Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Perhaps this following story indicates TSA's concern over women's genitals. I wouldn't put it past TSA to suspect contraband being hidden.

Cracking Down on Contraband
How, pray tell, do they intend to enforce this?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

Perhaps this following story indicates TSA's concern over women's genitals. I wouldn't put it past TSA to suspect contraband being hidden.

Cracking Down on Contraband
I just came across that article and was going to post it here. It certainly explains the two incidents in BOS recently where women were made to remove their pads. However, the article I read reported this:

When prisons have attempted to control tampon use in the past, courts have found the practice to be illegal. In March 2017, private prison operator CoreCivic reached an agreement with women who filed suit after a CoreCivic prison in Tennessee ordered them to remove their tampons or sanitary pads to prove they were menstruating and not trying to smuggle in contraband, according to the Associated Press.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stat...163053562.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Department spokeswoman Lisa Kinney told the Times-Dispatch that visitors must go through a body scanner upon their arrival. Anyone shown to be using an offending feminine hygiene product must either agree to a strip search and have the item removed, or be sent home without seeing an inmate.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stat...163053562.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

We realize that there is a very fine line between what is appropriate for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum and what belongs in OMNI/PR, and it has just been crossed.

Please confine your comments here to security policies, what they are and what they should be. Discussion of congressional action or inaction, elections and consequences do not belong here.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Future off topic messages will be summarily deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by chollie
This.

There is ample evidence that TSOs across the country target black women's hair.

Not big hairdos and extensions or buns that might conceal something, regardless of the traveler's race or color.

No. A black woman with hair half-an-inch long will get nasty blue-gloved hands rubbed over her head even when her scalp is clearly visible.

Meanwhile, a white woman with a chignon that's built on a piece of hardware or three pounds of extensions will walk through unchallenged.

Maybe this is part of the 'cognitive' failing that TSA has apparently observed in screeners. That was supposedly why they would routinely run their hands over exposed bare skin - because it's too challenging and confusing to skip the entirely unnecessary skin contact.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard - and if I were a screener, I would be pissed that my own HQ was suggesting I was that incapable.
And they will go into my hair (blonde white girl, hair straightened beyond straight with a flat iron for travel) almost every single time. I am pretty sure it is because I am in a wheelchair, so they have me in the "long-form" pat-down anyway, so might as well practice everything there is to do (place your hands inside my top and feel my triangle bra (for those who don't know, that means it's two triangle shaped lace handkerchiefs -- no wires, no padding -- held together by bits of lace and satin straps); shove your hands into the waistband of my slacks or jeans, feel all the way up into my crotch area, and oh, why not check out the oh so dangerous sleek blonde hair?) to humiliate someone who just wants to catch a flight? Is it any wonder I head for the lounge and try to control my shaking each and every time afterward?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Except that at 1:12 in the video, it clearly shows a female doing the pat down between the belt and legs - a sliding motion, with the back of both hands... And then again at 1:25, followed by the upper inner thigh pat-down.
I see contact with the buttocks and the legs. Nothing with the front.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ETD (maybe ETD only detects hand lotions and not real explosives) should detect pancake explosives. I asked but didn't receive a response if ETD would detect the chemicals used in detonators. Regardless without both components about the worst you would have is a fuel source for a hot fire.

It's a real shame that ETD testers as used by TSA are near worthless since they primarily false alarm on non-explosive materials.

A short primer on detonators:

Detonator
Except only a small fraction of passengers get ETD tested. Pancake explosives in the absence of anything else that would cause an alarm would have a low detection chance.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
TSA? They won't go that far yet, but as already reported are paying increased attention to crotches, womens crotches in particular. Side handed chops between the legs are done to see if any thing is placed there, at least that's my guess. Items internally secreted, I'm not sure TSA wants to go there just yet. But if you see these things showing up all bets are off. Body Orfice Scanner
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's all that I saw also & commented to that effect the day the comment was posted.
​​​​
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
Right or wrong the machines are now all driven by machine learning algorithms that look at what is "normal" vs "not normal". Any attire, headdress, or other thing that is not "normal" is more likely to flag. Perhaps most people don't travel in yoga pants so this is more likely to fag.
I certainly hope the yoga pants don't burn!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
Being nude would almost certainly cause it to trigger because it would be highly anomalous to a regular scan. Don't conflate whether it makes "sense" (it is hard to conceal something under skin-tight clothing) versus how the computer decides whether or not to flag someone. Perhaps they do need to do work to reduce flags from skin-tight clothing if this is indeed an endemic issue, but I doubt this is an intentional design consideration.
Second this. This is almost certainly a case of simply failing to test their system against such attire.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
That's all that I saw also & commented to that effect the day the comment was posted.
​​​​

TSA is all about deflection, traveler states observed facts, deflect with some ginned up video. Talk about screening nuns and deflect with Nigerian plots and Boko Haram, wash, rinse and repeat. A tactic observed across all of TSA.
petaluma1 likes this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:19 am Reason: edited for clarity
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: TSA
Why is there a preponderance of alarms on the "groin" area, no matter what passengers are wearing? If movement triggers an alarm, why not on the knee or the back? Why always on the genital area?
I have not seen that in practice, nor have I seen anything from the agency indicating that this is the case. It may simply be that more people complain about having the groin area cleared, than other areas - the machines alarm far more often on arms and wrists than the groin area in my experience.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I can not help what you are seeing, but I will tell you what is actually happening at those times mentioned above - the TSO is patting down the front of the body, commonly referred to as the groin area. If you do not see what is actually happening, then I am at an impasse at how to communicate with you.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Why is there a preponderance of alarms on the "groin" area, no matter what passengers are wearing? If movement triggers an alarm, why not on the knee or the back? Why always on the genital area?
The strip search machines alarm far more on the groin area than elsewhere beside one or two upper limbs for people who would clear an WTMD set to alarm for metal and nothing else. Keep in mind that the massive roll out of strip search machines at airports were done using underwear bombers as the threat. Before that, the machines were way less common and the airport ones were less likely to alarm on groin areas than now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.