Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizens Denied Entry to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Citizens Denied Entry to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wouldn't they make you pick one or the other at the age of majority like other countries (eg Japan) do?
Dual citizenship is common all over. What one country has as a law doesn't matter to the other country. The Indian government considers her Indian, the Canadian government considers her Canadian. It's not like people have to go the UN or something and declare for one country or the other.

There are far more dual citizens out there then most people realize. Even 2nd and 3rd generation kids often get a passport from their grandparent's or even great grandparent's country(ies). There are quite a few tri-citizens floating around.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:19 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Our opinions are as relevant as hers. She isn't a US citizen. She doesn't have a right to enter the US. It's entirely reasonable that the reason is linked to her prior immigration issue and not her race or religion.

Canada and the US may have a special relationship, but that doesn't always extend to citizens at the border. Canada has a reputation here in America, too, for having unreasonably cautious immigration agents. Should I feel bad that the US treats Canadians in the same manner?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wouldn't they make you pick one or the other at the age of majority like other countries (eg Japan) do?
Yes, at or within a period of time after reaching the age of majority. But the proverbial devil is in the details. There are some circumstances where it's not possible to surrender the non-Indian citizenship and then it may be a matter of whether or not the Indian Government wants to take up a case and risk losing by being given a legal precedent that undermines the power of the government over those with Indian citizenship or making a claim to Indian citizenship.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:29 pm

There's still plenty of people willing to get those intrusive patdowns and endure the humiliating behaviour of tsa and cbp to go to the usa. Some will endure/tolerate anything to go there. So these types of news won't have much affect on their policies towards all people. cbp/tsa does not even spare their own citizens alot of the times.

Only thing is few people who will change their plans and won't go there. But that number is too small to affect their tourism/financials/numbers so they won't care. We're lucky our airport workers are not like that(atleast not yet)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:09 pm

People are very quick to pull the race card.

I worked in a government office for awhile and heard it constantly. The funny thing was that of the roughly 10 people in the office, one white guy was married to an asian, one white lady was married to a black guy, and one indian girl was married to a white guy (actually met in the office, and one was in the process of transferring out)...

There can be many reasons that the girl was stopped. And very often the different parts of the government don't communicate well with each other and sometimes employees don't know the right rules, use the wrong terms, etc, etc.

It's not always as simple as "A brown girl went down with 2 white girls and got stopped...while the white girls didn't..."

*racism alert*

*trump strikes again*
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by cdn1
There's still plenty of people willing to get those intrusive patdowns and endure the humiliating behaviour of tsa and cbp to go to the usa.
TSA screeners do not work at foreign airports. So you don't have to deal with them until you arrive in the US and have another flight.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexteacher
People are very quick to pull the race card.

I worked in a government office for awhile and heard it constantly. The funny thing was that of the roughly 10 people in the office, one white guy was married to an asian, one white lady was married to a black guy, and one indian girl was married to a white guy (actually met in the office, and one was in the process of transferring out)...
People are also quick to dismiss actual racism by claiming others are quick to "pull the race card", and it's often but an effort to try to neutralize an acknowledgement that racism may have taken place and/or because they find it convenient to have racism of some sorts. The more likely someone supports racist profiling, the more likely the person is to try to mock claims of racism by whining about the "race card". How convenient, right?

Just because a person is in an interethnic/interracial relationship doesn't mean the person is not bigoted even against people of the same ethnic background as themselves or as their spouse. People can even be racist against people of the same ethnic/national background as one or both of their biological parents -- something that can be witnessed at airports of entry in various parts of the world.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
TSA screeners do not work at foreign airports. So you don't have to deal with them until you arrive in the US and have another flight.
Most people who fly to the US will also be flying from a US airport at some point after arrival at a US airport of entry. So the persons will probably have to deal with the TSA screeners and these more intimate gropes at that point.

The TSA does do some work at foreign airports, even as it's not as the non-US airport's passenger checkpoint screeners. The TSA has paid for some TSA employees to go overseas and do work for the TSA -- and I'm not talking about just FAMs.

TSA "international programs" and TSA "global strategies" shows the TSA isn't content to have an expenditure history with zero dollars of international travel for its employees. It is to be seen if the TSA tries to get the airline/airport/contractor screeners at non-US airports to do a bunch of these "standard" gropes too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 9, 2017 at 10:28 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
People are also quick to dismiss actual racism by claiming others are quick to "pull the race card", and it's often but an effort to try to neutralize an acknowledgement that racism may have taken place and/or because they find it convenient to have racism of some sorts. The more likely someone supports racist profiling, the more likely the person is to try to mock claims of racism by whining about the "race card". How convenient, right?
Sure, and sometimes it's just the race card or a misunderstanding.

Just because a person is in an interethnic/interracial relationship doesn't mean the person is not bigoted even against people of the same ethnic background as themselves or as their spouse. People can even be racist against people of the same ethnic/national background as one or both of their biological parents -- something that can be witnessed at airports of entry in various parts of the world.
If people date and marry outside their race, they are probably less racist. What you are saying above is true as well.

I'm a white guy who was married to an Asian...and came to learn that she despised whites. Some just bury it deeper than others.

So, in a nutshell, it can all be as complex as you make it out to (possibly) be or as simple as I'm stating that it sometimes is.

Sometimes, people think it's about race, and it's not.

The people that denied the lady entry into the USA and have access to the internal computers and what's written inside them have a way better idea than you, me, or even the lady what it's all about...but it's unlikely that they will ever disclose it to the rest of us.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Too one sided to know what went down.

Maybe she was previously denied. Maybe her friends were going to vacation with her and returning immediately afterwards but her plans were a combo leisure/business trip and she's staying several days longer under a NAFTA category except she didn't bring the paperwork needed to be admitted under NAFTA.

I don't know if CBP officer were prejudicial or not. Maybe they were but I do know whoever wrote the article is spinning it as as racism without know what went down.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Too one sided to know what went down.

Maybe she was previously denied. Maybe her friends were going to vacation with her and returning immediately afterwards but her plans were a combo leisure/business trip and she's staying several days longer under a NAFTA category except she didn't bring the paperwork needed to be admitted under NAFTA.

I don't know if CBP officer were prejudicial or not. Maybe they were but I do know whoever wrote the article is spinning it as as racism without know what went down.
I would have thought that if this individual was in the wrong; then the "responsible" Canadian press would have acknowledged that. Reading the article that I alluded to in my first post; I would come to the conclusion that she was in the right and the CBP officer was in the wrong.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
The Indian government considers her Indian, the Canadian government considers her Canadian.
It's not about any country or most countries, it is specifically about India not permitting their citizens to hold other citizenships. Yes, there is an exception for those who obtained other citizenship involuntarily; however, I really doubt that it applies to her. Her parents had already lived in Canada for some 20 years before she was born, so I don't think either of them was still an Indian citizen at the time of her birth.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even as India has a constitutional prohibition against Indian citizens holding dual-citizenship, for minors born outside India to Indian citizen parents that Indian constitutional prohibition isn't necessarily applicable.

In other words, some Canadian-born persons with Indian citizen parents have been Indian passport holders. And I am not talking about just the children of Indian diplomats accredited to Canada.
Can you provide further details about how this is possible?

The Indian consulates in Canada surely know that everyone born in Canada except the children of Indian diplomats is a Canadian citizen.

Would they still issue an Indian passport to a child born in Canada to parents who are Indian citizens?

Originally Posted by König
Her parents had already lived in Canada for some 20 years before she was born, so I don't think either of them was still an Indian citizen at the time of her birth.
People can live in a foreign country for more than 20 years without intending to apply for its citizenship, particularly if it would mean having to give up their existing citizenship. Other people of course can't wait to get rid of their existing citizenship, but I think it is not wise to assume one or the other when it comes to Indian citizenship.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
Can you provide further details about how this is possible?
Minors in many countries can't surrender a citizenship into which they are born, and in many cases even their parents can't make their minor citizens surrender a citizenship into which they are born.

It's of doubtful legality for the Indian government to force minors to give up Indian citizenship into which such children are born or to even allow for parents to waive the right to/of Indian citizenship for young minors.

Originally Posted by :D!
Would they still issue an Indian passport to a child born in Canada to parents who are Indian citizens?
For young minors born in the US and Canada, they used to rather frequently. Other times, they would make a fuss over it. The Indian Union Law, Home and External Affairs Ministries haven't been entirely consistent but there has been an Indian legal procedure for foreign-born children of Indian citizens to have Indian citizenship despite being born in a jus soli country.

Originally Posted by König
It's not about any country or most countries, it is specifically about India not permitting their citizens to hold other citizenships. Yes, there is an exception for those who obtained other citizenship involuntarily; however, I really doubt that it applies to her. Her parents had already lived in Canada for some 20 years before she was born, so I don't think either of them was still an Indian citizen at the time of her birth.
I wouldn't assume things either way about one or both of her parents unless and until reading about their status and history. I know lots of Indian citizens who have had US and/or Canadian legal permanent residence status for 20 or more years. Some of them still aren't naturalized citizens of these North American countries even after their North American-born children have reached 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years of age. Given the US' claws in its citizens even abroad -- and it's not just limited to tax-related requirements -- US citizenship comes with liabilities that Indian citizenship doesn't have; and many Indian citizens who moved for school or work abroad have done so with the intention of eventually returning to Indian, whether or not before reaching retirement.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
People turned away at the border-is it a trend?;or such incidents are reported more?

See this bbc world news article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39187846

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.