the failures again. MSP was just the tip of the iceberg.

Screeners are looking for far too many small items to focus on the big prize - if it ever comes through a checkpoint.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is exactly why it is quite unlikely that TSA test scores will still be so high on the failures again. MSP was just the tip of the iceberg.

Screeners are looking for far too many small items to focus on the big prize - if it ever comes through a checkpoint.
The human mind will at times let you see what you want to see. I encountered this during my flying years in the Navy. You could scan instruments for hours, always thinking you were seeing what was being displayed but after repeated scans the mind starts playing tricks and lets you see what you want to see. We would test this by failing an instrument or gauge and seeing how long the operator would take to see the failure. I wouldn't be surprised if such is not the case with TSA screeners. Add in the problem of not really knowing what form or shape a threat item could take, looking for things which are harmless like water, and the opportunity for failure is almost guaranteed. Top off those problems with a workforce that just isn't interested, are poorly supervised and TSA is what you get.

High failure rates will continue until TSA recognizes that what it is doing isn't working. I would be willing to bet that TSA will continue pushing rope the same old way because TSA "corporate think" cannot envision new days of doing things.

The failure is circular. Bad processes leads to bad outcomes, wash and repeat.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 11, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.