Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which is why everyone who passes through a checkpoint should be screened in the same way --- airport workers, TSA employees, flight crews, and passengers alike. We certainly don't need to be creating *more* opportunities for contraband to enter the sterile area.
Agree. Just because an airline/airport/TSA employee was subjected to some level of background check at one time doesn't mean they should then be exempt from screening. If a passenger has been checked and approved for GE or Pre they still have to be screened every time, and so should employees.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
But what is the point? Why screen an FA for sharps when s/he has access to an axe on the plane?

Why waste millions in tax dollars to screen flight crews?
In case the FA from Jihad Airways uses their position to smuggle weapons in to be used on a different flight.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:56 pm

Whenever I think about the liquid ban, I think about TLV airport, maybe the only remaining international airport in the world that allows liquids through security...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by chollie
it's hard for me to imagine a flight crew member being in good standing with his/her employer but not allowed to participate in the KCM.
Not all airline companies are eligible and qualify to register for/participate in KCM. Almost all pilots of airline companies registered with KCM are eligible for KCM (some pilots might not be eligible to fly for disciplinary, medical or behavior reasons, among others).

Not all airline companies with flight attendants have complied with requirements for making their FAs eligible - therefore their FAs may not use the KCM checkpoints. And similar to pilots, some FAs might not be eligible to fly for disciplinary, medical or behavior reasons, among others).

"Good Standing" is an amorphous term in this context - some employees might be in no danger of being terminated or put on probation or other adverse action by the employer but the employer for a number of reasons might still not put the employee in the KCM database to allow use of the KCM checkpoint.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which is why everyone who passes through a checkpoint should be screened in the same way --- airport workers, TSA employees, flight crews, and passengers alike. We certainly don't need to be creating *more* opportunities for contraband to enter the sterile area.

Dang, we agree with each other! Marking my calendar.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Ditto
Whenever I think about the liquid ban, I think about TLV airport, maybe the only remaining international airport in the world that allows liquids through security...
There's quite a few in Africa that don't care either. In Livingstone (Zambia) you go through security before bag drop, so there's no difference between your checked bag and carry on, and nobody cares about liquids.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
Cuban airports don't care either - I've taken large bottles of rum (mmm...Cuban rum) in my carryon Hopefully that won't change now that they have flights to the US.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:07 pm

From my last flight (departing LGW): presented 2 cartons of juice as medical. Provided them w/ neurologist's letter, signed w/ contact phone #s, explaining juice is medically necessary for me. (This is required by EU law, but not by US law, so I do provide it in EU, but not in US.)

Response: "Can you show us some other documentation? Anyone could have written this." ><

I told him to feel free to call my neurologist to confirm, and explained that I do know the law, it is perfectly legal, he's welcome to screen it, and I've done it dozens of times. He eventually relented.

Still, it was a PITA and we were in a rush. (In airport wheelchair; traffic delays caused me to arrive later than desired; flight had theoretically started boarding.)

Anyone less aggressive & prepared than me would probably have backed down.

And all for a couple cartons of unopened, bog-standard Sainsbury's juice / smoothies no sane person would think is possibly WEI, which took them less than minute to screen once they agreed to screen it. Oy gevalt.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
From my last flight (departing LGW): presented 2 cartons of juice as medical. Provided them w/ neurologist's letter, signed w/ contact phone #s, explaining juice is medically necessary for me. (This is required by EU law, but not by US law, so I do provide it in EU, but not in US.)

Response: "Can you show us some other documentation? Anyone could have written this." ><

I told him to feel free to call my neurologist to confirm, and explained that I do know the law, it is perfectly legal, he's welcome to screen it, and I've done it dozens of times. He eventually relented.

Still, it was a PITA and we were in a rush. (In airport wheelchair; traffic delays caused me to arrive later than desired; flight had theoretically started boarding.)

Anyone less aggressive & prepared than me would probably have backed down.

And all for a couple cartons of unopened, bog-standard Sainsbury's juice / smoothies no sane person would think is possibly WEI, which took them less than minute to screen once they agreed to screen it. Oy gevalt.
Sounded like you were pretty close to the "practicing medicine without a license" speech.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Sounded like you were pretty close to the "practicing medicine without a license" speech.
More like "if you're accusing me of forgery, please call the cops; if not, STFU and screen it".

Made worse by the fact that I've been mute for about three days now. (Bad throat infection on top of the usual causes. Hurts to even swallow, let alone use my voice.)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow hard to believe. I took this picture at the security checkpoint in DEN in August, 2006:

And ten years later I'm still getting caught with my too big toothpaste or bottles of water I forget I've thrown in my bag
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And none of it dangerous.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
More people should give that speech TSA employees and private screeners. TSA employees have zero business trying to determine what amount of medical liquids a person should be allowed.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA also should not be in the business of deciding which non-liquid medicines are permitted and which are not. There is no acceptable reason, not even 'screener discretion', for confiscating a pax's nitro pills.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by chollie
TSA also should not be in the business of deciding which non-liquid medicines are permitted and which are not. There is no acceptable reason, not even 'screener discretion', for confiscating a pax's nitro pills.
When and where did this happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.