Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Will ‘Significantly Reduce’ Access to Precheck Lanes for Non-Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Will ‘Significantly Reduce’ Access to Precheck Lanes for Non-Members

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
I try to give 'clueless' Pre folks in front of the me the benefit of a doubt.
I don't.

I got to the x-ray belt in PHX a couple months ago, and there were a bunch of people standing around emptying their bags.

I saw a gap at the front (there were no bags going through the x-ray machine, and the first person in line wasn't ready to push theirs through), walked up, dropped my bag into the machine, walked through the metal detector, picked up my bag, and left.

I don't think person I had cut in front of had pushed their bag through yet.

Even when they're not clueless, I've seen a single parent traveling with a small child have to deal with a stroller and other baby-things at SFO a couple times. I just walk right past them. Though I should clarify they were not struggling (otherwise I would have offered to help), it just takes a while to pack/unpack everything that needs to go through.

But by the time I scan my boarding pass, my bag is ready for the x-ray, and my body is ready for the metal detector. If the people in front of me are not ready, I'm not waiting.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
On Twitter last week, I was told by TSA that the TSA is "working on this". I had complained via Twitter in response to one of the usual TSA advertisements that the wait times in PreCheck have increased due to a) the new patdowns and b) the non-registered people using the line. TSA argued that overall, it's still faster. I disagree. Right now, it's about 50-50 when you throw in the slowdowns thanks to the new patdowns and extensive bag checks and the inexperienced/non-registered travelers in the PreCheck line.
I could, of course, be wrong but I thought when TSA announced the new sexual assault procedures, they said it was not going to increase wait times.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I was told by some in DHS and outside that airports with increased sniffer dog presence were told they would see a decrease in screening delays/wait times for those in line. It did hold up as being true at ORD at least. But there was no clear answer from them on whether the dog use meant PreCheck lines -- at say ORD -- saw declined or increased use of the PreCheck lanes by those who aren't paid DHS program members.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was told by some in DHS and outside that airports with increased sniffer dog presence were told they would see a decrease in screening delays/wait times for those in line. It did hold up as being true at ORD at least. But there was no clear answer from them on whether the dog use meant PreCheck lines -- at say ORD -- saw declined or increased use of the PreCheck lanes by those who aren't paid DHS program members.
There have been a couple of complaints on @TSA in the last few days that Pre and regular lines have had to merge to walk by a dog and that the lines were very slow. Why are Pre flyers having to pass by a dog? I thought they were "trusted" travelers.

chaos at RDU. Precheck and normal lane start separate and merge together all to pass the dog. Get another dog!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
My companion on the same PNR was granted Pre last weekend for our two flights. So that part is still going on.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
According to complaints voiced at AskTSA, this has been happening for a long time. "PreCheck Light" card seems to mean only that you can keep your shoes on.
I thought it meant you can keep your hat on.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Traveled with my 66 year old mom and got Pre both ways, neither of us are in the program. My BoA card covers Global Entry so was thinking about applying.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Non-DHS program members on my same PNR are now almost always getting PreCheck along with me. This has become way more consistent for my travel party members on my PNR than it used to be a few years back.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by calwatch
Traveled with my 66 year old mom and got Pre both ways, neither of us are in the program. My BoA card covers Global Entry so was thinking about applying.
A review of the complaints about the length of Pre lines on @TSA shows it's being given away to everyone.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A review of the complaints about the length of Pre lines on @TSA shows it's being given away to everyone.
If TSA is going to have Pre I think they will have to give it away. Not enough people have bought into TSA's con to make it stand on its on.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If TSA is going to have Pre I think they will have to give it away. Not enough people have bought into TSA's con to make it stand on its on.
Correct.

TSA needs 25 million people enrolled to make the program work as intended, i.e., allow for a reduction in work force.* Fewer than 6 million are in the program, even less have enrolled if other TT programs are taken out of the 6 million. It seems very unlikely that the goal of 25 million participants will ever be reached.

*If you recall the long lines from the spring of 2016, those lines were caused because TSA had already reduced its workforce believing that passengers would flock to PreCheck. It didn't happen and it's not going to happen.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:25 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
I've never "joined" TSA PreCheck program; have participated in PreCheck lanes via the original FF list from the airline (Delta) since that all started way back in historical (pre-assault) days. I've gotten PreCheck designation on average 90 - 95% of the time (the TSA's "randomness" process apparently requires me to not be so designated every so often).

However, my last two consecutive trips have been free of PreCheck designation. So perhaps I'm now on the "uh-uh-uh -- you didn't sign up for our 'program'" list. Will see how this goes.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:26 am

"Security Protocol"

Complaints abound about PreCheck lanes being closed so often. Such situations probably bring the most complaints, over all, to the TSA twitter page. Apparently, TSA has devised a new excuse now for this which is being promulgated by CVG:

@TSA periodically invokes a security protocol where PreCheck is closed and customers are required to queue along one route before screening.
Is it a "security protocol" or is it due to not enough screeners showing up for work on a particular shift?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Complaints abound about PreCheck lanes being closed so often. Such situations probably bring the most complaints, over all, to the TSA twitter page. Apparently, TSA has devised a new excuse now for this which is being promulgated by CVG:

Is it a "security protocol" or is it due to not enough screeners showing up for work on a particular shift?
If TSA was a private business there would be lawsuits for Bait and Switch. TSA managers are in a situation where they know well in advance what the likely passenger load will be on any given day, right down to the hour, so not staffing checkpoints properly is most likely a TSA management failure. Of course there has been no program, or situation, that TSA hasn't managed to find a way to screw up, Pre Check is no different.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:42 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Complaints abound about PreCheck lanes being closed so often. Such situations probably bring the most complaints, over all, to the TSA twitter page. Apparently, TSA has devised a new excuse now for this which is being promulgated by CVG.{]
Well, if that is true, then the security checkpoint at EWR for gates 40 - 47 must have great need for this protocol because the precheck lane has been open only once during my travels through there during the past three years. Then again, it's EWR -- where no success has been achieved by TSA except making travelers unhappy.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.