Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS proposes requesting social media identifiers on I-94 and ESTA forms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DHS proposes requesting social media identifiers on I-94 and ESTA forms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Copyright Infringement

Please do not copy and paste complete copyrighted articles:
FlyerTalk Rule 9:

Posting Copyrighted Material

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy.
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The New York Times:
Harvard Student Says He Was Barred From U.S. Over His Friends’ Social Media Posts

A Palestinian student from Lebanon who was set to begin his freshman year at Harvard was denied entry to the United States after immigration officials objected to his friends’ social media posts, he said this week, prompting furor among free-speech advocates.

Mr. Ajjawi, a resident of Tyre, Lebanon, said in the account that his phone and laptop were searched and that he was questioned at the airport about his friends’ social media activity. He wrote that an agent had yelled at him and “said she found people posting political points of view that oppose the U.S. on my friend list.” He told the agent that he should not be held responsible for others’ posts, the statement said. “I responded that I have no business with such posts and that I didn’t like, share or comment on them and told her that I shouldn’t be held responsible for what others post,” he wrote. He added, “I have no single post on my timeline discussing politics.”

Mr. Ajjawi told The Crimson that his visa was then canceled and that he was sent back to Lebanon. Classes at Harvard are set to begin Sept. 3.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was going to happen sooner or later; poor choice of cases . . .
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s happened before that social media posts resulted in problems with visa-seeking and/or border crossing/entry/admissibility. But wasn’t the matter of CBP turning away the Palestinian with a Harvard admission a product of something other than requesting social media identifiers on I-94 and ESTA forms? Wasn’t it the product of his electronic device being searched? All the news stories I’ve read on this indicate it’s the product of his electronic devices being searched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.