Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Aviation Security Police

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
From the video I've seen - and based on the amount of time I've spent in fuselages - the thought that armed officers in altercations on fully boarded aircraft is a good idea is a peculiarly American form of insanity.
+1 ^
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I can't help but wonder what the UA personnel who summoned the cops told them. Did UA tell the cops that they needed an aggressive, belligerent pax removed? It's pretty clear that the cops didn't really take any time to assess the situation for themselves once they were on the scene.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: none
Don't we WANT aggressive, belligerent, or disruptive, passengers who pose a threat to safety to be removed from our planes? (Or is that not PC enough?) Should it be before, or after takeoff? By force if necessary?

You honest opinion on this question will dictate which side of the issue you support.

Is it possible to be in favor of airline security (i.e., against passengers who pose a threat), and also to be against the excessive use of force by LEO's?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by vincentharris
My question is will the safety of other officers be in jeopardy because after this whole affair there is not a chance in hell these officers will EVER be allowed to carry firearms? The ole the sins of a few will punish the whole group, few rotten apples spoil the bunch etc.
Just FYI, a lot of police and sheriff's unions represent people in the category of "Community Service Officers" and getting them to carry firearms is less a question of their or other's safety, but more a question of increasing representation and increasing the pool higher paying union members. The fight to get firearms in their hands has less to do with safety, and more with the police unions trying to thwart management from inventing newer, less trained, lower paid classes of police as cost cutting measures.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I can't help but wonder what the UA personnel who summoned the cops told them. Did UA tell the cops that they needed an aggressive, belligerent pax removed? It's pretty clear that the cops didn't really take any time to assess the situation for themselves once they were on the scene.
The video that I have seen starts late in the process. From listening to a passenger who took the video, the cops went to him twice to ask him to deplane and neither time did he move. Only on the third occasion did the cops use force at which time the passenger began flailing his arms (though not trying in particular to strike the cops).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The video that I have seen starts late in the process. From listening to a passenger who took the video, the cops went to him twice to ask him to deplane and neither time did he move. Only on the third occasion did the cops use force at which time the passenger began flailing his arms (though not trying in particular to strike the cops).
There is a video linked on the Daily Mail's website showing Dr. Dao talking to someone on the phone about suing United before telling the cops that he'd have to be dragged off and that he'd rather go to jail than removed from the flight.
Edited to add:

According to CNN, Dao and his wife initially volunteered to give up their seats only to renege after vacating their seats:
Backlash erupts after United passenger gets yanked off overbooked flight

Excerpt:
After passengers already boarded the plane, United said it needed to clear some seats because four members of another flight crew needed to sit down. If those crew members didn't get on board, a United spokeswoman said, their flight would have been canceled.

The man who ended up bloodied and screaming Sunday night had initially agreed to get off the plane, passenger Jayse Anspach said.

"Him and his wife, they volunteered initially," Anspach said. "But once they found out that the next flight wasn't until (Monday) at 2:30 p.m., he said, 'I can't do that. I gotta be at work.' So he sat back down."

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 13, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This makes me even more surprised at Munoz's first two responses. He could have defended his own people and blamed it all on the airport police and their rough handling.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL - Plat, SPG - Plat, AA, UA, Marriott
Actually, the Aviation Security Officers are NOT police but a security force.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/aft...port-policies/
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Don't we WANT aggressive, belligerent, or disruptive, passengers who pose a threat to safety to be removed from our planes? (Or is that not PC enough?) Should it be before, or after takeoff? By force if necessary?

You honest opinion on this question will dictate which side of the issue you support.

Is it possible to be in favor of airline security (i.e., against passengers who pose a threat), and also to be against the excessive use of force by LEO's?
I think you've asked the questions in the wrong order.

It is possible to be for airline security and against the use of excessive force. I want police to ask questions and listen to both the crew and pax before deciding whether the situation actually merits police involvement. Force should be the last resort, after all other options have been tried and failed. It's not acceptable to zip straight to force because you want the aircraft to get out on time. If the Chicago security had asked more questions, including maybe challenging the airline's claim the that passenger sitting quietly in his seat was belligerent, might have been a very different outcome.

But there is an area where it might be appropriate to involve LEO's more often.

Fly much and becomes crystal clear that many belligerent passengers are not only tolerated by the airlines but also fueled to further misbehavior - how many here have seen an FA keep serving booze to somebody obviously drunk already? Or seen GA's board pax reeking of booze and stumbling down the jetway? Anybody know the stats for diversions to deal with drunk and disorderly pax versus diversions for any other reason? Last time I saw the stats, drunks were the #1 category of air rage problems, too. I'd like to see the obviously drunk removed from the aircraft before take-off, and if the crew is scared to do it, that's a place where I see LEO as appropriate.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
A cop with a sidearm who leans into a window seat to grapple, both-handedly, with a Dr. Dao is a sitting duck to have the weapon fished out of its holster by someone inches away.
If the LEO has a proper holster, that will never happen.....

Originally Posted by BearX220
Shooting a hole in the fuselage will likely result in the delay or cancellation of your flight.
You watch too many movies.....

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Anyways to jump back to the original point of this post I just wanted to point out the fact that lots of people think these folks were security guards when in fact they are fully certified police officers.
That don't carry weapons and have a limited amount of authority.

Huge difference btwn them CPD.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 29, 2017 at 8:57 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old May 3, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
That don't carry weapons and have a limited amount of authority.
Sounds like they have more authority than the Massport Aviation Officers at least, who don't carry firearm but are required to be Special State Police Officers* (SSPOs, It's a Mass thing), even though their job is to sit at the Logan airfield gates, inspect the vehicles entering the AOA and make sure the airport ID is valid. Pretty nice paycheck, I might add.

But then again, Logan is weird microcosm of LEO jurisdictions. For example, the Mass State Police has a entire State Police troop (Troop F) dedicated to Logan (and Massport in general) by state law. Their current barracks (the old barracks were in Terminal C) are across the street from the Airport T station, where from time to time, you'll see an MBTA Transit Police cruiser parked. And on the other side of T station is the Bremen Street Park, which has a Massport Police Department (who are SSPOs but are allowed firearms) substation in the bathhouse. And once you exit that park on the sidewalk in East Boston, it's Boston Police jurisdiction, as Boston Police is not allowed by state law to exercise authority on Massport property. (Which has led to some turf warring between BPD and MSP over the Massport-owned Seaport District now that it's been built up)

*SSPOs are a unique class. The majority of them are campus police for any college or university (public or private) that has a police force. Plus, hospitals and soldiers' home. Plus, the Massport PD. And, the animal and child cruelty societies. Lastly, the state lottery commission among others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.