Wiki Posts
Search

Another TSA Bad Apple

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Another TSA Bad Apple

So much for background checks. You would think he wouldn't do this at the place of his employment.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...charge-n613711
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
So much for background checks. You would think he wouldn't do this at the place of his employment.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...charge-n613711
Guy is a creep and I'm glad to see he's been suspended without pay. That said I fail to see what this has to do with a background check since there's no mention of him having a previous record. May have been his first time doing this or maybe the first and only time he's been caught.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I fail to see what this has to do with a background check since there's no mention of him having a previous record.
TSA critics complain that TSOs on duty are not screened and observed as passengers are. TSA defenders claim that such scrutiny of TSOs by TSOs themselves is unnecessary, as their integrity is assured by the fact that they have passed a background check.

So, incidents like this lead to the obvious sarcastic reaction of "gee, that background check was sure effective in this case ..."
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Still...a FAM who was taking pictures up girls' skirts while on the job. Now a TSO taking shots up girls' skirts - while on the job.

Seems a statistically high percentage for organizations the size of TSA or the FAMs. My company is twice that size and I have never heard of a single individual being caught and convicted of this.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 21, 2016 at 3:09 pm Reason: Please read moderator's note below
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:50 am

TSA does not tolerate illegal, unethical or immoral conduct," a spokesperson for the TSA said in a statement.

And yet, Kelly Hogan remained in his position until Congress presdured TSA.

And yet, TSA confiRmed 3 counts of lack of candor against Joseph Salvatore ( a high ranking official at TSA); Salvatore still works for TSA.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

He left out the rest of the statement. Let me complete it for him.

"TSA does not tolerate illegal, unethical or immoral conduct, except in our Headquarters Staff, whom being based in Washington are expected to conform to the normal behavior of illegal, unethical and immoral conduct."
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
Still...a FAM who was taking pictures up girls' skirts while on the job. Now a TSO taking shots up girls' skirts - while on the job.

Seems a statistically high percentage for organizations the size of TSA or the FAMs. My company is twice that size and I have never heard of a single individual being caught and convicted of this.

<redacted by moderator>
I'm not disagreeing with you cholie, but let's be realistic - if your company is twice the size of TSA, that would put it at about 120,000 people. How would you know if someone was arrested for this kind of behavior in one of your company's offices in another city? It's not like they're going to write it up in the company newsletter along with this month's big contracts. So, really, that's not an apt comparison.

<deleted response to a redacted portion of quoted post>

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 21, 2016 at 3:10 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Not just the TSA

County cop on the prowl, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mepage%2Fstory
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

It's time for the periodic reminder:
Please Read: Important Information

Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. While this forum permits discussion and civil debate of travel security policy, the FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules still apply. The moderators will enforce a zero-tolerance policy against personal attacks – against a fellow FTer, TS/S posters in general, or TSA employees as a group. While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, gropers, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted.

Moderators may delete posts and move or close threads without notice. This notice may be considered your “warning”.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm not disagreeing with you cholie, but let's be realistic - if your company is twice the size of TSA, that would put it at about 120,000 people. How would you know if someone was arrested for this kind of behavior in one of your company's offices in another city? It's not like they're going to write it up in the company newsletter along with this month's big contracts. So, really, that's not an apt comparison.
Gotta disagree. We have a huge concentration in one area and trust me, local news loves nothing better than to report on this stuff if it involves someone working for one of the very large, public local companies. One time they reported on a driver caught in the HOV lane with an inflatable dummy passenger. They claimed it happens all the time, but the one made the news just happened to be employed at one of the high-profile big local companies. They do the same thing for incidents like this if someone is a cop, daycare worker, teacher, medical profession, military, cops.

Now there probably has been someone at my company who was a peeper and got caught. We do have an awfully strong internal grapevine about this stuff, however - in part because we seem to have an unusually high (IME) number of people that peruse obituaries and police blotters looking for this kind of stuff. That said, TSA has had two incidents. Two incidents too many. I find it particularly disturbing in an organization that urges everyone else to say something if they see something. This may have been the first time he did this, and he may have gone out of his way to avoid other TSOs watching. Maybe. Or not.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
TSA does not tolerate illegal, unethical or immoral conduct," a spokesperson for the TSA said in a statement.

And yet, Kelly Hogan remained in his position until Congress presdured TSA.

And yet, TSA confiRmed 3 counts of lack of candor against Joseph Salvatore ( a high ranking official at TSA); Salvatore still works for TSA.
Yep -- They have been quiet about any recent arrests of clerks who have stolen from passengers or clerks who are on the take from druggies. Perhaps this isn't news any more....

Good reason to keep the heat on AskTSA to remind people to call the airport cops and ask them to pull checkpoint and baggage search video when something has been stolen from their luggage.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought Everyone Would Like to Know...

... about the rights and benefits the suspended clerk in entitled to while on suspension.

Summarizing what's in this OPM Handbook chapter:

1. He gets to keep his life insurance
2. He gets to keep his health insurance if he pays the full shot. (I guess he would have to go on Obamacare if he decides to drop out of FEHB.)
3. He doesn't continue to accrue leave and time-in-service.

And, he has full appeal and reinstatement rights and a union more than glad to help him.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
... about the rights and benefits the suspended clerk in entitled to while on suspension.

Summarizing what's in this OPM Handbook chapter:

1. He gets to keep his life insurance
2. He gets to keep his health insurance if he pays the full shot. (I guess he would have to go on Obamacare if he decides to drop out of FEHB.)
3. He doesn't continue to accrue leave and time-in-service.

And, he has full appeal and reinstatement rights and a union more than glad to help him.
TSA claims "exclusive control" over All benefits, compensation, terms of employment over screeners.

Until actually convicted, there is no reason to deny a person what present rights they have.

Sadly, this will likely end up like the colorado scope&grope, no victims came forward thus no charges were filed.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yep -- They have been quiet about any recent arrests of clerks who have stolen from passengers or clerks who are on the take from druggies. Perhaps this isn't news any more....

Good reason to keep the heat on AskTSA to remind people to call the airport cops and ask them to pull checkpoint and baggage search video when something has been stolen from their luggage.
How does one notify the TSA that they want either checkpoint or baggage video pulled if a loss is not discovered until one arrives at one's destination or a loss has been discovered after takeoff?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
How does one notify the TSA that they want either checkpoint or baggage video pulled if a loss is not discovered until one arrives at one's destination or a loss has been discovered after takeoff?
You submit a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request to TSA.

Depending on tbe Airport, which may be operated by a local government entity, you submit a FOIA request to them as well. Most local governments have public records requests processes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.