Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Will ‘Significantly Reduce’ Access to Precheck Lanes for Non-Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Will ‘Significantly Reduce’ Access to Precheck Lanes for Non-Members

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Free pre-check needs to be 100% eliminated. There are already too many clueless people in the pre-check line. When everyone in the pre-check line knows what they are doing you can be through in a matter of seconds. It only takes one moron to screw it up.

Agree 100%

WPCBPC

Last edited by TWA884; May 13, 2018 at 4:30 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old May 11, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to move this over to the TS/S Forum. Please continue the discussion/debate there.
Thanks,,
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 11, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by audidudi
And for the cost of $85 for five years, I don't know why anyone would still take a chance on getting free Pre-Check anyway!

And for $15 more, Global Entry is a steal.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:25 am

Free pre-check needs to be 100% eliminated. There are already too many clueless people in the pre-check line. When everyone in the pre-check line knows what they are doing you can be through in a matter of seconds. It only takes one moron to screw it up.
Totally not empty quoting this.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:00 pm

My Dad told me that he often gets Precheck. He's never signed up for it. I now have Global Entry/Precheck, but I do not recall ever getting Precheck before that.

Originally Posted by apodo77
My significant other does not have Pre Check and I have GE.
When she is on my PNR she always gets Pre Check with me.
Is this normal? I am flying with a friend soon. He does not have Precheck. I was thinking about this and wondering if he would get Precheck too. Our tickets are on the same PNR. I guess we'll find out!
Old May 11, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g289t
My Dad told me that he often gets Precheck. He's never signed up for it. I now have Global Entry/Precheck, but I do not recall ever getting Precheck before that.

Is this normal? I am flying with a friend soon. He does not have Precheck. I was thinking about this and wondering if he would get Precheck too. Our tickets are on the same PNR. I guess we'll find out!
No way that I know of to tell until the ticket is issued. If your friend doesn't get Pre will you go through regular screening to keep them company?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The couple behind me were going to take off their shoes, until I stopped them. I told them to leave on their light jackets and keep their tablets and liquids in the bag. They had no idea that would be possible.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audidudi
Why didn't your Dad and Mom swap bags, if she indeed had her own, and thus he could have avoided the unpacking? She would only have had to put his on the conveyor belt! Strange!

And for the cost of $85 for five years, I don't know why anyone would still take a chance on getting free Pre-Check anyway!
$170 for a couple to buy something that may or may not be offered at any given airport, day, or time.

Just say NO to TSA !
Spiff, Loren Pechtel and petaluma1 like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:38 am

TSA can't get people buy into PreCheck. To make it work, they need 25 million but have only about 6 million. That’s why they are advertising so heavily as well as giving it away. Work=eliminate TSA employees. Pre is NOT about safety, it’s about reducing the work force.

Recall the long lines of spring 2016? They were caused because TSA laid screeners off (or more likely didn't replace screeners who quit) in anticipation of a tremendous increase in PreCheck enrollment. It didn't happen and TSA was caught short.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
Free pre-check needs to be massively expanded, it's absurd for people to be subjected to useless "security" theater just so some connected cronies can make a bunch of money selling dangerous wave scanners
If that happens, they'd better pair it with an expansion of precheck lanes to handle the already congested checkpoints.

I'd prefer that Precheck-style screening becomes the "normal", and individuals are selected either randomly or because of some legitimate factor to undergo an enhanced screening similar to today's "normal".

And while they're at it, throw out those damn automated bin lanes at ATL.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
If that happens, they'd better pair it with an expansion of precheck lanes to handle the already congested checkpoints.

I'd prefer that Precheck-style screening becomes the "normal", and individuals are selected either randomly or because of some legitimate factor to undergo an enhanced screening similar to today's "normal".

And while they're at it, throw out those damn automated bin lanes at ATL.
If TSA could grow Pre to 25 million travelers wouldn't Pre lanes need to be expanded to support that volume?

Pre style screening should be default increasing screening level upon alarm. All of the other TSA BS is just that and should be ended. TSA is more about make work than anything else Security is clearly not Job #1 !
Spiff likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If TSA could grow Pre to 25 million travelers wouldn't Pre lanes need to be expanded to support that volume?

Pre style screening should be default increasing screening level upon alarm. All of the other TSA BS is just that and should be ended. TSA is more about make work than anything else Security is clearly not Job #1 !
Not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing, but this is exactly what I was saying. I just worded it poorly as I wasn't entirely awake this morning.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing, but this is exactly what I was saying. I just worded it poorly as I wasn't entirely awake this morning.
Just commenting that with TSA's plan to enroll 25 million in Pre not expanding was not an option. TSA has fallen very short of that 25 million goal so Pre should either be terminated or modified. I believe modification of the entire passenger screening process is the right direction to proceed. ID checks should be suspended, they serve no valid security purpose as done by TSA. Anyone can check to see if a person has a boarding pass, should not be a TSA function. Personal effects screening should be change to end taking out 3.1.1 liquids. Traveler screening should start with WTMD or WBI for those with implants. Alarm and step up the screening to HHMD/ETD, and only do a pat down as a last resort. TSA should not have authority to prevent a person from entering the sterile zone without a law enforcement referral.
Spiff, iluv2fly and gooselee like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:22 pm

This article indictes that TSA has cut in half the goal of getting 25 million people enrolled in PreCheck:

https://tinyurl.com/y9sy7d54

The program begun in 2011 has 6.4 million participants and millions more that participate from other programs such as the international Global Entry. But TSA would like to at least double its numbers, an effort endorsed by lawmakers and travel groups.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This article indictes that TSA has cut in half the goal of getting 25 million people enrolled in PreCheck:

https://tinyurl.com/y9sy7d54
Only thing surprising about this is that TSA has acknowledge another TSA failure.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.