Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by caughtinthemiddle
why are flight crews allowed to go thru with liquids and no one blinks an eye
Because they also have access to axes, fire extinguishers, pure oxygen and, oh, I dunno, THE FLIGHT CONTROLS.

Security screening flight crews is the epitome of stupid.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The liquids ban won't be lifted because that would expose how pointless it was in the first place.
In the Spring of 2013, the TSA announced that they would begin to allow small sharps on board plane.

Very sensible in my opinon.

The backlash from lawmakers, flight attendants and busybodies was fierce, and the TSA backpedalled. Three years later and sharps are still banned.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
Because they also have access to axes, fire extinguishers, pure oxygen and, oh, I dunno, THE FLIGHT CONTROLS.

Security screening flight crews is the epitome of stupid.
2 United Pilots Suspected of Being Drunk Arrested in Glasgow

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...asgow-41698796

Sure you don't want to reconsider your blanket statement?

Drunk and at the controls. Nothing about that should concern anyone!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Drunk and at the controls. Nothing about that should concern anyone!
Of course that's a concern - But it still remains a fact that screening flight crews for shampoo bottles and swiss army knives is a stupid waste of time, money and resources.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:47 pm

FWIW, I have a lawsuit pending about exactly this: https://s.ai/tsa/legal/sfo

Hope to make it a class action suit if possible. It's a multi-billion (with B) dollar claim in damages from unlawfully seized liquids alone. But main thrust is injunction and compensation for what they've done to me at many airports throughout the country.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:34 pm

In the Spring of 2013, the TSA announced that they would begin to allow small sharps on board plane.

Very sensible in my opinon.

The backlash from lawmakers, flight attendants and busybodies was fierce, and the TSA backpedalled. Three years later and sharps are still banned.
Once the TSA backed down on pocket knives, I figured the liquid ban wouldn't go away for a while.

Since the ban isn't going away anytime soon. I would like to see some revisions. For example, there's no reason someone shouldn't be able to take a 6 oz bottle through security. That bottle will easily fit inside the quart bag. I also haven't figured out how a pie is allowed through security though. I'm not sure what the liquid or gel content of the average pie is, but I imagine its a lot more than 3.4 oz.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:27 pm

As a male, the liquid ban doesn't affect me too much - Any trip shorter than a week I don't really need much in the way of liquids. I use the hotel shampoo, so it's basically toothpaste and some hair gel.

Longer than a week and I usually check a bag, so it's moot.

For me, the sharps ban is the true hassle. I'd love to bring my leatherman. It's always so useful. But no.

Apparently this tool can be used in 2016 to take down a 100,000 lb aircraft.

Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course that's a concern - But it still remains a fact that screening flight crews for shampoo bottles and swiss army knives is a stupid waste of time, money and resources.
The statement,

"Security screening flight crews is the epitome of stupid"

is what I based my remark on. Not screening flight crews for LGA's......, which I would tend to agree with.

Flight crew can be terrorists just like anyone else, the likelihood is extremely low but still possible. They do have access to the things that would allow a successful attack to be carried out.

I don't see having one set of security rules for crew, airport/airline employees, passengers or anyone else entering the secure area as a bad thing.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
As a male, the liquid ban doesn't affect me too much - Any trip shorter than a week I don't really need much in the way of liquids. I use the hotel shampoo, so it's basically toothpaste and some hair gel.

Longer than a week and I usually check a bag, so it's moot.

For me, the sharps ban is the true hassle. I'd love to bring my leatherman. It's always so useful. But no.

Apparently this tool can be used in 2016 to take down a 100,000 lb aircraft.

Depending on the airport, a Harry Potter Magic Wand can also be used to wreak havoc.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see having one set of security rules for crew, airport/airline employees, passengers or anyone else entering the secure area as a bad thing.
But what is the point? Why screen an FA for sharps when s/he has access to an axe on the plane?

Why waste millions in tax dollars to screen flight crews?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:42 pm

But what is the point? Why screen an FA for sharps when s/he has access to an axe on the plane?

I wonder how the flight crews would feel about this. There is a KCM program; it's hard for me to imagine a flight crew member being in good standing with his/her employer but not allowed to participate in the KCM.

The crew members who went nuts over the thought of tiny knives and trekking poles being permitted on board might be in favor of crew member screening.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:45 pm

You're assuming that the sharps (or whatever else) a FA carries through a checkpoint actually make it onto the plane with the FA.

A FA could be bribed or blackmailed into carrying contraband through a checkpoint in order to hand off that contraband to someone else inside the sterile area --- someone intending to cause problems on a completely different flight.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
Depending on the airport, a Harry Potter Magic Wand can also be used to wreak havoc.
Well of course it can. At any airport. You can use it to summon an object, so a terrorist could summon a bomb on board. It can open locked objects, so it can be used to gain access to the cockpit. It can be used to kill people. It can be used to lock and secure the cockpit once an intruder has used it to get in. It can be used to blindfold the flight crew.

On and on and on, it's much more dangerous than a light saber.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
You're assuming that the sharps (or whatever else) a FA carries through a checkpoint actually make it onto the plane with the FA.

A FA could be bribed or blackmailed into carrying contraband through a checkpoint in order to hand off that contraband to someone else inside the sterile area --- someone intending to cause problems on a completely different flight.
That vulnerability currently exists. The FA who was caught with a rollaboard full of drugs was only caught because she got a random secondary. IIRC, she was a KCM.

I don't know what percentage of crew members are KCMs.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Originally Posted by chollie
That vulnerability currently exists. The FA who was caught with a rollaboard full of drugs was only caught because she got a random secondary. IIRC, she was a KCM.
Which is why everyone who passes through a checkpoint should be screened in the same way --- airport workers, TSA employees, flight crews, and passengers alike. We certainly don't need to be creating *more* opportunities for contraband to enter the sterile area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.